gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 04:55:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW to Make Global Announcements at Capitol Records Monday  (Read 13673 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 09:09:45 AM »

i'd guess along with many here that the main announcement will be relating to a new contract for TLOS and possibly other releases, and since it was reported that a film crew was in for the recent recording sessions, I would imagine they'll be around on Monday also...........)

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised to see an accompanying DVD called TLOS: Goin' Home, or TLOS: Been Way Too Long, or ..... Just so they don't include a lot of those Brian fake-producing scenes. "Sounds great" "Could I hear that again" "That's f---ing great" police
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »

i'd guess along with many here that the main announcement will be relating to a new contract for TLOS and possibly other releases, and since it was reported that a film crew was in for the recent recording sessions, I would imagine they'll be around on Monday also...........)

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised to see an accompanying DVD called TLOS: Goin' Home, or TLOS: Been Way Too Long, or ..... Just so they don't include a lot of those Brian fake-producing scenes. "Sounds great" "Could I hear that again" "That's f---ing great" police
Or any more staged pep talks. "Now remember, guys, we're not trying to make an album of smile here, just to play the songs." [Group nodding thoughtfully...]

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:16 AM »

Hmm, well I had heard more TLOS recordings were done in late April.  Don't know how credible it is, but if true I wonder if these were final touches.  We shll find out soon enough.

Very credible, but the late April sessions were not the 'final touches'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »

How plausible is this:
Capitol agrees to release TLOS...in exchange, Brian agrees to allow Capitol to release a Smile sessions box set?

I can dream, can't I?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 12:06:09 PM »

How plausible is this:
Capitol agrees to release TLOS...in exchange, Brian agrees to allow Capitol to release a Smile sessions box set?

I can dream, can't I?

I may need to change my pants more then once if that happens.  Cheesy
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »

How plausible is this:

I can dream, can't I?

That would make two of us.

Then again, in BB/BW-land, nothing surprises me.  Stranger things have happened.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »

How plausible is this:

I can dream, can't I?

That would make two of us.

Then again, in BB/BW-land, nothing surprises me.  Stranger things have happened.

I certainly don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that we might see some archive material being made available in some form or another.  Whatever did happen to the propsed Beach Boys's Central anyway.

Another exciting possibility for US fans is that, IF the announcement is about TLOS, then Capitol may insist Brian does some promotion in some form............... You may get your TLOS concerts yet!!!!
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »

Brian has been chosen to do the honors of pushing the plunger to detonate the whole building while Smile is playing in the background!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 10:05:55 PM »

In a perfect alternate universe, Brian would announce that Dennis is indeed alive, but that he was "killed" in order to force him into a very extended rehab stay, and that he has only truly recovered in the last few months or so. 

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »

Maybe he'll announce what everyone else has already said (an official release date for TLOS, a US tour, and the singles box set), then he'll mention the re-release of POB and announce another box set: The Wilson Brothers: The Music of Brian, Dennis, and Carl Listening
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »

Is it plausible that Brian might tour the POB album? I mean, he DID record a version of Carl's "Heaven", seemingly totally out of the blue.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2008, 02:12:31 AM »

Whether it's announced tomorrow or not, once TLOS is out there, then there is big potential for a "Best of" solo compilation. Which, I think, would shift.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 04:12:27 AM »

Is it plausible that Brian might tour the POB album? I mean, he DID record a version of Carl's "Heaven", seemingly totally out of the blue.

That would be one of the coolest things any musician has ever pulled off if they had Brian tour his deceased brother's unreleased final album.  Man, talk about adding to the "amazing things Brian Wilson did" legend. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2008, 05:30:32 AM »

That would be one of the coolest things any musician has ever pulled off if they had Brian tour his deceased brother's unreleased final album.  Man, talk about adding to the "amazing things Brian Wilson did" legend. 

You think Brian - or his people - are even aware that POB/Bambu is set to be reissued next month ?

The subject of the announcement is easy enough to work out - we've had the biggest clue already.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 05:57:40 AM »

Maybe if POB/Bambu was being released on Capitol...but it isn't...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2008, 06:52:52 AM »

Maybe if POB/Bambu was being released on Capitol...but it isn't...

There loss..

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 09:58:48 AM »

Whether it's announced tomorrow or not, once TLOS is out there, then there is big potential for a "Best of" solo compilation. Which, I think, would shift.

Yeah, John Fogerty did a similar thing. Goin' back to Fantasy and then get a Fogerty-best of (but including his CCR-stuff, among the solo-tunes) out. But he had some real big hits, even as a solo-artist, unlike Brian....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »

Yeah, John Fogerty did a similar thing. Goin' back to Fantasy and then get a Fogerty-best of (but including his CCR-stuff, among the solo-tunes) out. But he had some real big hits, even as a solo-artist, unlike Brian....

Plus, none of Brian's solo stuff (with one exception) was on Capitol - it was on Sire, Giant, Rhino, Nonsuch, Brimel, Oglio, Sanctury, BriMel, Arista, Columbia, MCA, Disney, Windham Hill, Virgin, Sony & Warner Brothers.

Oh, and Hallmark.  Smiley

That said, I thinka BW sampler 1986-2008 would be a neat little set. Call it, oh, Last Wilson Standing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:15:51 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »

When Bob Dylan returned to Columbia, he gave them Blood On The Tracks, so you never know. Of course, it could be another Knocked Out Loaded....
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 01:08:09 PM »

Plus, none of Brian's solo stuff (with one exception) was on Capitol - it was on Sire, Giant, Rhino, Nonsuch, Brimel, Oglio, Sanctury, BriMel, Arista, Columbia, MCA, Disney, Windham Hill, Virgin, Sony & Warner Brothers.

Oh, and Hallmark.  Smiley
Is there a difference between Brimel and BriMel (besides the capital M, of course)?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »

Errrrr... no. I lost count.  Roll Eyes

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 03:34:43 PM »

You think Brian - or his people - are even aware that POB/Bambu is set to be reissued next month ?

The subject of the announcement is easy enough to work out - we've had the biggest clue already.

HEY!!! Andrew's giving us another one of his cryptic messages!  Lets all get our decoder rings out. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2008, 05:13:37 PM »

Andrew paints a more daunting picture than really exists.

Sire, Giant, Rhino, Nonsuch and Warner Bros. are all owned by the same folks. They are all parts of Warner Bros. records. That covers the vast majority of Brian's regular solo catalogue.

Brimel was never quite a label, and Oglio and Sanctuary just distributed BW's live recordings with the Brimel stamp.

Arista, Columbia and Sony are again all under the same label. They did the Christmas album.

MCA had Don Was's vanity label, and as such released the IJWMFTT soundtrack.

Disney, Windham Hill and Virgin released one-off tracks, which might prove difficult to license, but who knows.

Really, Warners could do the compilation now if they wanted.
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 12:01:44 AM »

From "California Role"
"You don't have to climb the Capitol Tower, or play the Hollywood Bowl, if there's a roll in your heart and a rock in your soul"

But of course Brian's doing both, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the TLOS release date is around the Hollywood Bowl dates.

Very astute, Jeff!! (did you write the press release also!!?)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 01:31:52 AM »

I think it will definitely be an announcement that "TLOS" will be released by Capitol Records. It's no coincidence that Brian has been doing some recording there.

And also, some kind of promo campaign for the 'Singles Collection'.

But Al and Mike's recent legal settlement (and Brian's presence there in court) makes me hope for more (like the BB's appearing on "TLOS", a 'Smile' box, a PBS concert including David, Bruce, Al, Mike and Brian).

oops - "Should have looked further before posting"  Very cool Brian is back with Capitol!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:36:32 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx