gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680741 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:20:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joke Of The Day  (Read 6952 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

Please trust me when I say that I know how utterly stupid lists ranking works of art in numerical order are.  They inevitably show up the stupidity and subjectivity and lack of cohesive standards of the compiler or compilers.

But out of sheer, brain-bending boredom- the next option was to stand next to the parakeets' cage and say "Pretty bird! Pretty bird!" for twenty minutes or so, which they don't get a whole lot out of, either-  I was reading the Rolling Stone 500 greatest albums list, looking for something really good that I didn't have, or something, when this jumped out and bit me:

254. Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston

255. The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society, The Kinks

Fifteen spaces later, The Beach Boys Today! finally shows up- the first Beach Boys appearance on the chart since the number two spot with Pet Sounds, and only thirty-three spots behind McDonna's Like A Prayer album.

How do they sleep?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »

How do they sleep?

BLISSFULLY.

ignorance is bliss
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »

I hope "Muswell Hillbillies" fared better

Watson, did you hear this?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »

Oh, heck no.  It's not as good as Whitney Houston or McDonna, either.  I'm pretty sure spot number 255 was the Kinks' first appearance on that list, but glad to know there's another Muswell Hillbillies supporter out there- personally I like it a little better than Arthur or Lola Vs....

In the insane non-logic of those things, though, it's fun to think that there are only 33 albums on Earth that are better than The Beach Boys Today!  but not as good as McDonna's Like A Prayer.  Or that there are about a hundred or so albums better than The Complete Hank Williams but not as good as Straight Outta Compton. I must be a pretty astute listener, because I distinctly remember hearing Straight Outta Compton way back in art school and casually remarking- "Say, that's a lot better than Hank Williams' whole career. Good job, guys." Guess those guys who didn't agree back then feel silly now that the list is out.

All that aside, though, their top ten or so are not silly at all, with Pepper and Pet Sounds as the top two, pretty consist choices on lists like that- I'd be pretty close to the same list. I guess it's easier for some strange reason to choose the ten greatest than numbers 201-300.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:23:36 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »

It's funny that this thread begins with something like "I know these lists don't matter," etc., and yet it goes on to take issue with the choices. Make your list: while I don't know your taste, I'm certain I'd mock it. And you could do the same to mine. Are we all so desperate to have our own taste reaffirmed?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »

Rolling Stone, in trying not to piss anyone off, made a list that would piss everyone off. Thus three being three Eminem albums on the list and all of them placing higher than Sunflower.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:37:25 AM »

It's funny that this thread begins with something like "I know these lists don't matter," etc., and yet it goes on to take issue with the choices. Make your list: while I don't know your taste, I'm certain I'd mock it. And you could do the same to mine. Are we all so desperate to have our own taste reaffirmed?

Not really funny...I know what you're saying, but a better synopsis of what I was saying would be: I know these lists are silly, but gosh, look how really silly this is...

They list hits compilations and box sets, so that an album like Thriller is rated 33 places ahead of Ray Charles' entire Atlantic Records catalog , i.e. his work from 1952-1959. The anarchic, garage-y semi-competence of Never mind the bollocks here's the Sex Pistols is eight places "greater" than the consummate, on-fire musicianship of the Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East. (How can those two possibly share a category?) Phil Spector's A Christmas Gift For You comes in at 142, trailing The Notorious B.I.G.'s Ready To Die (which he did) at 133, but both are way behind number 64, Spector's  Back To Mono, which contains  number 142 A Christmas Gift For You. And as far as I saw- the first 300- the Good Vibrations box set is not listed (nor is Sunflower, Friends, All Summer Long, Pacific Ocean Blue, Endless Summer, Summer In Paradise, etc.

Most of the selections are excellent, especially within the first hundred, but when you start looking closely it gets curiouser and curiouser.

Please rank and number the following items:

Brussel Sprouts
Yellow
Hot Dogs
Oil Filters
Julie Newmar
Keys
The White-breasted Nuthatch
Poetry

That's my point.

Incidentally, I wasn't looking at the list for validation of my utterly exquisite taste, which you all could benefit from emulating, but for ideas- I was in the mood to buy a few albums. Sirs and Madams,   Rock! I did so.

Brian, Dennis, & Carl

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:40:59 AM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:56:16 AM »

I'd always prefer a number of individual top ten lists reflecting personal favorites over one single oh-so-carefully thought-out top 300 of the "greatest" records ever.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 02:38:45 AM »

LOL @ rolling stone...

come on now.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 03:52:19 AM »

I'd always prefer a number of individual top ten lists reflecting personal favorites over one single oh-so-carefully thought-out top 300 of the "greatest" records ever.

Agree completely- it's the ambition of it all- throwing Hank Williams and Miles Davis and Notorious B.I.G. and the Sex Pistols and Frank Sinatra onto the same list- that ends up making it so laughable.

LOL @ rolling stone...

come on now.

Agree with this, too.  The magazine that was giving Sgt. Pepper and Pet Sounds- their numbers one and two- four stars out of five in the seventies and eighties guide books, but giving five stars to The Beatles' Second Album and All Summer Long, neither of which (I think) they currently rank...

I'll never forget their analysis of the genius of "Don't Worry, Baby"...you know why it's a great song?  Because the car is a sexual metaphor.  Now you can impress your friends.

The hypocrisy, the smugness, the biases...removing those from Rolling Stone would be like removing the staples.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 06:51:46 AM »

I agree that personal lists make more sense. To pretend there is such a thing possible as an objective "greatest" list is ridiculous. Surfer Joe complained about Allman Bros. being too low on the list, for example; but there's no way in hell I'd put any Allman Bros. on a list, ever. I despise them despite their talent. On the other hand, my top 500 would definitely include some NWA, which earlier was complained about. It would also without question include another half-dozen or so hip hop albums I think are brilliant. (Although not the Biggie or Eminem mentioned earlier.) This thread ought to be moved to General Music Discussions, by the way.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »

I'm not seeing the "complaints" you're talking about. I used the proximity of the Allman Brothers Band to the Sex Pistols on a list to make the point that they are not only not remotely comparable, but actually sort of opposite (except in that both bands were revolutionary and influential). And yet there they are with Frank Sinatra and Miles Davis.  And there an NWA album is with Hank Williams' whole career, compiled on ten CDs.  Is Straight Outta Compton (which I don't dislike, by the way- haven't heard it in years and years) better or worse than say, a live radio performance of "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You"...? Or Hank's conversation with  Minnie Pearl?

Maybe that makes the point clearly.

Can't imagine how anyone who's heard At Fillmore East could "despise" the enormous talents of the Allman Brothers Band...hilarious to me. Incidentally, Duane and Gregg Allman made their first significant appearance on a stage warming up for the Beach Boys in Florida in 1965. Later I think the two bands connected once or twice at the Fillmore East or West...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »

Can't imagine how anyone who's heard At Fillmore East could "despise" the enormous talents of the Allman Brothers Band...hilarious to me. Incidentally, Duane and Gregg Allman made their first significant appearance on a stage warming up for the Beach Boys in Florida in 1965. Later I think the two bands connected once or twice at the Fillmore East or West...
       Glad I can amuse you. But I didn't question their talents, either. I just can't stomach listening to them (no matter who they opened for in 1965).

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »

The anarchic, garage-y semi-competence of Never mind the bollocks here's the Sex Pistols is eight places "greater" than the consummate, on-fire musicianship of the Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East.

I've never really been a huge Pistols fan, but I think that album deserves a high ranking on any list of important albums. First reason: they made rock & roll a threat again. In a way, they took rock music back to where it was when Bill Haley and Elvis stepped into the spotlights. They made it something dangerous and shocking again. Second reason: many people like to believe that the Pistols were just a bunch of punks who couldn't really play, but I disagree with that. Sure any musician could easily play the notes, but I don't think that many people could do it with the same drive and attitude as the Pistols. They rocked.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »

glad I can amuse you. But I didn't question their talents, either. I just can't stomach listening to them (no matter who they opened for in 1965).

Quoth H. Munster: Darn! Darn! Darn!

The reason I posted here, by the way, is that my secondary point was the low showing of the Beach Boys. Aside from the non-validity of lists like that, in my view, the Beach Boys- who get a lot of critical respect in general- outside of Pet Sounds they don't get much recognition as an album band. They're treated as a singles act, which isn't accurate when you listen to albums as distinct as Sunflower or Friends or Smiley Smile or Today.  To me they kind of compare to the Kinks in this regard- albums seemed to reflect a total change in mood more than overall direction or growth (like the Beatles). Maybe that's getting too esoteric...but it remains that outside of their specific fan base they only really seemed to score big time, for the ages, at album length just the once.  I think that's hurt their overall stature just a little, just like it's hurt CCR's.

I wish Capitol had had the vision to keep Endless Summer in print and treat it as the classic album it is, rather than keep the repackaging in constant change for economic purposes.  The album belongs in the public consciousness for good, and would have made a nice companion to Pet Sounds when people do start thinking about lists.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »

I've never really been a huge Pistols fan, but I think that album deserves a high ranking on any list of important albums.

Agree.  The album is sitting right here by my desk...(one of about a hundred).  Not a huge fan either, but I do get it.

...many people like to believe that the Pistols were just a bunch of punks who couldn't really play, but I disagree with that. Sure any musician could easily play the notes, but I don't think that many people could do it with the same drive and attitude as the Pistols. They rocked.

That's interesting.  They do have that image...maybe they fostered it a little themselves.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:18:18 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »

Please rank and number the following items:

Brussel Sprouts
Yellow
Hot Dogs
Oil Filters
Julie Newmar
Keys
The White-breasted Nuthatch
Poetry

I would put Julie Newmar at #1 (purrrrrrrfect as Catwoman) and Brussels Sprouts in last place...but that's just my own personal taste.  LOL LOL   

Lists, especially ones in music magazines, are so subjective and a lot of times pretty much don't make sense. Rolling Stone, Pitchfork (technically a website), Blender, and Spin have all pissed me off with their stupid lists and such. But I still enjoy reading them just out of curiosity to see how my bands, especially the BBs, fare on the pointless lists.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »

For what it's worth, Sunflower is on that list.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 07:23:32 PM »

You're right- I hadn't read past 300.

2.     Pet Sounds
270. The Beach Boys Today!
380. Sunflower

Not as good as (What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis (376),  CrazySexyCool by TLC (377), or Roxy Music's Siren(371), but better than A Quick One (Happy Jack) (383), A Hard Day's Night (388), or Roxy Music's Country Life(387). Maybe if they had substituted "Walkin" for "Tears In The Morning" it would have been better than the TLC album.

I would put Julie Newmar at #1 (purrrrrrrfect as Catwoman) and Brussels Sprouts in last place...but that's just my own personal taste.  LOL LOL   

And your personal taste would be inarguably correct, sir. Julie Newmar would come in just ahead of Sergeant Pepper .

Brussel sprouts would tie with Summer In Paradise.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 07:18:27 AM »

I've never really been a huge Pistols fan, but I think that album deserves a high ranking on any list of important albums.

Agree.  The album is sitting right here by my desk...(one of about a hundred).  Not a huge fan either, but I do get it.

...many people like to believe that the Pistols were just a bunch of punks who couldn't really play, but I disagree with that. Sure any musician could easily play the notes, but I don't think that many people could do it with the same drive and attitude as the Pistols. They rocked.

That's interesting.  They do have that image...maybe they fostered it a little themselves.

When watching "The Making of 'Never Mind The Bollocks...' documentary, I was amazed when Chris Thomas pointed out that "Anarchy In The U.K." had about six guitar overdubs on it. I had honestly never thought of that kind of attention to detail going into this seminal punk album, but given that Chris Thomas had made his name working with Roxy Music, it makes perfect sense.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 06:08:33 AM »

any entity that would count an antisocial misogynist wannabe such as enema em as worthy of being on a list of any kind other than on a list of those to be executed is not an entiy of any worth...

and if the entity is going to "count" record company hyped white substitutes for black artists then Pat Boone should be on the list at least twice.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 10:00:09 AM »

ranking 500 or whatever it is albums doesn't even make sense to my brain.  rolling stone seems to have an endless supply of these books or magazines or websites and they change every few years to include some recent critics' darlings, only to have those titles disappear in the next edition.  Kinks' village green (one of my favorites) is a good example of an album that was all but ignored until "Picture Book" was used in a TV commercial.  I think that pretty much sums it up.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 02:35:51 PM »

ranking 500 or whatever it is albums doesn't even make sense to my brain.  rolling stone seems to have an endless supply of these books or magazines or websites and they change every few years to include some recent critics' darlings, only to have those titles disappear in the next edition.  Kinks' village green (one of my favorites) is a good example of an album that was all but ignored until "Picture Book" was used in a TV commercial.  I think that pretty much sums it up.
I agree with your main point, but you're wrong about the Kinks' Village Green. It was an indie favorite in the mid-90s when bands such as those in the Elephant 6 sprung up. Kevin Barnes of Of Montreal, for example, always praised the band and that album. But of course the commercial brought it to another new set of ears a decade later.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »

Yeah, but did they talk about it in Rolling Stone?

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »

village green has always been an album respected by real people who like good music ....

but yes, the point is the popular critics (rolling stone etc) jump on these bandwagons when the hip cred becomes mainstream ...

there are plenty of incredible, noteworthy albums that do not appear on these lists and will not appear until they gain widespread attention somehow

the previously mentioned muswell hillbillies is a great album that kinks fans and indie musicians etc know is great ... i doubt that appears on the list

INCREDIBLE albums that i would suspect are not on the list (i have not even read this list):

leonard cohen - death of a ladies' man, new skin for the old ceremony
beach boys - friends, surf's up, holland, love you, DW pacific ocean blue
tim buckley - greetings from L.A., starsailor, etc
kinks - muswell hillbillies, great lost kinks album
curt boettcher - there's an innocent face
anything by the turtles, lovin' spoonful, ventures
anything by brian jonestown massacre
belle & sebastian - fold your hands child, dear catastrophe waitress

... i'm sure we could all go on and on all day ... point is we may see some of these down the line (especially after RNR hall of fame inductions etc) once more people start listening or some corporation places a track in a commercial

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx