gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:15:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just Confirmed  (Read 4592 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »

From the Blue Board -- a mixture of good and bad.

From Brian's Management:

There has been a lot of speculation on what has happened to Jim and Bob. It was a decision solely made by them to leave the band to concentrate on their work in Chicago.

Brian and Melinda applaud them on their time with the band and wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

That said, we are pleased to announce the return of Michael D’Amico who will be taking Jim’s place on drums and we are happy to announce the addition of Brett Simons on bass. Welcome!!
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »

From the Blue Board -- a mixture of good and bad.

From Brian's Management:

There has been a lot of speculation on what has happened to Jim and Bob. It was a decision solely made by them to leave the band to concentrate on their work in Chicago.

Brian and Melinda applaud them on their time with the band and wish them all the best in their future endeavors.

That said, we are pleased to announce the return of Michael D’Amico who will be taking Jim’s place on drums and we are happy to announce the addition of Brett Simons on bass. Welcome!!

Well, I hate to see Jim and Bob go, but since it was their own doing I feel much better than if they had been pushed out. And it is great to know Mike D'Amico is back in the band!

I don't know much about Brett Simons at all, I'll have to see what I can learn about him. I do know he played on the Dotted Line CD with Scott Bennett and he was/is from the Chicago area, that's about it.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 03:23:21 PM by Jim McShane » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

He seems to have a website:

http://www.brettsimons.com/
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:18:49 PM »

REALLY gonna miss Bob + Jimmy...GREAT rhythm section...!!.. It seems kinda odd they would both leave at the same time even tho they both work + live in chicago... They are both free lance musicians trying to make a name + living...What"s good for one may not be good for other one..  They wouldn't make that decision together...SO..I'm so glad to have met them + watched them play with BW....If i ever need a rhythm section Who else ya gonna call..LOL...!!.. Gonna miss  Bob"s smile + Attitude And the way he nimbly play"s his bass..And Jimmie Is a drummer who can rock + be subtle + still play those odd time signatures   ... Two fine musicians... And i dont know anything about the new bass player but he has big shoes to fill...Mike the new drummer is a fine musician who has played with BW before so all is still well. STILL Gonna miss the Tasty Bros....!!!!!!!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:47:33 PM »

MIKEY'S COMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!  YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!  I'm awfully sorry to see Bob and Jim go; they've been a very important part of the equation for the last 9 years.  But i'm VERY well pleased the hear that Mikey's returning!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim & Bob at the Cannery the afternoon before Brian's Vegas show in '06.  Very nice guys indeed.  It'll be weird seeing BW without Bob's smiling face and Jim flaling away on the kit.   But, good to see Mikey back.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »

From Brian's Management:

It was a decision solely made by them to leave the band to concentrate on their work in Chicago.

I never considered Brian to be that prolific recording, or that extensive touring... It's too bad that Bob and Jim couldn't work on their material AND stay with Brian, maybe work it in between albums and tours. Their music must be pretty important to them to give up working with the people they were working with.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:21:31 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 06:19:10 PM »

I second Susan's response above, 100%.  Cool

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »

Honestly, the multi-thread drama over a bassist and drummer leaving what amounts to a cover band has me baffled. Jim and Bob are great--I loved the music they played. I don't doubt that they are, as many people have said, great people, very nice. But for whatever reason, they moved on. Until I read quotes from them saying they were abused or mistreated or something, frankly, it isn't a big deal at all. People join and quit bands constantly for a lot of reasons. Who cares? And if you care because of the quality of music, keep in mind that this band plays almost all old music, music that the current players are trying to recreate more than anything else. We know Mike D'Amico can do the same, and so can some huge number of other professional musicians. It isn't Lennon leaving McCartney.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 03:16:08 AM »

It isn't Lennon leaving McCartney.

No, but it IS one of the only changes this particular band has seen in its 9 year history.  And one never knows the *real* reason for something like this with the BW management team, regardless of the story they tell.  I think it's not so much drama at the leaving as it is reaction to a rare change, and questioning of the truth.

Besides...this IS a board about Brian and the BBs.  If people can't post here to process this, then why bother having the board?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 05:47:14 AM »

I think it's not so much drama at the leaving as it is reaction to a rare change, and questioning of the truth.

That and the way the management seem to be so slow in responding to the understandable interest. The rumors about Bob & Jimmy have been flying around for weeks, yet it wasn't until they were patently absent from a BW band gig that an official announcement was forthcoming.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 06:21:09 AM »

Honestly, the multi-thread drama over a bassist and drummer leaving what amounts to a cover band has me baffled. Jim and Bob are great--I loved the music they played. I don't doubt that they are, as many people have said, great people, very nice. But for whatever reason, they moved on. Until I read quotes from them saying they were abused or mistreated or something, frankly, it isn't a big deal at all. People join and quit bands constantly for a lot of reasons. Who cares? And if you care because of the quality of music, keep in mind that this band plays almost all old music, music that the current players are trying to recreate more than anything else. We know Mike D'Amico can do the same, and so can some huge number of other professional musicians. It isn't Lennon leaving McCartney.

Well, to me at least they amount to much more than a covers band. They're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, and a fantastic backing group as a result of the chemistry between members, so when members change so does the chemistry and people care. That and the simple fact that people grow attached to familiar faces and people who've contributed to their enjoyment of great music.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 11:23:48 AM »

Well, to me at least they amount to much more than a covers band. They're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, and a fantastic backing group as a result of the chemistry between members, so when members change so does the chemistry and people care. That and the simple fact that people grow attached to familiar faces and people who've contributed to their enjoyment of great music.

Total agreement from me. It's much more than musical ability, it involves relationships and chemistry for sure.

As well they have begun to create a body of work of their own in the last few years - parts of BWPS, WDTPOL, What Love Can Do, The Christmas CD originals, TLOS, even parts of GIOMH (in live performances). Besides, if the composer is part of the band, it's hard to call it a "cover" band.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 11:36:22 AM »

When the vast majority of the material they're playing is 40+ years old and the composer's role seems primarily to be showing up for performances and reading from the teleprompter, it gets easier to call it a covers band.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »

The thought of playing a 'Greatest Hits Tour' would have me throwing in the towel!
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »

The thought of playing a 'Greatest Hits Tour' would have me throwing in the towel!

yeah, fancy having to play all that rubbish all the time.  Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx