gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:32:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Ocean Blue - Review + more news  (Read 10387 times)
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »

http://www.buddyhead.com/2008/05/05/dennis-wilson-pacific-ocean-blue-reissued-finally/

Quote from this review:
First, let me admit that when I first heard Taylor finished a Dennis song, it didn’t sound like a very good idea. Man I was wrong (which is a pretty rare thing mind you). After hearing both the version of “Holy Man” on disc 2 and the “London Version” (which will come out as a a single separately and features Brian May & Roger Taylor of Queen singing the chorus, doing back ups, Rog lays down some sick percussion and Brian rips a “face-melting” guitar solo as well) all I can say is that Dennis would be proud of how everyone came together and finished his song in a very tasteful and Dennis-like fashion.

Holy Man will be released as a single, Jon?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »

http://www.buddyhead.com/2008/05/05/dennis-wilson-pacific-ocean-blue-reissued-finally/

Quote from this review:
First, let me admit that when I first heard Taylor finished a Dennis song, it didn’t sound like a very good idea. Man I was wrong (which is a pretty rare thing mind you). After hearing both the version of “Holy Man” on disc 2 and the “London Version” (which will come out as a a single separately and features Brian May & Roger Taylor of Queen singing the chorus, doing back ups, Rog lays down some sick percussion and Brian rips a “face-melting” guitar solo as well) all I can say is that Dennis would be proud of how everyone came together and finished his song in a very tasteful and Dennis-like fashion.

Holy Man will be released as a single, Jon?
There's a possibility there will be a third non LP version of Holy Man released at some point separately from the POB/Bambu package...Itunes or a single...again its the same basic DW track with Taylor Hawkins' vocal...with some added production by the Queen guys. This was all experimental and it just depends on if Guercio and Sony are happy with the experiment. May I reiterate...Holy Man is the only track on the POB/Bambu that has recorded bits added beyond what DW originally cut, and the orig. pure DW version of HM is included in the set... so people don't freak out.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:51:29 PM »

Wow, "Under The Moonlight" (downloadable from the link above) sounds fantastic! That's a great Dennis vocal; the track is a little similar to "What's Wrong", but Dennis is much looser and wilder with his delivery and when the horns come in...well, just perfect!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:53:41 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »

Great to hear Roger Taylor and Brian May are on that track!

And both tracks on that site ("River Song" and "Under The Moonlight") sound better than ever!!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »

Oh, I forgot to ask, how did those two Queen guys get involved? Does anyone know?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »

Oh, I forgot to ask, how did those two Queen guys get involved? Does anyone know?
They are huge BB's fans, Roger is reportedly a DW fan...and friends of Taylor Hawkins. And anyone who hears Holy Man seems to be deeply moved by it.
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »

They are huge BB's fans, Roger is reportedly a DW fan...and friends of Taylor Hawkins. And anyone who hears Holy Man seems to be deeply moved by it.
Aha I see, thanks Jon. Really look forward to that song (and all the others of course....), after reading how all pieces eventually fell into place. I mean, you gotta love Dennis' words: "Gregg, don’t worry about it. It’ll happen."
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:25:03 PM »

Wow!!!! I'm a massive fan of Queen so this is the most intriguing thing i've heard in a long time! This is a far better calibre of collaboration than Robbie Williams, Britney Spears or Paul Rodgers!!!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:09:20 AM »

Dag-nab-it, they took down the audio clips already.....
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 02:46:06 AM »

I like Queen but this is Dennis Wilson so NO GUITAR SOLOS PLEASE!

Rodger Taylors husky voice could sound good on the song

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 02:48:15 AM »

Links are still there if you use googles cache - http://64.233.183.104/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.buddyhead.com%2F2008%2F05%2F05%2Fdennis-wilson-pacific-ocean-blue-reissued-finally%2F

Dag-nab-it, they took down the audio clips already.....

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 04:22:53 AM »

So, the guitar solos on Time, Dreamer, You and I, Under The Moonlight, etc. aren't valid?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 04:42:10 AM »

Its not the same thing though is it. I'm just saying i dont want an indulgent solo just cause its Brian May and someone feels he should. It has to work.

Im thinking Clapton on City Blues. That was just awful

So, the guitar solos on Time, Dreamer, You and I, Under The Moonlight, etc. aren't valid?

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:58 AM »

Queen. Shudder...
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 04:58:42 AM »

if it creates some publicity for this - the more the merrier.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 05:04:48 AM »

Thanks MBW Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 05:09:41 AM »

Not a big Queen fan at all.

But what's does that matter, were getting POB and that's ALL that matters

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 05:15:30 AM »

Yes...and the "London" mix with Queen won't even be on it, so you won't have to listen to it if you don't want to. 
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 05:20:09 AM »

Being technical though, its not Queen, its only two members.
Its like saying Bruce Johnston and Mike Love are the Beach Boys  Wink

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »

Yes...and the "London" mix with Queen won't even be on it, so you won't have to listen to it if you don't want to. 

And i guess it needs to be said again: THis is the ONLY track that has ANYTHING on it that was not recorded during Dennis' lifetime.  Everything else is pure, vintage Dennis.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »

Under the Moonlight
It's Not too Late
School Girl were uploaded to pacific oceanblue.net

it's not too late has more backing vocals than just carl and school girl's track sounds a lot clearner

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
pmugghc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 05:17:23 AM »

It all sounds great (and I'll buy 2 copies, one for backup!). But there's one track I had hoped for, but it's not here as far as I can see and that's a clean-sounding copy of the early version of "River Song" with Carl's guitar more heavily in front.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 05:23:45 AM »

The early River Song-version as recorded with the BB is a 73-74 recording and has nothing to with the Caribou sessions from 1976-78 in which POB and Bambu tracks were recorded. (except for the fact that Dennis used the basic track of the 73/74-version of River Song to make a finished "solo"-version)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

Is the Taylor Hawkins that put his vocal to Holy Man the same guy that plays drums for the Foo Fighters?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »

Yep, that'd be him.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx