gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Vocally On L.A.  (Read 10707 times)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 11:52:12 PM »

I think Brian may be singing on all of Dennis's songs, but definitely on Love Surrounds Me, where he can be clearly heard with what I assume is Carl. Given that BW's relationship was closer with his brothers than the rest of the band, and with Dennis in particular due to a certain form of existential angst they shared, I think it likely that he would have wanted to make a contribution to DW's songs as an act of brotherly solidarity.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
MBE
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »

I can't hear him, but as he added a lot vocally to Celebrate The News, Forever, Sound Of Free, etc. perhaps he was.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 04:12:16 AM »

it's almost as if he's looking at Carl for a cue as to when he (Brian) should come in with his "you need good timin" part. I always have to shake my head at that, I mean, how simple a part was that, to come in with "you need good timin" right after Carl.

An ironic line to sing if he was looking at Carl to know when to sing it!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 05:56:31 AM »

I think Brian may be singing on all of Dennis's songs, but definitely on Love Surrounds Me, where he can be clearly heard with what I assume is Carl. Given that BW's relationship was closer with his brothers than the rest of the band, and with Dennis in particular due to a certain form of existential angst they shared, I think it likely that he would have wanted to make a contribution to DW's songs as an act of brotherly solidarity.

The only other people I can here on Love Surrounds Me are Christie McVie and Carl. Or, am I correct that it's Christie McVie on the LA version and not just on the Bambu version?

Otherwise, I honestly don't think Brian sang a note on that album. Aside from me simply not hearing him, it just doesn't FEEL like he's there.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »

The only other people I can here on Love Surrounds Me are Christie McVie and Carl. Or, am I correct that it's Christie McVie on the LA version and not just on the Bambu version?

Otherwise, I honestly don't think Brian sang a note on that album. Aside from me simply not hearing him, it just doesn't FEEL like he's there.

He (Brian's) definitely on "Angel Come Home", no question about it (I've been told his name's even on the track sheet, singing on two tracks with Bruce).  As for "Love Surrounds Me", I hear Carl and Dennis singing harmony parts together, and the really REALLY high part is Bruce Johnston and/or Bobby Figueroa.  Christine is indeed on the L.A. Light version, but mostly in the tag. 
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 07:25:03 AM »

Ah, good info.

Gotta give Bruce props for that high part. I love it, but always assumed it was Christie McVie.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 07:59:06 AM »

Ya know as I have been reading this thread about Brian's vocals, something else occurred to me. Al Jardine was hardly on this album at all as well. Obviously Lady Lynda and Good Timin but what else? Seems like most of the harmonies are Carl and Bruce with Mike occassionally. Guess Al was busy with the horses during these sessions?
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »

He (Brian's) definitely on "Angel Come Home", no question about it (I've been told his name's even on the track sheet, singing on two tracks with Bruce).  As for "Love Surrounds Me", I hear Carl and Dennis singing harmony parts together, and the really REALLY high part is Bruce Johnston and/or Bobby Figueroa.  Christine is indeed on the L.A. Light version, but mostly in the tag. 

Well, of course, none of us actually know because we weren't there, but when I listen to the BG vox come in on Love Surrounds Me at 0.34, 1.04, (and particularly) 2.00 and 2.15 I hear BW's 'slightly unpleasant' 'mature' voice, and the 'A love of my own' at 2.54 and 3.06 sounds alot like that too.

But, hey, maybe we just hear what we want to hear.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:02:11 AM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 09:24:51 AM »

I've just listened to that song and I thought I heard Brian in there on Love Surrounds Me.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »

Ya know as I have been reading this thread about Brian's vocals, something else occurred to me. Al Jardine was hardly on this album at all as well. Obviously Lady Lynda and Good Timin but what else? Seems like most of the harmonies are Carl and Bruce with Mike occassionally. Guess Al was busy with the horses during these sessions?

He's definitely on Here Comes The Night.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 10:08:18 AM »

heh heh, it's easy to forget about that one.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »

heh heh, it's easy to forget about that one.

Al's also on "Shortenin' Bread".  But that might be it.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »

I've always thought I heard Brian in the middle part of "Baby Blue."  Right after the "I dream of you..." part at 1:44 it really sounds like him quoting his vocal scat from the tag of "Forever."  The vocal sounds slightly ragged enough, but the timbre of the vocals really sounds right to me.  Sounds similar to his vocals on MIU.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »

Hey gsmile...

I thought that too, was ready to swear it was Brian on the "Baby Blue" 2nd verse...Alan Boyd proved me wrong by playing me a mix with the vocal isolated.  It's Carl.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 02:46:14 PM »

I figured it was probably just Carl, but maaaan, does he ever do a good imitation of his brother!

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx