gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:35:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 Beach Boys songs! Explain.  (Read 12186 times)
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 08:19:38 AM »

"ALL I WANNA DO - Not to be confused with 20/20's "All I Want To Do." This is Mike Love at his vocal best. Mike must have been wanting to make a psychedelic love song that sounded like a lot like The Beatles. It's a great, dreamy tune. And while we're at it, let's throw in "Meant For You" for the hell of it (besides, it's only a few seconds long). ALL I WANNA DO is easily the best album on Sunflower (relax... I like "This Whole World," too... but I listen to AIWD more). "

Isn't the music of All I Wanna Do written by Brian with lyrics from Mike?  I'm confused.  Anyways this song is IMO the second best post 60s BB song (first T'ill I Die).  The production is supernatural in its goodness.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »

"ALL I WANNA DO - Not to be confused with 20/20's "All I Want To Do." This is Mike Love at his vocal best. Mike must have been wanting to make a psychedelic love song that sounded like a lot like The Beatles. It's a great, dreamy tune. And while we're at it, let's throw in "Meant For You" for the hell of it (besides, it's only a few seconds long). ALL I WANNA DO is easily the best album on Sunflower (relax... I like "This Whole World," too... but I listen to AIWD more). "

Isn't the music of All I Wanna Do written by Brian with lyrics from Mike?  I'm confused.  Anyways this song is IMO the second best post 60s BB song (first T'ill I Die).  The production is supernatural in its goodness.

Yeah, and i don't hear a "psychedelic beatles love song".  definitely sounds like some shoegaze. 
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »

1. All I Wanna Do: Simply put, the production is out of this world, the vocals are gorgeous, and the song sounds way ahead of its time.

2. Surf's Up (TSS version): Probably the most sophisticated pop song I've ever heard.  Masterfully arranged.  If you add in Child Is Father of the Man into the mix as well, hard to beat.

3. 'Til I Die: This song gave me chills on my first few listens.  One of their darker songs in terms of both subject matter and tone, and I lvoe it.  That transition to the coda is particularly sublime.

4. Wonderful (TSS version):  Perhaps one of Brian's most beautiful melodies.  As with all the Smile tracks the production is top class.

5. God Only Knows: Goes without saying why this should be here.  Perfectly realized and a fantastic Carl vocal.  I've heard this song a lot and yet it's still stands out where many other songs might seem to grow tiring.

6. Kiss Me, Baby: Brian's falsetto in top notch form and the feedback between Brian and Mike blows me away.  Maybe because of this, it's one of the rare occasions where I actually pay much attention to lyrics.

7. Break Away: As splendorous as the chorus is, the beauty of the verses drew me in on first listen and I haven't looked back.  A huge hit that never was.

8. Time to Get Alone:  This had to be here being my namesake here and all.  The verses are oh-so sweet, and how about that middle eight?

9. Don't Worry Baby:  The earliest track in my top ten, but it's deserving.  Brian puts forth an amazing vocal to a lovely melody.

10. Let the Wind Blow: Every time I hear this song I can never quite tell where the vocals are going next.  The diversity of the singing in the song fascinates because it all works so well.  Demonstrates the music can sound astonishing with a minimalist production as well.

Honourable Mentions...

Good Vibrations
When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Forever
Please Let Me Wonder
She Knows Me Too Well
Feel Flows
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 05:46:20 PM »

10. Where I Belong - Highly underrated song by Carl. This is the last great BB song IMO.

9. Johnny Carson - Quirky, synth happy, nice lyrical tribute to a great comedian.

8. Catch a Wave - This is by far the best surf song IMO. It was a giant step from a garage rock/Berry sound to a well produced new rock n roll sound.

7. Celebrate the News - My favorite Dennis song is River Song. I also love the vocals only Forever. But this is my favorite BB song by Dennis. Good enough to be a hit in 69 and should've been.

6. Wendy - This has an eeriness and beauty to it that is a precurser to 'I don't know where but she sends me there'.

5. Be Here in the Morning - Took Girls on the Beach type chord changes to a new level. Despite its complexity it sounds very simple and has a folk quality to it.

4. Til I Die (Desper) - For a long time this was my favorite BB song. I love the way it builds. And I can't help but picture a sunset over the ocean when I hear this song.

3. Wind Chimes - I love both versions for different reasons. Perhaps my favorite song on both SMiLE and Smiley Smile.

2. Surf's Up (Carl vocal) - This is the most perfect Beach Boys song and I love the lyric on the tag.

1. Let the Wind Blow - Beautiful, emotional and great lyrics!

I would like to mention that songs like God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, Warmth of the Sun are well deserving, but I've listened to them soooo much that I'm almost tired of them. Smiley 

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »

1. God Only Knows- As we know, Paul McCartney called it the greatest song of all time. Well, personally I can think of a ton of macca creations I love over the beach boys catalog, but I gotta agree with Paul, that this is at least the greatest composition from Brian Wilson.

2. This Whole World- I didn't know this song till the tour. I don't own Sunflower yet, and have youtubed most of it. But this song just gets me for some reason. It really does represent I'm living for right now.

3. Please Let Me Wonder- So lyrically inviting, and beautiful chord changes. Another gem from Mr. Wilson.  Bow

4. Don't Worry Baby- Read above....can ya tell I'm a real sucker for Brian's compact yet lavish tunes?

5. Darlin'- I really just love to sing this one! LOL It is the perfect range for me, and Carl gives it just enough soul but just enough pop. Till I heard it, I guess it was...more soul than I eeeeevuh haaad! Happy Dance

6. Our Sweet Love- Another beautiful addition to Sunflower I've recently discovered. Chord changes that are a bit typical of ballads at times, but atypical of a beach boy ballad. Thanks guys!

7. Surf's Up- Like said before, I'm referencing the solo version of Brian at the piano. That touches something so deep in me, I don't know if words can match it.

8. Hawaii- I know...most of you are probaly like, where the hell did that come from?!? But I just LOVE that vocal line from Brian, I try to sing it...and fail  Cry LOL

9. I Get Around- Same explanation as above!!! And the key change, very well...ballsy for the time!

10.Good Vibrations- First Beach Boys I can remember hearing...simple as that.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »

Off the top of my head, 10 songs that I really like today. (Tomorrow's list could be different!)

This Whole World -- A whirligig of Wilsonian worldview, childlike and clever at the same time, all wrapped up in a minute-fifty.

Surf's Up -- The heights of Parksian poetry, accidentally transformed into a stunning suite.

Cabin Essence -- Perhaps the most fully realized of all the Smile tracks, both a pop song and a suite, both delicate and rocking.

Help Me Rhonda -- One of the band's best rock singles, with an under-appreciated track and stunning vocals all around.

She Knows Me too Well -- Gorgeous youthful harmonies on a soaring song of over-idealized regret.

I Just Wasn't Made for These Times -- The defining Pet Sounds track for me, full of gorgeous orchestration, overlapping vocals and theremin!

Funky Pretty -- Brian Wilson disappearing into the rabbit hole of Moogs and elusive lyrics. How many disintegrating stars managed songs at this level?

The Little Girl I Once Knew -- California Girls rewritten as avant garde art pop, Brian at his most experimental yet accessible.

In My Car -- A window into a world where BW didn't go solo and his 80s-era songs were embraced by the band. Much better than people think.

Soul Searchin' -- The great lost Beach Boys reunion track, with Carl and Mike in rare form. A tremendous lost opportunity.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx