gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:51:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "River Song" as done by The Beach Boys in concert  (Read 8798 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »

I was wondering, how many Beach Boys versions of this song exist on tape, as done in concert? The only version I have heard is from Hartford, 1973. The sound quality is pretty darn good for an audience tape. Are there any other live versions that sound better? What is the "best" version to have?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »

There are several on tape, I can think of...three off hand.  Can't remember what shows, but I remember there are three of them.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:15:55 AM »

I have an audience recording from an unknown date. Blondie sings lead. It rocks a bit harder than the album, but they don't do the bridge ("breaks my heart to see the city") and kinda jam out for a while. I wonder why Dennis didn't sing the lead live? Maybe he wasn't there that show! I wonder if the bridge wasn't written till much later.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:17:45 AM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:33:44 AM »

I wouldn't be too surprised if there is an excellent multi-track recording in the vaults. there was a lot recorded for the "In concert"-album and maybe "River song" was in one of those concerts...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:36:36 AM »

Man, I wish they woulda' put out an expanded 2-disc "IN CONCERT" like they did with The Talking Head's "The Name Of This Band Is....."

maybe someday!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 04:48:37 AM »

I wonder why Dennis didn't sing the lead live? Maybe he wasn't there that show!
Dennis didn't sing lead on all of his songs. It's like how Carl sang Steamboat. Why doesn't Mike Love sing Darlin'?

He only sang River Song on his solo album because, well, it was his solo album and he had to sing lead on all the tracks.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »

I like Blondie's lead better, actually.  Dennis must have liked his voice too, because Blondie did a few leads for Dennis songs...  Few if any of which came out as Beach Boys tracks, but still.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 09:41:55 PM »

I wouldn't be too surprised if there is an excellent multi-track recording in the vaults. there was a lot recorded for the "In concert"-album and maybe "River song" was in one of those concerts...

The two live versions I have are from the Nassau Coliseum, and Hartford CT.  Both shows were professionally recorded. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 12:09:44 AM »

The two live versions I have are from the Nassau Coliseum, and Hartford CT.  Both shows were professionally recorded. 
In reference to the Hartford show, are you talking about the 1973 show? The one where Dennis told a Nixon joke? I'm pretty sure that's an audience tape. At least the version I heard. The audience is very loud...to loud for a professional tape. Especially in the intro. Jack Riely(sp?) is talking about almost drowning last time they were there(?), and an audience member can CLEARLY be heard screaming "This time we're gonna get it on!".

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »

Yea i have the Hartford show..1 disk.. Not complete show...Wish i had the whole thing..BTW..i didnt know jack  did the talking at the begining...Sounds like an excellent audience recording to me..
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 10:57:45 PM »

Yea i have the Hartford show..1 disk.. Not complete show...Wish i had the whole thing..BTW..i didnt know jack  did the talking at the begining...Sounds like an excellent audience recording to me..
I suspect that the recording may actually be a "stage tape", or an audience tape placed near the P.A. system.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 04:43:13 AM »

I suspect that the recording may actually be a "stage tape", or an audience tape placed near the P.A. system.

Yes, the tape of the Hartford show that circulates among collectors is an audience recording from close proximity to the P.A.   However, it WAS professionally recorded, as the group members mention several times throughout the show.  At one point they stop and wait for the reels to be changed.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 07:31:10 AM »

Man, I wish they woulda' put out an expanded 2-disc "IN CONCERT" like they did with The Talking Head's "The Name Of This Band Is....."

maybe someday!

Actually, In Concert was a double-vinyl album back in the day.  I would love to hear more live tracks from this period.  I really was impressed with the overall sound of the band when Blondie and Ricky were a part of it.  They just sounded harder and ballsier than they ever did before or since.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 05:06:07 AM »

Yes, it was a double LP that got slapped onto one lil ole'  "digital-audio-disc"
Same thing with the Talking Heads double live album. Only with that one, they added la whole second disc's worth of cuts for a true "expanded" version. Man, if they had done something similar with "In-Concert'....

But, hey, I shouldn't  cry too much, POB is getting released at least

....... right at the curtain call for the CD format where a lot of people will simply download the thing for free!

Sad
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:08:18 AM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

Yes, it was a double LP that got slapped onto one lil ole'  "digital-audio-disc"
Same thing with the Talking Heads double live album. Only with that one, they added la whole second disc's worth of cuts for a true "expanded" version. Man, if they had done something similar with "In-Concert'....

But, hey, I shouldn't  cry too much, POB is getting released at least

....... right at the curtain call for the CD format where a lot of people will simply download the thing for free!

Sad

I plan on buying POB.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »

Interestingly the CD has a Dennis intro to "Surfin USA" ("This is for all the surfers here tonight", which my LP doesn't have 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »

The Band's Rock of Ages is like that too. I must admit I'm kinda baffled by In Concert's tracklisting, from an artisitc point of view - though not a commercial one - putting in the hits like they did, whereas Wonderbill, Surf's Up, River Song, Jumpin Jack Flash, Only With You, California, It's About Time and the like would have made for a much more enticing album.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 08:26:31 PM »

If I had been in charge of releasing a live album from that period, I would have included at least half of the Carnage Hall 1972 show.

MBE
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »

The Beach Boys in concert should have had at least 4 songs sung by Dennis on it. I've Got A Friend, Forever, Cuddle Up, perhaps his lead on Help Me Rhonda. They would have made this a killer album. Top it off with Blondie doing River song and it would have been perfect. The original 1972 version looked sloppier but it had a more daring line up. Wonderbill, Surf's Up, Long Promised Road. Nothing from before 1966 should have been used.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

I've always thought a live Steamboat would be cool.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 12:09:50 AM »

I've always thought a live Steamboat would be cool.
Yeah! With an extended steel guitar solo, longer than the album version.  Cool It would  have been great to hear the Blondie/Ricky era lineup do "Got To Know The Woman", or "Slip On Through".

Jason
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 12:30:52 AM »

A live Slip On Through exists but it's from a 1970 TV show. For a track released as a 45, it was odd that it never seemed to have a live shelf life.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 02:08:03 AM »

The Beach Boys in concert should have had at least 4 songs sung by Dennis on it. I've Got A Friend, Forever, Cuddle Up, perhaps his lead on Help Me Rhonda. They would have made this a killer album. Top it off with Blondie doing River song and it would have been perfect. The original 1972 version looked sloppier but it had a more daring line up. Wonderbill, Surf's Up, Long Promised Road. Nothing from before 1966 should have been used.

But that would've been pretty unlikely. I agree that Dennis should have had some of his songs on it and Al too, that way each member would've been represented. But I think 4 songs by Dennis would've been too much, no matter how great they are/were. I also think that the pre-66 songs have their right to be there. After all they made  the Beach Boys famous and they really rock. I think the released album is great and shows almost every side of the band. But I also would love to hear some more stuff from that time, especially Dennis. I just don't think that they should have built this album around that....

- Jack Rieley
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 03:00:47 AM »

I agree 100%

at least 1 Dennis song would have been, uh, fair!

But let's not worry about the original release. This is the "expanded and remastered" age we're living in. What about the other shows that were recorded from those tours? The record company wouldn't sell a single copy-less if they'd put something extra on there, but they would sell more!!!!

And about the pre 66 stuff:

The bad rap all that stuff has gotten is from lazy "fans" who can't wrap their minds around the supposed leaps and bounds made by Brian and Co. from 65-67. It was always there!

As I've said a million times, the pre 66 stuff is earth-shattering in it's historical and sociological signifigance. Plus, it rocks! How can you go wrong with a good Surf song? And why should the Boys have been upset when crowds went into happy hysterics when the opening chords of Fun Fun Fun rang out? Before you judge and dissect and go the "allmusic-guide-Dominic Piore-route, just imagine how it must have felt on stage to have the crowds going insane as you busted out hit after hit after hit after hit after hit!

This is some powerful $%&%% we're talking about here.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 08:34:09 AM »

You can see how that would lead to a bad thing, though. The 1974 Nassau Coliseum show (with Blondie already gone), is where you can really see the oldies creeping back into the setlist - they even played Barbara Ann and Little Deuce Coupe! But because they still played a few of the newer ones (and I guess had a reputation for not playing much of the older stuff those days) the audience was freaking out when they played the hits. Sure, everyone on stage probably felt great (except Ricky, I guess) and the audience loved them, but playing the surf/car/fun stuff only took the band so far.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx