gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680854 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:57:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NEW Harry Nilsson Dvd  (Read 7160 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2006, 10:15:07 AM »

anyone get that e-mail from LSL? looks interesting
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 08:37:12 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:32:50 PM »

Not a DVD yet, I don't believe. Just the documentary debut. Looks fucking KILLER!
Alice Cooper was a bud of Nilsson, I wonder why he wasn't interviewed? Dolenz had to be there!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 09:38:30 AM »

dolenz, of the mickey variety? really? if so, that's awesome. i dont know a whole lot about nilsson

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 10:50:28 AM »

Well, learn!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 02:37:29 PM »

(your avatar sez) Nilsson? All-riiiight...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:56:52 PM »

you talking to me? i cant find what you're trying to say, like alright! like in joyous? or sarcasm?
the many disavantages of the net...not voice/no emotion

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Chris D.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 10:01:11 PM »

FOIIIIIITTTT!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 10:01:49 PM »

here we go again, whatd you just say? Roll Eyes

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Chris D.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »

Fight, babiez.  I smell trouble brewin', like the the hot tar wafting from Ol' Corothers' farm!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »

im not tryin to start anything...i just wanna know if im to feeel stupid or not

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Chris D.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 10:18:45 PM »

Dude, I'm just messing with you.  I'm not even in on "this" -- whatever it is??!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »

im not tryin to start anything...i just wanna know if im to feeel stupid or not

Yes.

He was talking to me.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 07:12:51 AM »

alright, thanx...stupid i dont feel anymore  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 08:30:59 AM »

Would you be so kind as to post the contents of the e-mail? Or provide me a link.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 09:04:22 AM »

Sure thing, i'll post the whole deal:
News from LSL Productions
February 2006

in this issue
* Who Is Harry Nilsson? World Premiere!
* The U.S. vs. John Lennon
* Ricky Nelson Sings

Dear justin,

Belated Happy New Year from everyone at LSL! We
haven't sent out an email in a few months, but
that's because we've been so busy working on current
and upcoming LSL productions, like the ones we've
written about here. As always, we hope you enjoy our
work.

Your friends at LSL Productions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Who Is Harry Nilsson? World Premiere!

The world premiere of LSL's feature documentary
Who Is Harry Nilsson... (And Why Is Everybody
Talkin' About Him)? will be this Saturday,
February 4 at the Santa Barbara International Film
Festival. The screening will take place at 6:30pm at
the Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara (with an encore
screening at the Victoria Hall Theater at 9:00pm on
Monday).

The film's writer-director-producer John Scheinfeld and
producer David Leaf interviewed over three dozen of
Harry Nilsson's family, friends and colleagues in
the course of making this documentary. They include
Micky Dolenz, Terry Gilliam, Mark Hudson, Danny
Hutton, Eric Idle, Al Kooper, Randy Newman, Yoko
Ono, May Pang, Van Dyke Parks, Richard Perry, Tom
and Dick Smothers, Jimmy Webb, Paul Williams, Brian
Wilson and more.

Who Is Harry Nilsson... also features over 60
Nilsson
songs, original recordings, never-before seen home
movies and archival clips, unfinished documentary
footage and rare performance clips. Along with
portions of Nilsson's oral autobiography, they paint
a fascinating portrait of this extraordinary artist.

We expect a capacity crowd, but if you're in the
area and want to try to attend, you can purchase
Festival screening passes via the SBIFF website -
there's a link on our Who Is
Harry Nilsson?
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=s6n8ksbab.0.pqmfjrbab.vdxfr7aab.551&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whoisharrynilsson.com)
website. At this point we
don't know when the next screening will be; we'll
post that information on the website when it's
available.

Read on... -
http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=s6n8ksbab.0.pqmfjrbab.vdxfr7aab.551&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whoisharrynilsson.com

The U.S. vs. John Lennon

LSL is in production on its feature documentary
The U.S. vs. John
Lennon, which will be distributed later this
year by Lionsgate Films. The U.S. vs. John
Lennon offers a compelling
and provocative look at John Lennon?s transformation
from beloved musical artist to anti-war activist to
iconic inspiration for peace... and reveals the true
story of why and how the U.S. Government tried to
silence him.

We'll send you more information about this film when
release plans are finalized.

Ricky Nelson Sings

LSL Productions' Ricky Nelson Sings is a
one-hour retrospective that celebrates one of the
true pioneers of rock 'n roll. Chronicling Ricky's
evolution from teen idol to rock star, it includes
20 of his timeless performances on The Ozzie and
Harriet Show, plus all-new interviews with his
children Tracy, Matthew, Gunnar and Sam, his original
guitarist James Burton, and Kris Kristofferson.

If you missed Ricky Nelson Sings when it
aired on PBS in December, we were told that many
stations plan to broadcast it in March; call your
local PBS station (or visit its website) for
details. In addition,
it's now available on DVD with special bonus features.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 10:18:09 AM »

Is this an officially licensed thing? What is LSL Productions?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 11:29:52 AM »

LSL is the same people who did the SMiLE Dvd, and they did a great job. I wanna say David Leaf is in correlation with them, but i'm not really sure, maybe it was just for the Smile docu.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Evenreven
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »

I believe Leaf is one of the L's in LSL, thus very much a big and permanent part of the company.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 12:22:11 AM »

I FINALLY BOUGHT THE DVD!

It's the best doc. I've seen in years.
It was amazing and I loved it.

Two questions though:

1) Why wasn't Ringo involved/interviewed?

2) What happen to LSL Productions, the original company that David Leaf is/was in and put out the Beautiful Dreamer doc?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 03:33:55 AM »

Two questions though:

2) What happen to LSL Productions, the original company that David Leaf is/was in and put out the Beautiful Dreamer doc?

really?
nobody knows about the Ringo issue?
Or was this already tackled on the board?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »

Two questions though:

really?

I believe, in the reading I've done recently, that Ringo didn't want to be interviewed. He said it was too painful.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »

Two questions though:

really?

I believe, in the reading I've done recently, that Ringo didn't want to be interviewed. He said it was too painful.
The days Ringo and Harry hung out were party times - drinking, carousing, all matter of badness - and I suspect Ringo, in his sobriety, finds it painful to reflect on those times.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:05 AM »

Also, the pair were incredibly close friends as the documentary will tell you, and thinking about that might be too much for him. No-one else in the documentary seems to imply those times were bad for anybody but Harry, who seemed to be out to damage himself irreparably.

BTW, this documentary has it's flaws (not enough prime, too much decline) but I still love it. He seems to have left a wonderful mark on everybody he met, unless you produced his records  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »

BTW, this documentary has it's flaws (not enough prime, too much decline) but I still love it. He seems to have left a wonderful mark on everybody he met, unless you produced his records  LOL

True. Cheesy

And yes, love that documentary, but I don't like how it makes you believe that he couldn't sing anymore after the kittyCATS sessions. He still did some great singing (even in the high registers - listen to "That Is All") after that.
Harry is a bit like Brian with the raspy voice, you wonder sometimes if he really couldn't or just didn't want to sing like he did before the 'voice-break'. "How long can Disco go on" from his last album is another good example.

Here's a interview with Ringo from last year where the reporter asked him about Harry and mentioned that documentary (at the end):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAV91JJEWqU
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:34:50 PM by Jaspy » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:30 AM »

BTW, this documentary has it's flaws (not enough prime, too much decline) but I still love it. He seems to have left a wonderful mark on everybody he met, unless you produced his records  LOL

True. Cheesy

And yes, love that documentary, but I don't like how it makes you believe that he couldn't sing anymore after the kittyCATS sessions. He still did some great singing (even in the high registers - listen to "That Is All") after that.
Harry is a bit like Brian with the raspy voice, you wonder sometimes if he really couldn't or just didn't want to sing like he did before the 'voice-break'. "How long can Disco go on" from his last album is another good example.

Here's a interview with Ringo from last year where the reporter asked him about Harry and mentioned that documentary (at the end):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAV91JJEWqU

Yeah, it's weird - There's that bit where they're talking about 'How About You', the tune for the Fisher King and everyone's all like 'well yeah, clearly his voice is f*cked' and then it comes on with some perfectly decent vocal considering.
I mean, even in the decline there are high points - Popeye, Knillsson and a few soundtrack bits here and there - I mean, he could still churn out vocals like this in 1988! http://fortheloveofharry.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/zip-dee-doo-dah-1988.html
Listening to the demos he cut with Rainbow Beard Man it really sounds like his voice was still limited but functional/expressive as ever, but he just drank too much as a crutch in the studio, which is such a shame - if anyone deserved a return-to-form 'American Recordings' style record, it's Harry, but he never got it together, and seemed to think he wasn't worth it or incapable. So sad. 

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx