gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:16:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who the f--- cares?  (Read 9010 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »

Who the f--- cares.... about solo albums! I don't.

I just don't care. They are ALL boooorrrrrrrring. I'm not talking about the ones back in the late 70's/early 80's (although other than POB, they weren't too hot), but the ones that are bantered about now. And this is why:

1. None of the surviving Beach Boys - including Brian Wilson - have enough quality material to fill an entire solo album. They have one or two excellent songs, a couple of good songs, and a bunch of filler. All of Brian's solo albums fall into this category.

2. None of the surviving Beach Boys - including Al Jardine - have an appealing enough voice to carry an entire album. Next to the arrangements/contributions from the Wrecking Crew, I feel the versatility of the group to disperse the lead vocals 4 or 5 ways is the most underrated or least discussed important ingredient in the success of The Beach Boys. I don't want to hear an entire album of lead vocals from ANY of the surviving Beach Boys.

3. None of the surviving Beach Boys has anything to say - artistically or musically - that they even need to record a solo album. Brian has been a caricature of himself. Or has tried to be. Same with Mike. And, according to those snippets from Al's impending release, he's parodying himself. Going back to POB again, Dennis had something to say - he made an artistic and EMOTIONAL statement, something Brian used to do and I'm not sure the others are capable of doing. Bruce, I used to think could offer something interesting. His Beach Boys' contributions were always a little more sophisticated than the other members (except maybe Dennis), but Bruce has been TALKING about a solo project for, what, 15 years now?

As I mentioned, I heard Al's short clips - I'm not that interested. I heard the solo stuff Mike has been shopping around. I can see why it hasn't been picked up. Getting In Over My Head was the first Beach Boy-related album I had to turn off before it was over. In 2008, Brian Wilson does not have a recording contract. I haven't heard the compilation that David Marks put out. And I'll continue to READ about all of the groovy stuff that Bruce has recorded.

See how ALL OF MY POSTS come back to a new Beach Boys album? Just take the BEST from the individual members, and....well, you've read it all before. Too many times. Now it's time for someone to counter by saying that they don't give a f--- about a new Beach Boys' album. police

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 06:06:16 PM »

I know it might be a silly notion, but anyone think Robert Hunter could produce a good set of lyrics for Brian? I'm just idly wondering...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:47:24 PM by John » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »

Question for Sherriff.............does TLOS have a lot of fillers and just a few goodies? because I happen to disagree

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 06:16:03 PM »

Question for Sherriff.............does TLOS have a lot of fillers and just a few goodies? because I happen to disagree

As do I...Brian's solo output has been inconsistent, but TLOS certainly has something to say artistically and musically.  I would argue that BW '88 does as well.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:17:11 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 06:28:06 PM »

punkinhead, I'll try to give you a totally honest answer. I downloaded a live version of TLOS, listened to it one time, my hard drive crashed, and I lost it. So, my answer is based on just one listen. I don't like to review an "album" after just one listen, that's not fair, but here it goes, and it's very "general"....

I thought it was the best batch of Brian Wilson solo songs he ever assembled, but that ain't sayin' much. I don't remember a lot of the specifics, but I did like "Midnight's Another Day". The songs appeared to be a little more complex arrangement-wise than most of Brian's solo stuff. Of course I liked "Been Way Too Long". I'm not crazy about narratives, and, maybe I'm wrong, but did the "presentation" get a little weaker toward the end? I don't remember. I don't care for Brian's solo lead vocals, that's no secret. And I felt some of the new songs (some of the songs were "resurrected", right?) sound like somebody else wrote 'em. I think it would be better with The Beach Boys' voices on it! I had to get that in there police

I have two questions for you, punkinhead. Are there any record companies negotiating with Brian to sign him/it? Is he performing TLOS live in concert on his upcoming tour?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 05:44:05 AM »

1) i have no idea, i'm really at the end of the food chain
2) unfortunatly not, because "we americans only know the greatest hits and nothing artistic"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »

The 1994-96 Wilson/Paley tapes seemed to be honest and hit me on a gut level. Other than that, I agree... "Pacific Ocean Blue" is the one. And half of Brian's 1988 album stands up artistically... especially "Melt Away." I'm not interested in any other solo material by the Beach Boys.

"Morpheus, why has thou forsaken me?"
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »

Are there any record companies negotiating with Brian to sign him/it? Is he performing TLOS live in concert on his upcoming tour?

Wouldn't these questions imply that commercial success is required for artistic success? To be honest, I don't care if he plays it more here or if it's released on a label (as opposed to independently) because he could put it out anyway on his own dime and it would be the same quality. Maybe it would do all right, realistically it wouldn't. I don't care either way about that. It is his best solo work (not counting Smile), at least assuming they don't kill it in the recording and producing stages.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 12:39:40 PM »

I agree with some of you that the session trivia can drag.  This is obsessive in the way some peoople keep baseball statistics.   Put me right to sleep.    What I enjoy, and I don't think I'm alone here, is the lore of the characters and the music.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »

**It is his best solo work (not counting Smile), at least assuming they don't kill it in the recording and producing stages.**

I hope he sings it beautifully and with a lot of passion. Not slurred and sounding like he's half asleep. The whole thing sounds great except the lyrics to one of the numbers near the end, with all those ridiculous "surfer girl" lyrics. The last VDP-written spoken passage has a lot of soul... I love that.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »

What bores me are those who continue to think that there is something salvagable from the surviving members to record another album or a reunion tour.  I'd like to think that the Beach Boys (as a band) ended when Carl passed away. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jason
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »

What bores me are those who continue to think that there is something salvagable from Brian to record another (decent) album or do a (proper) tour.  I'd like to think that the Beach Boys (as a band) ended when Dennis passed away. 

Fixed, with blueboardian ideas of political correctness removed for truthful effect and a reminder that we all should take off our rose-coloured glasses.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »

Who the f--- cares?   Violin
Jason
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 10:30:58 PM »

But could it be argued, in fact...

Who the f--- cares about who the f--- cares?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »

I like the Beach Boys.  Rock!  LOL ... not that anyone cares.

Good point Mr. Real Beach Boy.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:53:09 PM by noname » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 12:26:26 AM »

Hey Luther,

I don't give a F... about what your sick of.

If you're not interested, then don't read it.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

someone had to say it!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »

I hope you're smiling or joking when you say:

Hey Luther,

I don't give a F... about what your sick of.

If you're not interested, then don't read it.

because I tried to be clear when I started the thread with:

OK, blatant attention-getting subject there, but it is the point of my post. Please take this in the right spirit, which is not judgmental at all, but in fun. We're all to a certain extent Beach Boys/Brian Wilson/music geeks here--I think our very presence on a message board dedicated to those things proves that to some extent. So we're none of us innocent.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 06:11:43 PM »

I have to admit i like reading + discussing anything about BB.. Im In deep for concert recordings + videos + unreleased stuff.. But ill admit i own the SOT stuff but dont listen that much except the Pet + Smile stuff.. Hearing the same song over + over slowly changing gets boring after awhile.... Completed studio recordings is different.. I am so taken by BB ..In the early 70"s when i found out BW wore bowling shoes like tennis shoes.. I went down + got me a pair myself.. How weird is that..LOL...Huh?...!!!!!!!!!!11 Roll Eyes.. LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 06:37:49 PM »

In the early 70"s when i found out BW wore bowling shoes like tennis shoes.. I went down + got me a pair myself.. How weird is that..LOL...Huh?...!!!!!!!!!!11 Roll Eyes.. LOL

I went through a lot of those BB stages - a beard, Adidas warmup suits and sneakers, Hawaiian shirt, and turban. Just kidding about the turban, but I did look for a pair of those white pants that Dennis wore for the cover of Pacific Ocean Blue....
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 06:58:11 AM »

I had a bowling shoe like pair of shoes in the early 70's.  They were WAY comfortable.  Don't know why they didn't catch on or come back into fashion.

Do any of you remember how the old Indian character in Americathon earned his fortune?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »

Who the f*** cares ?

I the f*** care.  Grin

Undoubtedly to several more magnitudes of detail than is good for me, or strictly necessary, but my credo has always been that Brian's music is so important that it demands to be documented accurately. And if that means crossing swords with people who were there but have faulty memories, so be it. I'm interested in the facts, not my ego.

Errrr... OK, my ego is not averse to a gentle massage now and then. Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »

I'm interested in the facts, not my ego.

Errrr... OK, my ego is not averse to a gentle massage now and then. Cool

Thanks for saving us having to say it...
;-)

Actually, for all of us who can pass on this or that aspect, it's critical that people like you pay attention to all the details.  All kinds of us are needed.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx