gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:30:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who the f--- cares?  (Read 9009 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »

OK, blatant attention-getting subject there, but it is the point of my post. Please take this in the right spirit, which is not judgmental at all, but in fun. We're all to a certain extent Beach Boys/Brian Wilson/music geeks here--I think our very presence on a message board dedicated to those things proves that to some extent. So we're none of us innocent.

But do you ever read posts here and just wonder--even quickly, to yourself--"who the f--- cares about that?"

I can tell you that while I could go on forever about the actual musical questions, and take some interest in the amateur psychologist family dynamics debates, as soon as the threads turn to what version of what product was released where and when, or which sessions happened where on what day, I ask myself those questions. It is of no interest to me whether the first pressing of some single misspelled Capitol as Capital. (And yes, I made that up, so if you're into such things, don't ask me for more information.) Any sort of collector's paraphernalia just means nothing to me. Scheduling is similarly uninteresting to me (except on those occasions when I want to use the fruits of someone else's labor, in which case I'm thrilled someone cares enough to do the work).

At what point(s) do you tune out and think, "what a bunch of nerds!"?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SG7
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »

When people still argue about what could have been on SMiLE... b.o.r.i.n.g.  Roll Eyes

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:03:10 PM »

For me it's often session talk that sends me into la-la land.  I'm not really interested in how it went together...i'm interested in the final product.  And go easy on the different - but not substantially different - versions, won't you?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »

I am not too interested in exactly where Al was on Saturday, December 12th 1967; nor am I particularly interested in reading about someone hiccupping during the session for "Do You Like Worms."

What I am interested in: learning who played what on what; the relationship of the Beach Boys to each others; analyses of Beach Boys music; reviews of the albums. Learning about officially unreleased songs I haven't heard yet.

Also, I like that their are Beach Boys fans that are a)more into the minutiae than me; b) that exist at all, since I don't know any others in "real life."

Whatever floats whoever's boat.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:41:54 PM by lance » Logged
Jason
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »

The THREAD, baby!

I'd say "/thread" now but there are just so many topics that just reek of nerdiness (nerdocity?).

The constant "ZOMG WUT COULD DA LAST BEACH BOYZ ALBUM HAVE BEEN LIKE?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111" threads. Minutiae can be a drag. Too much focus on the bullshit around the band rather than the music can really suck. And the talks about Brian's sex life with Melinda. Of course, some of these topics sometimes still matter to me, depends on the mood I'm in. Brian has poops (or fucks? I mean, he was always such a pooper, and he's quite a twice-daily f*cker!) and I have moods.

While Luther deserves some chips for coming out with a bold statement (har har har, political incorrectness on the interweb) he's undoubtedly in the minority of Beach Boys fans.

I would like to say one thing to everyone on this board regarding this topic, and I remind myself every day -

IT'S ABOUT THE MUSIC.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:12:39 AM »

well, hell...... if you don't want to have to stomach "a bunch of nerds" discussing Beach Boys related minutia, I wouldn't suggest hanging around a BEACH BOYS MESSAGE BOARD!!!!!!!!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 01:59:28 AM »

For me it's often session talk that sends me into la-la land.  I'm not really interested in how it went together...i'm interested in the final product.  And go easy on the different - but not substantially different - versions, won't you?

So,  you don't like the SOT session sets?  I like listening to that stuff, at least once, and more than once if it has an interesting sound to it (like hearing vocal-only or instrumental-track only).  I like hearing and knowing how the music was put together, both listening to Brian in the studio and reading about how it was done.  But as for knowing each date for each session, who was there, the union contracts, etc, no, that doesn't interest me that much.  I also like different versions, but only if they sound good. 
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:41:12 AM »

So,  you don't like the SOT session sets?  I like listening to that stuff, at least once, and more than once if it has an interesting sound to it (like hearing vocal-only or instrumental-track only).  I like hearing and knowing how the music was put together, both listening to Brian in the studio and reading about how it was done.  But as for knowing each date for each session, who was there, the union contracts, etc, no, that doesn't interest me that much.  I also like different versions, but only if they sound good. 

It is painful to me to listen to 8 takes of the same two lines of something.  No, i don't really care for the SOT sessions sets, except the discs that are complete "alternate" albums.  THOSE are cool.  The sessions for them...not so much.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 02:54:24 AM »

I'm somewhat obsessed with the Beach Boys. And 'in real life' I know just one person (who I don't even see that much) who is familiar with the Beach Boys beyond the hits. So to be able to go on a forum and be able to discuss even the most obscure outtakes and stuff like that, is a relief.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 02:55:28 AM »

Exactly!
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:31:24 AM »

"Also, I like that their are Beach Boys fans that are a)more into the minutiae than me; b) that exist at all, since I don't know any others in "real life." -this sums up exactly how i feel. ha.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 05:33:36 AM »

Except I'm sure you wouldn't misspell "there".  Roll Eyes Smiley
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 05:49:44 AM »

I'm interested in the who -played-what stuff most. Not interested particularly in the people themselves, or rather the scandal. I like to read about what happened when someone met one of them, that's always fun (By the way, didn't mention it, but I met Mike, Bruce and Dave last Saturday. All were pretty nice, but Dave was the most laid-back and friendly!)

But the "scandal" sh*t? Bleh. I even held off joining up here for the longest time because of a dude called something like "theponymuse"-somethingsomething. God, he was an annoying bastard. Just a horrible, carrion circling vulture, who couldn't write, had no wit, and was only obsessed with some of the dumbest crap from the scandal sheet books, always bringing them up, even in album discussions. I wanted to throttle that guy. When I checked back awhile later, he'd gone.
He took that annoying crap to the extreme.
SG7
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 05:58:18 AM »

Ah, theeponymuseudonym. That takes me back haha.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 06:24:17 AM »

I think the scandals are also interesting. Only adds to the legend. Of course I don't know how much of what's in a book like "Heroes and Villains" is true, but normally people only live such lives in soap operas...
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 06:50:41 AM »

Of course people who come here aren't interested in 'just the music'. In that case, they could just check AGD / Ian / c-man's websites from time to time to know what's been dissected lately and it would be good enough.

I always come back to check the extremes that some fans will go to validate their beliefs that some Beach Boy(s) are to blame for whatever went wrong. I think it's fascinating.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 07:57:40 AM »

Dead Horse 
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »

I'm new here, so I'll address this group as you.  I can tell you, they argue on the Stones board whether it was Brian Jones who played piano on Ruby Tuesday or not (I say no, it's Jack Nitzsche) so it's the same sh*t elsewhere.  You are not unique in that sense.

Though I apologize for singling any particular thread here out, the one about the shoes was pretty ridiculous (although Brian WAS fond of those boat sneakers!)  Tongue

"I experimented myself right out of action."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »

I don't much care for the alternate histories and "what ifs", for things that never happened. I can also do without the scandals.

But overall, I enjoy the discussion here and find a lot of it very informative.

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »

The only session tapes that interest me are from "Today!" through "Friends." Otherwise, completed unreleased songs only, and of course, the singles and albums-proper.

There's too much else out there that compells me to go that deep into the Beach Boys anymore. But I'm glad I had that period of obsession, because I met a lot of great people and got to work on some cool things, and hear a ton of amazing music. I think now, with some time, I've grown to appreciate it all on a much more mellow level. Though I might be that last masocist that still enjoys a good "Smile" argument. "Smile" will always be the lifeblood that keeps me coming back.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »

The more obscure the minutia, the more I like it.  The more fact based the discussion, the more I find it interesting.  How technically the music was created - great.  How the mindset of the creators and what was going on in their lives affected the music - great.  Who pissed in whose Coke and started a fistfight - like that stuff too.  It's all part of the tapestry of life we call the Beach Boys saga.

A good book detailing the Beach Boys (rather than just Brian's) history up to the present day has yet to be written, and I would buy it in a second. 
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »

I often turn my gaze back on myself and ask "am I obsessed with this stuff?" or "if this (insert some random unreleased song) was recorded/done by anyone else other than Brian/Beach Boys, would I care? Do I only like it because my musical heroe (s) were involved?"  So, I try to be critical and not just like something because it is done by my favorite group.

But I do find the tiniest details so fascinating.  Like, when I first heard the Brian in Holland tape: not worth a listen really, but  I have it saved under my "Beach Boys rarities" folder and often listen to it. Why? I guess, the tiniest details about my musical heroe just intrigue me but I try to be level headed and not get into weirdo fan headspace.  But I do want to know, for example, what was Brian like in Holland. Tell me stories, Show me unreleased pics, let me hear some unreleased music...It is all just fascinating to me...LOL

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 01:25:23 PM »

What is this "Brian in Holland" recording you speak of?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 02:37:13 PM »

[koff] Alan [koff]  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »

didn't know Alan had a quirky tick "and then it goes...and then it goes...and then it goes..." Roll Eyes

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx