-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Kevin Love
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kevin Love  (Read 16488 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »

with white players often disproportionately popular in the NBA.

Please name some of the white players that you are thinking of.  I've seen where players recieve disproportionate attention and sometimes a spike in popularity  due to bad behavior  (like Ron Artest or Latrell Sprewell)  but nothing overtly race-based. 

No question negative behavior gets people a lot of attention.

What I'm talking about is the sort of acclaim guys like, say, Wally Szczerbiak got while in Minnesota. (Or for that matter, Fred Hoiberg, Mark Madsen, etc.) He was a good player, but certainly no star, yet he was consistently the second-biggest endorser and occasionally most-cheered player, even over Kevin Garnett. In Seattle, guys like Luke Ridnour and Nick Collison at times have been probably over-rated. Kirk Hinrich in Chicago before this year. Kyle Korver when he was in Philly. Adam Morrison before his rookie year. I don't think there's anything malicious going on, but I do think it's likely that people are more apt to somehow relate to and cheer for someone they think is more like them. And the bulk of the NBA's paying audience is white.

Again, not trying to start a controversy. Just observing. And I'm certainly not the first person to say this stuff.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 02:25:59 AM »

What I'm talking about is the sort of acclaim guys like, say, Wally Szczerbiak got while in Minnesota. (Or for that matter, Fred Hoiberg, Mark Madsen, etc.) He was a good player, but certainly no star, yet he was consistently the second-biggest endorser and occasionally most-cheered player, even over Kevin Garnett. In Seattle, guys like Luke Ridnour and Nick Collison at times have been probably over-rated. Kirk Hinrich in Chicago before this year. Kyle Korver when he was in Philly. Adam Morrison before his rookie year. I don't think there's anything malicious going on, but I do think it's likely that people are more apt to somehow relate to and cheer for someone they think is more like them. And the bulk of the NBA's paying audience is white.

Again, not trying to start a controversy. Just observing. And I'm certainly not the first person to say this stuff.

Fair enough, you gave some examples where you feel that is true.  I disagree though I'd be willing to look at any endorsement statistical evidence since it is a measure that is not just perception.  I feel that most  people that make these kinds of assertions are simply parroting agenda-driven propaganda.   My experience is they usually get flustered when you ask for examples and respond defensively with "everybody knows" type nonsense.

I'll give you an example from a team in my area.  Luke Walton on the Lakers.  I feel like he gets just about exactly the level of attention he deserves for the level of player he is.  He is white, he a good looking guy, and he is the son of a former  UCLA and pro super-star.  People know who he is a little more, because he is a Walton just like they would if Kareem had a son in the NBA.  However he is getting about the level of attention here that any player playing at the level he is would (very good but generally a little less than great) .         
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 09:36:48 AM »

Please name some of the white players that you are thinking of.  I've seen where players recieve disproportionate attention and sometimes a spike in popularity  due to bad behavior  (like Ron Artest or Latrell Sprewell)  but nothing overtly race-based. 

Madsen was loathed in LA because he stunk

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »

Luckily I didn't mention his time in L.A., did I?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »

Luckily I didn't mention his time in L.A., did I?
  Calm down. Just noting that he didn't get "acclaim" everywhere...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:01:23 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 10:02:37 AM »

I'm calm. In fact, I was napping. It was awesome.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »

I think that when somebody doesn't fit the stereo type it causes people to notice. In basketball, 6'7 athletic black guys dominate the sport. So when guys like Dirk Nowitski, Wally Szerbiac, and even Yao Ming show they have skills, people notice.

It is the opposite for QBs in football. That position is dominated by white guys like Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Joe Montana. Then guys like Michael Vick, Donavon McNabb and Warren Moon show that they can play too, it causes people to notice.

About 15 years ago, major league baseball begin to bring in a lot of Japanese, Korean and other Asian players. When they showed they could compete with Americans, it caused people to notice.

Basketball has been, and still is, dominated by black players for the last 40 plus years. So whenever Larry Bird or Dirk Nowitski shows they can hang with the best of them, people notice.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

hey wow, it got moved. that took a while.

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 06:44:22 AM »

Kevin was chosen Pac-10 Conference Player of the Year, only the 2nd time a freshman has earned that honor.

Yesterday, UCLA won again and is on the way to the Final Four.....and Kevin Love was chosen Most Outstanding Player of the West Regional bracket.

The headline here is "Love is  a many splendored thing"
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/232045

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »

The headline here is "Love is  a many splendored thing"
The day the Love family's last name is not used in a pun is the day the world ends.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »

Get your life in order---Kevin's on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week, with no love pun caption.
I didn't look inside, so there could be a pun in the oven, keeping us safe for another day.  Wink
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »

There is no joy in Westwood, Mighty Kevin was shut down.

Memphis whipped them in the Final Four game.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 12:29:16 PM »

4/18/08 LOS ANGELES - UCLA's Kevin Love is NBA-bound. Less than two weeks after leading the Bruins to the Final Four, the All-American freshman announced Thursday that he'll skip his final three college seasons and enter the NBA draft....but he hasn't hired an agent....so if he doesn't get the "right" offer he remains eligible to play for UCLA.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »

Love's father sat looking considerably shaggier than his short-haired, suit-and-tied son.

"I'm trying to get this guy to dress better," Kevin Love said.

"It's his coat," Stan Love replied.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: