gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:08:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: International Record Store Day  (Read 1254 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:09:59 PM »

For all you vinyl junkies out there its INTERNATIONAL RECORD STORE DAY!!

Ah the joy of looking through the racks searching for that special something, holding that 12" slab of plastic and cardboard in your hands while anticipating the joyous sounds within. Made even better by the store you bought it in - posters & album covers on the wall, a semi famous person behind the counter ... and let's not forget the smell - a bit mustly, a bit dusty, a twang in insence in the air to mask the smell of dope - aaahhhhh!!

In Sydney for me it was Red Eye, Waterfront, Phantom or the Jolly Roger. In Melbourne it was the legendary Missing Link or Basement Discs. All around this planet we had our favourite stores - I always made sure I got to Go Boy in Redondo Beach when in LA. For some bizzare reason I had this habit of work trips for different companies taking me to Oshkosh, Wisonson and there was this little record store there that had a good Beach Boys collection - even ran into the guys from REM in the store (around the time of Fable - pre mega star days) and the whole store was little bigger than my bedroom.

So to celebrate IRSD here is a story from Melbourne, Australia (not Florida). Good to see the BB, BW & DW get heavily name checked!! Also great to see my favourite Oz band the Triffids make the list - but the Black Swan, really? Surely Born Sandy Devotional should top any Aussie list - ah the joys of elitist record store staff who select the esoteric just to drive you mad!!

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/for-the-records/2008/04/17/1208025386999.html

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:14:36 PM by TonyW » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx