gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 04:44:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE sections that made it onto Smiley Smile  (Read 3249 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm always up for talking about SMiLE.
I made a sort of list of what parts of SMiLE I thought were recycled for Smiley.
If anyone has anything to add or corrections to make or speculations to make then feel free.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »

I assume you mean without being re-recorded?  There aren't many...

Off the top of my head, the last verse of "Vegetables", most of "H & V"...that's really about it from the Smile sessions. 
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »

I can't open the file but:  the track to Heroes is all Smile vintage, except for the organ which was overdubbed.  Lead vocals are Smiley but the backing vocals to the verses are also Smile vintage if I recall correctly.  The chorus lead and backing vocals may have been recorded mid February 67 - the chorus tracking definitely was.

Vegetables:  the "I know that you'll feel better . . . " a capella section is vintage Smile, as well as the tag with celeste.

Good Vibrations in its' entirety.

And that's it in terms of actual sections of Smile music that went into Smiley.  There was lots of stuff from Smile that they rerecorded for Smiley of course.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »

Isn't Whistle In from the SMiLE era?
Jason
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »

I think, but am not sure, that at one point the Smiley version of Wonderful used some backing vocals recorded in April of '67 during Smile. The overdubs are on SOT 18, track 3. Apparently it was an attempt to make what was then a third version of the track.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:43:37 PM »

This is basically what SMiLE parts I've heard on Smiley, both original and re-recorded.

Heroes and Villains
-Heroes and Villains verses and bridge remain intact-some vocal and organ parts may have
been rerecorded
-Bicycle Rider theme-formerly a section of Do You Like Worms, is now the chorus of Heroes
and Villains

Vegetables
-remake of Vega-Tables
-new bassline
-Mama Says section and Candy Bar section taken out
-outro section taken directly from SMiLE sessions

-Fall Breaks and Back To Winter
-remake of Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
-Woody Woodpecker style laugh made by organ was originally made by horns on Surf's Up
-has same bassline as fire intro
-organ line sounds very similar to Bag of Tricks

She's Goin' Bald
-remake of He Gives Speeches
-second half of song is reminiscent of Do You Like Worms

Little Pad
-continues the Hawaii theme of Do You Like Worms
-humming parts sound like the guitar line in Tones

Good Vibrations
-#1 hit single Capitol demanded that Brian Wilson put on SMiLE
-was put on Smiley Smile instead

With Me Tonight
-remake of a song/section that originally could've been its own song, or part of Heroes and
Villains or Vega-Tables

Wind Chimes
-creepy sounding remake of original epic beautiful version
-Whispering Winds section is recycled from the harpsichord line in tag to Holidays

Gettin' Hungry
-newly written for Smiley Smile
-would seem more at home on Wild Honey than on anything SMiLE related

Wonderful
-low key remake of the very pretty SMiLE version
-bridge was originally the tag to Vega-Tables AND a background vocal in Heroes and Villains
Part 2
-talking and laughing over bridge concept came from the humor sessions Brian held with his
entourage (David Anderle, Van Dyke Parks, Mike Vosse, Jules Seigel, Danny Hutton, Dean
Torrence, Paul Williams, Mark Volman, Terry Melcher, Lorren Darro (aka Loren Schwartz))

Whistle In
-remake of Hawaiian chant from Do You Like Worms
-also contains whistling that reminds me of the take of the Dum Dum Dum Exploding Tape
section of Heroes and Villains with whistling in the background instead of the theremin

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »

Little Pad possibly has remnants of never recorded vocal melody for I Love to Say Da Da. The "Hawaii" vocal line. Anyways, great work worms. I see you did your homework just "listening and re-listening to Smiley Smile"! There was a thread on this way back in the archives, for more insight.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 06:45:55 AM by noname » Logged
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »

Good list but I would add that Gettin' Hungry was a remake of Worms. The beginning part sounds like the start of worms and Mike's part sounds similar to the "Rock, rock roll" section of Worms.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »

Good list but I would add that Gettin' Hungry was a remake of Worms. The beginning part sounds like the start of worms and Mike's part sounds similar to the "Rock, rock roll" section of Worms.

No disrespect intended, but I don't hear that at all...if anything on SS is an offshoot of Worms, it's Little Pad (Whistle In too).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:50:40 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »

Little Pad/Worms? Enlighten us...
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »

Little Pad/Worms? Enlighten us...

Its not so much a musical thing, just the similar Hawaiian themes...I misspoke when I said "offshoot", I didn't mean to imply there was a musical connection between those two.  The musical connection is with Whistle In more than anything else.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »

No disrespect intended, but I don't hear that at all...if anything on SS is an offshoot of Worms, it's Little Pad (Whistle In too).

It's not the same key but the progression is similar.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »

It's not the same key but the progression is similar.

The progression is just a simple I - IV...don't know if thats enough to qualify as a "remake". 

Actually, Gettin' Hungry seems to me like the only track on SS that doesn't really have any ties with the Smile sessions at all.  Well, I suppose With Me Tongiht would fit that also.  But I've never thought that it really fit on SS...like worms said below, it really fits better with the Wild Honey album.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »

I'm an idiot. I didn't even realize I typed remake.

I meant it had some similar themes.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »

I'm an idiot. I didn't even realize I typed remake.

I meant it had some similar themes.

No problem, it happens!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx