gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:21:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's thoughts on So Tough & Holland  (Read 6030 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:06:20 PM »

I'm aware of brian's feelings towards several other beach boys albums, but i haven't really heard much about what he thinks about these two (in my opinion) great albums. i know that he was barely involved in the recording process, but he must have made comments about what was finally released.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »

Wasn't his biggest implied comment about CATP So Tough refusing to appear in the centerfold photo?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 06:46:29 PM »

In the December 1981 San Carlos hotel room clandestine "interview", Brian was asked what his favorite Beach Boys album was...and he replied by naming not one, but two albums...take a wild guess. 

Razz
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:55:54 PM »

In the December 1981 San Carlos hotel room clandestine "interview", Brian was asked what his favorite Beach Boys album was...and he replied by naming not one, but two albums...take a wild guess. 

Razz
Umm...Surfin' Safari and MIU?
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »

"Landlocked" and "Adult Child"?

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »

looking back with love and Pacific Ocean Blue?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:10 PM »

Razz

Yeah that is weird. Even the two guys who are 'interviewing' him seem surprised (I'd guess because of Carl & The Passions)
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:08 PM »

Razz
Umm...Surfin' Safari and MIU?

Ask again in ten minutes and he might have.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »

I heard him say he wished he would have made Holland sweeter. Basically in Mojo a few years ago he said he wasn't in a good place during Holland but that he loved recording and writing the Fairy Tale. I asked him about Mt. Vernon myself and he told me that he still thinks people should  listen to it in the dark.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:37 AM »

He had some rather nice things to say about Al's California in the Warmth of the Sun podcast series. In fact, he seemed very enthusiastic about that song, as opposed to Sail On Sailor, which he funnily enough once introduced at one of his solo shows as "a song I don't like at all".
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:42:36 AM »

Questions like these are why we need a "Song By Song" book by Brian which covers the entire BB and solo catalogue.... I'm sure it would shift a few copies.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:24:54 AM »

Isn't it that he doesn't like singing SOS?
XY
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:02:46 AM »

I was surprised that Chuck Britz called Holland a piece of crap in that 1993 interview available on YouTube. Ok, from a mastering point of view, I hear some inconsistencies on the California Saga suite f.e., but otherwise, I don't know what his problem was.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 05:14:20 AM »

I have to say, Holland remains one of my favorite Beachboys albums.

How they fell from that peak so quickly almost certainly must be attributed to drugs.  Simple complacency just doesn't explain it.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 06:30:12 AM »

I was surprised that Chuck Britz called Holland a piece of crap in that 1993 interview available on YouTube. Ok, from a mastering point of view, I hear some inconsistencies on the California Saga suite f.e., but otherwise, I don't know what his problem was.

Although I enjoy HOLLAND, it is one of the worst-sounding Beach Boys releases from an engineering standpoint (which probably colored Britz's view of it). SMILEY SMILE and WILD HONEY are in that boat, too, but HOLLAND sticks out because it came after three excellent-to-good releases, engineering-wise. I assume the whole "building a studio in Holland" was to blame, but the album's muddiness can be off-putting. The vocal mixing is especially bad ("California" is about the best; "Funky Pretty" the worst). Even the most recent CD reissue has the right channel dropping out at several points during the early portions of the album (although this could be due to simple tape decay). I suppose the haziness of everything has a certain charm, but it's a long way from the sonic brilliance of SUNFLOWER just three years earlier.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 08:30:10 AM »

How they fell from that peak so quickly almost certainly must be attributed to drugs.  Simple complacency just doesn't explain it.
It was Murry's death that disoriented the Wilson brothers. Plus Blondie and Ricky left the group, and Mike and Al cashed in on the "Endless Summer"/oldies aspect of the band.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

lthough I enjoy HOLLAND, it is one of the worst-sounding Beach Boys releases from an engineering standpoint (which probably colored Britz's view of it). SMILEY SMILE and WILD HONEY are in that boat, too, but HOLLAND sticks out because it came after three excellent-to-good releases, engineering-wise. I assume the whole "building a studio in Holland" was to blame, but the album's muddiness can be off-putting.

Most of the album was actually recorded (and mixed) in LA.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »

"It was Murry's death that disoriented the Wilson brothers. Plus Blondie and Ricky left the group, and Mike and Al cashed in on the "Endless Summer"/oldies aspect of the band."

And the change in management.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

"It was Murry's death that disoriented the Wilson brothers. Plus Blondie and Ricky left the group, and Mike and Al cashed in on the "Endless Summer"/oldies aspect of the band."

And the change in management.

Whoops, that's right. No more Jack Reiley, which was unfortunate.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »

Don't forget Dennis and Brian's vocal decline and Brian's ever worsening mental condition.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »

Or the fact that Blondie and Ricky quit. The Beach Boys could've had a very good follow up album had the rest of the guys been willing to let Dennis produce/direct it. My understanding is that Carl, who was the producer/director of the last few albums wasn't nearly as creative at this time.

I find the mid 70s to be kind of odd that it seems that Dennis was perhaps the most responsible Beach Boy at the time!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »

Endless Summer (1974) didnt come out til nearly two years after they recorded Holland (late 72?). And didn't Murry die at the end of 1973? That leaves a whole year wasted.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 11:07:20 PM »

Let's not forget the whole "brian is back" fiasco.

IMHO, by Holland the BBs had become a mature and credible modern rock band without Brian's (dominating) influence. They were a viable and valid live act and were something of a cult band at this point. They could have coasted (in the best sense of the word) on this for a few more years and turned out some amazing stuff. But Riley left and Brian was forced back and then Endless Summer and then........ and then....... and then.....
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 02:14:43 AM »

I think Carl needed to work with someone and, for whatever reason, he was most successful - and the results more 'mature' - when he was writing with Rieley.  I don't mind some of his later stuff, but the only one outside of this period that really grabs me is Angel, Come Home.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 06:02:56 AM »

How they fell from that peak so quickly almost certainly must be attributed to drugs.

I believe the main reason was Endless Summer. By making that album such a hit, the mainstream public basically told the band that they prefered them as an oldies jukebox and that they didn't really care for new material. Or at least that's how the BB seem to have interpreted it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx