gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:52:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's dark rimmed emo glasses  (Read 4439 times)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:03:55 PM »

lol whats up with Brian's glasses he was wearing during the making of Pet Sounds era? Did he ever need glasses or was that just a stylistic phase he went through that year and why did he stop wearing them he looked cool Grin
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »

I doubt he needed them, since we haven't seen him with glasses during any other period.  Just seems like they were a phase of his...I think they looked really cool on him too!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »

They made him look a little like Murry.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »

I believe I've seen a Smile-era interview where he talks about how much better he can see with the glasses, but it is strange that he seems to have gotten rid of them circa 1968 or so.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:02:22 PM »

They seem to have been a part of his Phil Spector-esque uber-producer style.
It's a genius thing I guess.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:57:38 AM »

From a Melody Maker interview, Oct. 8th, 1966:

GLASSES

I would recommend that everyone who gets eye strain when they read go to an optometrist and get reading glasses so that they can read more and longer. This is what I did, and I really do think everyone should do it.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MBE
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:24:50 AM »

I saw him use them in 1990 where he faced off against Stan Love about the Landy case. Totally being unconvincing when he says he is in control of his own life.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 01:47:39 AM »

I saw him use them in 1990 where he faced off against Stan Love about the Landy case. Totally being unconvincing when he says he is in control of his own life.

He also used glasses during the Hall of fame-induction in the 80s.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:34:34 AM »

His eyesight might have been perfect in the 60s (those glasses might have been fake) and deteriorated by the 80s (real).

Somewhere I read a story about Brian taking Stephen Kalinich to have laser eye surgery. I think it mentioned that Brian had the same surgery at some point, hence him not seeming to need glasses anymore, even though he's 65. Anyone else remember this?

markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 05:06:33 AM »

And of course there is that picture of McCartney with the same type of glasses during the Rubber Soul/Revolver period in the studio.  So, who was first to wear them?  Did they copy each other?

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
SG7
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 05:06:58 AM »

I like that era when he was wearing them  (hence my avatar pic). Fake or not, he just looks cool.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 05:24:57 AM »

The ones from '66 look cool, but the ones from '88 make him look like someone's grandpa. But probably only because they were so huge, plus he wasn't exactly 23 anymore in '88. But he was only (relatively speaking) 45 or 46 at that time. In '88, the glasses made him look 20 years older, I think.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wilsonista
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:56:56 AM »

I like that era when he was wearing them  (hence my avatar pic). Fake or not, he just looks cool.

A look some of us still try to copy....

markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 10:07:17 AM »

Here is a picture of Paul with the same type of glasses; I'll be damned if I cannot find the other one of him in the studio I am guessing around Rubber Soul era.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »

Brian also wore glasses when he appeared on some songwriters TV special in the 80s. He performed God Only Knows and I Sleep Alone. The live recording of I Sleep Alone from Sweet Insanity Plus comes from this appearance.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »

don't forgot the stack o tracks cover shoot, late 60's.

File Under: Teen- Best Sellers
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »

i seem to remember brian in the mid to late 70s with some glasses....when he was bigger and had a beard in a pic or two

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

Maybe he thought the glasses would help him command respect. After all, Murry was pretty intimidating.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »

Brian also wore glasses when he appeared on some songwriters TV special in the 80s. He performed God Only Knows and I Sleep Alone. The live recording of I Sleep Alone from Sweet Insanity Plus comes from this appearance.

I may have seen that on youtube. The glasses are super huge and made him look about 40 years older than he really was at the time.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 10:15:26 AM »

yes well thats how they made glasses in the 80s they were that big
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx