gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680795 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:39:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Correcting the Beach Boy liner notes Thread (thanks Mitchell)  (Read 13103 times)
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 12:37:23 PM »

Has any Pet Sounds issue correctly identified Al as one of the "I Know There's An Answer" lead singers?
Both the Pet Sounds box set and the 1999 mono/stereo twofer have this one correct. "Mike and Alan on the verses, Brian on the choruses".

So does the DVD-A.
Jason
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 12:43:16 PM »

And of course, "Summertime Blues" - Carl on at least one of the vocals, and according to the engineer voice-over on UM1, "Ni[c]k."

David is audible on Summertime Blues too. Probably his only lead.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 03:56:08 PM »

Isn't the recording date of "Surfin' Safari" in the booklet way too late...like after the release date of the 45?  Tell me, how did THAT happen?

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 06:02:02 PM »

"Louie, Louie" -- definitely Carl singing

You sure?

Yup. Listen to the vowels, the "sh" sounds and the "ch" sounds. Now...compare to the concert rehearsal of the same song. Terribly obvious.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 06:04:17 PM »

Pom Pom Play Girl:  Carl has the lead.

Which means that the comment about Girl Don't Tell Me being Carl's first lead is also incorrect.

If you're talking about Brian's comment on the back of the SD(ASN!!) cover, then, well, it's not necessarily incorrect. Brian doesn't say it's Carl's first lead, but that it's the first song he wrote that Carl LIKED to sing. Carl had three other leads, two of them covers; the third was pretty much filler.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 06:05:12 PM »

Nope, David Leaf said that in his notes about GDTM.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2006, 05:16:53 PM »

This isn't necessarily an "error", but it's still wrong..

You know those blurbs by Brian about each album? Well, on the Friends/20/20 twofer, in the one where he's describing the songs on Friends, he mentions how great Al sung on Cotton Fields, which as we all know is not on Friends!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx