gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681467 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 03:13:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: silverchair  (Read 3697 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:59:10 PM »

Here's a band that i believe is drastically underappreciated in north america. Sure, they broke big in '95 with 'frogstomp', and 1997's 'freakshow' was a success, but their last three efforts have gone largely unnoticed in north america. i've talked to people who admitted that they thought the band broke up years ago. this is unfortunate because i think 'diorama' and 'young modern' are among the best albums of the decade. to my ears, daniel johns is one of the better songwriters of this generation. am i alone here?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:10:21 AM by beachboire » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »

Didn't VDP do a string arrangement for one of their songs?
I haven't heard enough of their stuff to fairly say whether their any good or not, but I have hears a couple songs from Freak Show, and they sounded like run of the mill grunge-rock, similar to STP, Bush, or Pearl Jam. Not really my cup of tea. That assessment is probably way off, but that's what the little bit of Silverchair I've heard sounded like.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »

Didn't VDP do a string arrangement for one of their songs?

VDP has done the orchestral arrangements on six of the band's songs. "Across The Night", "Tune In The Brine", "Luv Your Life" from the 2002 album Diorama and "If You Keep Losing Sleep", "Those Thieving Birds (Part 1) / Strange Behaviour / Those Thieving Birds (Part 2)", "All Across The World" from the bands latest album, Young Modern (from 2007)

I haven't heard enough of their stuff to fairly say whether their any good or not, but I have hears a couple songs from Freak Show, and they sounded like run of the mill grunge-rock, similar to STP, Bush, or Pearl Jam. Not really my cup of tea. That assessment is probably way off, but that's what the little bit of Silverchair I've heard sounded like.

Yeah they have changed a fair bit since Freak Show. You have to keep in mind that Daniel Johns was only 18 or so at that time and has changed a fair bit since then (it's like people saying Brian/The Beach Boys are just surf music even when they are doing Pet Sounds etc..)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »

Bringing up this thread because I recently found the beautiful song "Those Thieving Birds," featuring string arrangements by VDP. I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuq_xpp1yhU
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:34 AM »

Bringing up this thread because I recently found the beautiful song "Those Thieving Birds," featuring string arrangements by VDP. I love it.

Wow, they actually got good...I hope they're permanently done doing the post-grunge thing and that Freak Show gets swept under the table forever.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »

Wow, they actually got good...I hope they're permanently done doing the post-grunge thing and that Freak Show gets swept under the table forever.

Wait, Freak Show was from 1997, and Silverchair were teenagers, right? I don't know much about Silverchair, except that Daniel Johns has been highly praised over the years (some use the "g" word") but has had a lot of problems that have slowed him down periodically. I might investigate their catalog now that I've heard this song.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »

Silverchair are ridiculously underrated. It's sad. People either only care about their first two albums or they dismiss them becuse of their first two albums.

Check out "Tuna in the Brine" - if there's a modern day Brian Wilson, it's Daniel Johns.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx