gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:19:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winds of Change  (Read 4569 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2008, 04:57:22 AM »

I happen to like Winds of Change from the MIU Album. Is there something wrong with me? Because it seems like the majority of people in these parts can't stand that song. Any other Winds of Change-lovers on this board?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:01:16 AM »

count me in.  Cheesy
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:18:22 AM »

I quite like the end of it, by which I mean the coda, not the fact that it's finished.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »

I like it.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:38:04 AM »

Me too!

I love the whole album, actually!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:43:01 AM »

My fave track on the album actually. Was very disappointed when the first CD release botched it, but ML got it right when he was given a go!

“We live in divisive times.”
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »

In my review here I gave it a 2.5/5 out of 5.  Some good moments include the coda.  I'm not much for the arrangement/production though, which is often a key factor in how much I like a BB song.  The only BB song that I've found so irritating I can honestly show sheer dislike towards though is On Broadway.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:23:52 AM »

love it!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »

Can't stand it. Honestly, really the only track I actively despise off of MIU. Oddly enough, everytime I hear this song I'm remind of that scene in The Muppet Movie where Kermit the Frog is singing, right before he gets hit by a car.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
dsl
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:44:13 AM »

It's good only because it serves as the ending to an awful album.
It's just like everything else on it...great voclas and the worst lyrics ever...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 10:48:30 AM »

Like it and Pitter Patter and My Diane - and that's about it!
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 02:17:21 PM »

It's good only because it serves as the ending to an awful album.
It's just like everything else on it...great voclas and the worst lyrics ever...
The vocals on the album I found to be not bad in general standards, but mediocre by BB standards.   Mike and Al weren't my favorite of the BB vocalists and they were all over the singing on this record.  I certainly hold some other songs on the album in higher regard.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »

I think it's one of the worst songs the Beach Boys released up to that time. Granted, they continued to surpass those heights pretty regularly on the subsequent efforts, but it gets points for its place in the Awful Hall of Fame. Stinky, slippery cheese.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »

It's my least favourite on the album but I love the rest of the album, its a fun listen, much better than LA or KTSA. If only they'd put 'Almost Summer' on there!!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »

She's Got Rythm, Peggy Sue, Come Go With Me, and Sweet Sunday are all OK. Can't stand Pitter Patter, or Kona Coast. Matchpoint is also pretty bad. I don't really care for Hey Little Tomboy.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »

I like the beginning of the song, don't care so much for the bridge - "I am no stranger to a world of change" part - and love the end.

I think you could appreciate the song and the vocals if you heard it for the first time coming off of 15 Big Ones and Love You. I still remember the first night I listened to MIU in 1978. It was one of the happiest BB-related listening experiences I ever had. I was doing cartwheels over Brian's "healed" voice. "She's Got Rhythm", "Wontcha Come Out Tonight", and "Matchpoint" had great Brian lead vocals. I'm thinking, "He's really back now". And then, when it comes to the end of "Winds Of Change", and Brian sings out in a strong, clear falsetto "Won't last forever", well, I almost lost it. This was no pro-tooled, robot-like, just hitting the notes vocal. Where did THAT come from?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »

Brian sings out in a strong, clear falsetto "Won't last forever", well, I almost lost it. This was no pro-tooled, robot-like, just hitting the notes vocal. Where did THAT come from?

Maybe I'm of little faith, but I'd love to hear Brian's raw vocal track.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »

Brian sings out in a strong, clear falsetto "Won't last forever", well, I almost lost it. This was no pro-tooled, robot-like, just hitting the notes vocal. Where did THAT come from?

Maybe I'm of little faith, but I'd love to hear Brian's raw vocal track.

You picked that point out of my post? OK Luther, if it was "doctored", fine, take that away and you STILL have a much more emotional vocal than almost anything he ever did after that.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »

I'm good about that sort of nit-picking when it suits my purposes!

I wonder what i might have thought about MIU coming off its predecessors if I were hearing it all in-time. Of course, I've never heard any of it in real time except GIOMH and Smile and maybe Imagination, so it's hard to even guess. But I know that as of now, I like Love You far more than MIU and rank 15BO as about the same, which is mediocre.

As far as emotional BW vocals, there have been several keepers since that "won't last forever" line.

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »

I recall very distinctly hearing MIU upon it's release and being astounded at Brian's falsetto on She's Got Rhythm.  For the first few listens I thought it was great...but as a whole that album has not held up in just about any sense for me over time.  Love You struck me as odd and quirky at it's release but continued to grow on me....still is actually.

MIU and 15 Big One's are similar and hold up about the same for me....mediocre at best.

I do recall Peggy Sue getting a bit of airplay locally.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 11:33:35 PM »

I love this song.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 01:30:12 AM »

I'm pretty sure I even would've raved about Keepin' The Summer Alive upon its release if I had been around in 1980. In fact I tried to see something positive in every song even when I bought the reissue just a few years ago. After all, it was a post-Pet Sounds album full of BW compositions, so what's not to like? Or so I thought...
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 03:38:02 AM »

Al sounds pretty youthful on that track. I wish he would've had more lead vocals on MIU. I think the excellent sounding vocals are what make me like Winds of Change. That said, about half of that album could've been replaced with some Carl and Dennis songs, which are sorely lacking from the BBs post-Holland output (minus LA and BB85).

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 01:43:40 PM »

Al sounds pretty youthful on that track.

Because this is a remake and the production isn't the most exciting, "Peggy Sue" doesn't get a lot of recognition. But, I find Al's singing on this song to be among the top 3-4 lead vocals of his career. Give it a good listen....
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx