gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: good vibrations alternate  (Read 8916 times)
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 05:37:15 AM »

Do you mean by the verse, the "Got to keep those loving... " sections, John?

The might be a confusion here in what people mean by the verse or verses. Brian clearly sings the above mentioned section, but surely Carl sings the high notes on the two "verses" I'm talking about. I wouldn't have thought Carl would stop singing for a second and Brian fill in the highest notes, but I suppose you don't mean that.

My point isn't affected by Brian's section. Surely Brian sang that section for the contrast between their voices and for his unique falsetto? But Carl could have sung that high: Carl's "verses" go a note higher.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 05:50:43 AM »

No, that's what happened. Listen to it:

[Carl]:  I, I love the colourful clothes she wears, and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair
[Brian]: I....hear the sound of a
[Carl]: Gentle word, on the wind that lifts her perfume on the air.

There's a switch between vocalists there. And similarly on the "Whennn, I look" on the second verse.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:52:37 AM by John » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 05:50:55 AM »

Brian sang the high falsetto lines IN THE VERSES of the released version b/c Carl couldn't at the time:

"I-I-I hear the sound of a"
"Whe-e-en I look"
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 05:51:42 AM »

Ha, posted at the same time.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 05:54:10 AM »

BTW, this isn't just John & I saying this...it's been referred to in interviews over the years, including one with Carl in 1981.  He'd just watched the Boys less-than-stellar live broadcast from the Queen Mary in Long Beach, and commented on how said he was that Bruce had to sing those falsetto lines live b/c Brian couldn't reach them, but ironically on the record it was Brian who had to sing them b/c Carl's voice wasn't strong enough yet.  
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 06:27:38 AM »

Brian sang the high falsetto lines IN THE VERSES of the released version b/c Carl couldn't at the time:

"I-I-I hear the sound of a"
"Whe-e-en I look"

Interestingly, Brian and Jeff Foskett handle the song the same way in concert with Jeff singing the first half of the line and Brian joining in on the second half.
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 06:53:45 AM »

No, that's what happened. Listen to it:

[Carl]:  I, I love the colourful clothes she wears, and the way the sunlight plays upon her hair
[Brian]: I....hear the sound of a
[Carl]: Gentle word, on the wind that lifts her perfume on the air.

There's a switch between vocalists there. And similarly on the "Whennn, I look" on the second verse.

I'm sorry. I suppose you must be right. I had wondered why there was a bit of a break in those verses but I hadn't noticed it was Brian on the falsettos. That's strange but interesting!

Thanks also, c-man and Roger Ryan. I'd noticed that on "Live at the Roxy", someone else sings those falsettos, and Brian, I think, sings a lower harmony, down a third.

But now, this news is clearly a very important argument against Carl singing the alternate version, but I don't think it is conclusive (yet). The thing about certainty is that if one is certain, then it must be true, but if one is not, then as far as one knows it could be true or false. And it still sounds like Carl to me. I wish I was certain! There is enough error in the world, especially regarding this week in Britain.

But if Carl couldn't sing the actual note, well that's unlikely because he sang the note "a" a year before on "Girl don't tell me" which is only a semitone lower. So perhaps it was holding on the long "a#" that was the problem, or perhaps it was because it would have been too loud and/or strained in normal voice, and his falsetto wasn't good enough, or some other reason. But presumably before long he was singing it in concert. When did he first sing it, though?

But on the alternate version, in fact those falsettos do sound like Brian mostly. I didn't mention it before, except that I thought Brian might be on the lead too. Especially on "IT'S WEIRD how she comes in so strong" the falsetto sounds more like Brian, but the rest of the line is so like Carl. So maybe they're both there. 

But I suppose it makes it more unlikely still that Carl sang the chorus of the alternate version, unless one argues that he is singing loudly there and so can get those high notes, or that perhaps it is Brian and Carl together.

Some time I might go through it all and see which bits sound more like Carl and which more like Brian.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx