gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:19:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dragon brothers  (Read 3887 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:49 AM »

Where are they now?

How did the BBs originally meet them?

Where did they go right after quitting the BBs? police

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:53:45 AM »

Well, Daryl Dragon gained some fame as "The Captain" in The Captain and Tennille who had a number of hits in the mid-70s ("Love Will Keep Us Together", etc.) and even had their own TV show which recently came out on DVD. I guess this is pretty obvious; can anyone else add anything?
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:48:02 AM »

Where are they now?

How did the BBs originally meet them?

Where did they go right after quitting the BBs? police

Ninja Tune just re-released their psychedelic prog opus from just before Sunflower times last year. Its called B.F.I. and sounds very futuristic and cool

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:00:28 PM »

The Dragons were on Capitol Records in the early '60s. They had been recording surf soundtrack music and singles, featuring electric organ and piano, plus vibraphone. Their one early '60s soundtrack was for a film titled "Strictly Hot!" That album is still unreleased. They did two other soundtracks in the late '60s and early '70s, plus that one unreleased LP, "B.F.I.," which just came out. I'm not actually sure how Dennis and Daryl Dragon got involved with the Beach Boys, but I think Daryl was a touring member in the late '60s. Ed Carter, who also played in the early '60s Dragons, was a long-time member of the Beach Boys' touring band.

After "Sunflower," I don't think Dennis Dragon played much with the Beach Boys again. He was the drummer and percussionist on Corky Carroll's 1971 LP "Laid Back," one song from which was in the film "Five Summer Stories," a movie that also featured soundtrack work by Honk (who recorded at Brother Studios) and the Beach Boys.

Corky Carroll released a single in the mid-'70s titled "Tan Punks on Boards"... the backing band of which became the Surf Punks. Dennis Dragon was the drummer in Tan Punks on Boards, as well as the Surf Punks.

Daryl, we all know as the Captain of Tennille fame.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:04:41 PM by brianc » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:52:09 PM »

Bruce Johnston knew Doug Dragon from school.  He recommended Doug for the position of touring Beach Boy keyboardist, but Doug suggested his younger brother Daryl would be a better fit because he was a better trained player and/or read music better.  That's how Daryl got the gig, and Dennis D. followed later.  Bruce also knew Eddie Carter from grammar school, which is how HE got the gig (Eddie was a guitarist whom Bruce convinced to take up the bass because he'd always be able to get work that way). 

Dennis D. continued to play with the Boys on a rotating basis through the end of '73.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »

(Eddie was a guitarist whom Bruce convinced to take up the bass because he'd always be able to get work that way). 

Wish that were true for me!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »

(Eddie was a guitarist whom Bruce convinced to take up the bass because he'd always be able to get work that way). 

Wish that were true for me!

Too bad you didn't live in southern California in the early-to-mid '60s!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »

Too bad you didn't live in southern California in the early-to-mid '60s!

That's my personal motto.
SBGIRL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »

http://www.laweekly.com/music/music/the-dragons-diggin-in-the-sand/17705/

Don't know if anyone has read this ?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 08:51:05 PM »

cool article, thanks for sharing

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »

Thanks for the info everyone. I have never heard 'Captain and Tennille'. Are they any good? I knew that Daryl was in the EH doc talking about Dennis and played Barbara.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:26 AM »

Found an odd 45 in my collection
Dennis Dragon: "Snow Dance" written by Rick Henn (Ex-Sunrays), arr. by Rick Henn, prod. by Dennis Dragon. Festival Records 5001, the label says: From the Motion Picture Soundtrack "Winter Equinox". It's from 1976.

Watson, did you hear this?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:17:55 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone. I have never heard 'Captain and Tennille'. Are they any good?

In a 70s soft-rock kind of way. Very mellow. They covered both "Disney Girls" and "Cuddle Up" and while the remakes weren't nearly as good as the originals, I think it was a nice nod to the Beach Boys to record tracks that weren't that well-known.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:00:45 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 07:25:12 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone. I have never heard 'Captain and Tennille'. Are they any good?

In a 70s soft-rock kind of way. Very mellow. They covered both "Disney Girls" and "Cuddle Up" and while the remakes weren't nearly as good as the originals, I think it was nice nod to the Beach Boys to record tracks that weren't that well-known.

If I am not mistaken, 'Love Will Keep Us Together' also has a cover of God Only Knows on it. Its a good album. They also do I Write The Songs...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx