gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681493 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 02:36:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Al Jardine Song Samples  (Read 14472 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »

http://www.aljardine.com/photo.html

My review:

Love the new website design! Awesome!!!!!!!

Songs:

1) Postcard from California - different lyrics than we heard before.  Now the similarity to Rhinestone Cowboy makes sense - Glen Campbell is on the track.  Would expect the writer of RC, John Hartford, be listed as co-writer (Al's no dummy and certainly the Love/Wilson songwriting lawsuit caught his attention)

2) Lookin Down the Coast - I love this song and am soooo happy a version is getting officially released.

3) Honkin Down the Highway - I can never get enough of HDTH.  Brian's on it.

4) Drivin - Great song!!!!  A duet between Brian and Al.  They sound great! (gosh, maybe a new BB album would sound cool)

5) And I Always Will - Not grabbing me (yet).  A reminder that Al is no Brian Wilson but that's no surprise.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »

1) Postcard from California - can ANYBODY listen to this one and not keep thinking RC... RC... RC... RC... Bad move and ammunition for lazy critics.

2) Lookin Down the Coast - The '78 version wasn't that hot and this one seems to have been well done. Good one.

3) Honkin Down the Highway - Why bother?

4) Drivin - Nice one.

5) And I Always Will - It seems to be a nice song, let's wait for the full track.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »

They're okay. I'm sure I'll buy the CD and obsessively listen to it and after 100 listens I'll think every song is genius, just like with every other BB-related album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 08:49:51 PM »

I like And I Always Will alot. I know it says for Mary Ann, but it sounds to me like Al reminiscing about the good old days with the Beach Boys and saying he'll always be a Beach Boy
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 05:20:23 AM »

I like all of it. Drivin' rocks.  Cool  Hokin Down is nice but a cover of a Beach Boys song seems kinda odd.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »

Of all the unreleased Beach Boys songs I've head, Lookin' Down The Coast is my favorite, so I'm really glad it's finally being released. I do like the original better though.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »

I find it slightly distressing that of the five samples, two are remakes from late 70s tracks (albeit "...Coast" was not officially released) and two are based on melodies from other 60s songwriters. I think it's great Al is putting out a solo album, but I was hoping he would have something a little fresher to offer. By the way, the Moody Blues' track that "Drivin'" is inspired by was actually entitled "Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?)" but I guess that is just so much "Teenage Wasteland" water under the bridge!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 10:45:56 AM »

Now that you said it, I relistened and indeed, it's the same riff as in "Tuesday Afternoon". But the rest is quite different.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »

That music's just a bit too harmless for my personal taste. That said, BW sounds totally relaxed on Drivin', which is quite a treat. Very nice performance.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 12:32:58 AM »

"Honkin'" is great, but I keep wanting to hear Dennis' distinctive growl on the "honk honk honkin' down the highway" background parts!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:06:19 AM »

Apparently because Alan is convinced the song was never released.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »

Sounds pretty damn good, No need for the 'Honkin' cover though, it's perfect as it is

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »

Apparently because Alan is convinced the song was never released.  Grin

Hee hee.

I'm really glad Al decided to do this.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:07 AM »

I find it slightly distressing that of the five samples, two are remakes from late 70s tracks (albeit "...Coast" was not officially released)

That is strange... The guy's been a professional musician for most of his life, had just two new original compositions released since Still Cruisin' came out 19 years ago... You'd think he should have more than enough new material...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:26:42 AM »

Afraid most of the songs sound insipid to me and lack the punch and spark of the originals.  They're just nice, nothing more.

“We live in divisive times.”
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 11:24:24 AM »

I find it slightly distressing that of the five samples, two are remakes from late 70s tracks (albeit "...Coast" was not officially released)

That is strange... The guy's been a professional musician for most of his life, had just two new original compositions released since Still Cruisin' came out 19 years ago... You'd think he should have more than enough new material...

Al isn't really a "classic songwriter".  Clearly, he likes re-imagining existing material a lot.  That seems to be his forte.  And there's nothing wring with that, some of the worlds most beloved compositions are variations on existing themes.

I think that He and Carl were so used to other people doing the songwriting that that part of their brain maybe wasn't exercised as much...so when it came time to write their own stuff, they weren't able to churn out songs.  Plus, Carl and Al were so good at adding little bits to other people's songs.

This should be looked at as a record of Al the performer.  Listen to his voice, which is still pretty good.
SG7
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 11:43:43 AM »

Drivin' doesn't sound too bad. I'll make a full blown judgement when the album comes out.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »

I think these songs are OK, but somehow seem slightly contrived, and a little bit forced. I'd be interested to hear more but like many people I would have expected a bit more of a spark given the collaborators.

Anyway I hope all these new albums release a creative competition, this might give Brian a good reason to get Youth as the producer of That Lucky Old Sun.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 07:55:31 PM »

ok maybe im crazy, but is that flea??

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »

ok maybe im crazy, but is that flea??

Sorry, but what are you referring to?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »

Yes, that's Flea.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:10:33 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »

about Honkin Down the Highway's inclusion...perhaps Al felt he never got it right, just by his mistakes and laughing at the end....maybe he thought his version was inferior to Billy Hinshe?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 12:53:17 AM »

aljardine.com 'articles'  (http://www.aljardine.com/articles.html) lists these songs titles (not the final track order):

One article says a song features Carl Wilson on b/r vocals

1. “Help Me, Rhonda” - duet with Steve Miller

2. "California Feeling" (yes, the Brian/Steve song)

3. "Don't Fight the Sea"

4. "The Tide pool Interlude"

5. "California Saga" - Neil Young sings a verse

6. "A Postcard from California" is a duet with Glen Campbell  b/r vocals by "America"

7. "California Dreaming"

8. "Crumple Car"

9. "Honkin' Down the Highway"

10. “Au Revoir"

11. "And I Always Will"

12. "Drivin" - duet with Brian Wilson + David Marks on a Guitar Solo

13. "Lookin Down the Coast"

Sounds like a short album to me.  Since Al is going retro in part, he might as well put on his new version of 'Sloop John B" as a bonus track.

Please pardon any screw-ups as I was gleaming from eight articles

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 01:55:50 AM »

If that's true it really almost would feel like some kind of Beach Boys album. Only Mike and Bruce are missing.
I always hoped that tracks that have Carl on recorded vocals would've been held back for a, hopefully, possible Beach Boys-reunion album. Maybe there still are some tracks that Carl recorded

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 06:56:23 AM »

aljardine.com 'articles'  (http://www.aljardine.com/articles.html) lists these songs titles (not the final track order):
1. “Help Me, Rhonda” - duet with Steve Miller
2. "California Feeling" (yes, the Brian/Steve song)
3. "Don't Fight the Sea"
4. "The Tide pool Interlude"
5. "California Saga" - Neil Young sings a verse
6. "A Postcard from California" is a duet with Glen Campbell  b/r vocals by "America"
7. "California Dreaming"
8. "Crumple Car"
9. "Honkin' Down the Highway"
10. “Au Revoir"
11. "And I Always Will"
12. "Drivin" - duet with Brian Wilson + David Marks on a Guitar Solo
13. "Lookin Down the Coast"
Sounds like a short album to me.  Since Al is going retro in part, he might as well put on his new version of 'Sloop John B" as a bonus track.
Please pardon any screw-ups as I was gleaming from eight articles

Many thanks for that listing,

I count six cover versions - seven if he does include Sloop as a bonus which I don't think he will as  it'd affect book sales  Roll Eyes -  maybe more as I simply don't recognise the other song titles, other than Postcard (which sounds like a cross between Sloop & Hotel California) and the others that are on his site as samplers.

I will be buying the album, and hoping the final mix sounds meatier than what's on Al's site at the moment, but I wish there was more original stuff on there. I can't help but feel that the covers won't stand up when compared to the originals.  Unlike some folks, I'm sold on the CA Saga trilogy on Holland - it's one of the initial things that inspired me to fly to CA from the UK  to see the Sierra Nevada and Yosemite, Big Sur, and the West - and doubt it can be bettered.

There's a thought -  if he's covered the entire trilogy, at least that'll boost the album's length somewhat.

PS: Given the California theme, and the fact that there're so many covers, couldn't he have added Hotel California, California Calling and California Girls, as well as California Roll and Southern California from TLOS?

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx