gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681548 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 11:54:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's on top of your Beach Boys wishlist?  (Read 13066 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 12:11:38 PM »

Top for me is a Lucky Old Sun album and DVD.

PS Who is Rick Rubin?

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »

PS Who is Rick Rubin?

Not sure if you're being serious. If so, he's a guy who made a name for himself in the 80s as one of the first people to really popularize rap among white audiences, co-founding Def Jam Records with Russell Simmons and working with groups like Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys. In more recent years he's been considered someone who can get decent work out of aging artists (Neil Diamond, Johnny Cash, etc.). As you can see, there are some people around here who think the Beach Boys or Brian could use him on a comeback/reunion album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 03:39:06 AM »

Rick Rubin & Brian Wilson is a recepie for disaster. Neil & Johnny wanted to work on their songs - I feel if you told Brian to go away and just keep writing for, say, a year, you'd wind up with a seven-minute "Shortenin' Bread" suite.

Anyway, pairing Brian with a hot producer with a reputation for resurrecting moribund careers has been tried before, and failed. Don Was, anyone ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 04:31:55 AM »

Don't think Rubin would be a good choice either, although I love his work with Cash.

I've always admired T-Bone Burnett's work, also a veteran, and a 'career resurrector'. But thankfully, no Don Was. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 05:21:53 AM »

I just don't understand the whole desire for bringing in some producer to resurrect Brian. His recent recordings are very good. His worst recordings are those done under the "guidance" of some outside producer or advisor.

If Freddie Mercury was in your band, would you hire an outside session singer to hit the high notes? No. And if Brian Wilson is in your band, you don't need someone else to produce. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to. But if he does, he's more than competent to do it. Whatever (technical, in terms of a modern studio) help he needs, his engineer and musical co-workers are more than capable of providing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 08:00:37 AM »

His worst recordings are those done under the "guidance" of some outside producer or advisor.

If Freddie Mercury was in your band, would you hire an outside session singer to hit the high notes? No. And if Brian Wilson is in your band, you don't need someone else to produce. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to. But if he does, he's more than competent to do it.

Errrr... five words:

Gettin'

In

Over

My

Head.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »

His worst recordings are those done under the "guidance" of some outside producer or advisor.

If Freddie Mercury was in your band, would you hire an outside session singer to hit the high notes? No. And if Brian Wilson is in your band, you don't need someone else to produce. If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to. But if he does, he's more than competent to do it.

Errrr... five words:

Gettin'

In

Over

My

Head.

Also What I Really Want For Christmas. There are a lot of things you can do with Christmas music, but the production on that album is flat and uninspiring. What happened to the spiritual Brian? The best production on the album IMO is on "Joy To The World", and I think Joe Thomas had a hand in that.

I'm not a hack for Rick Rubin, but his record stands for itself. I know it's subjective, but did he ever have a failure? From The Red Hot Chili Peppers to Johnny Cash, from The Beastie Boys to Neil Diamond - that's what his reputation is all about - being able to get the most out of diverse artists.

As far as the artists wanting to work on the songs....I read some stories about how Rick Rubin worked with Johnny Cash when he was ill. Apparently, Rick was very flexible and attentive to Johnny's needs, but still was able to get the job done. As far as Brian has come, he still needs that person to work with him.....
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »

PS Who is Rick Rubin?

Not sure if you're being serious. If so, he's a guy who made a name for himself in the 80s as one of the first people to really popularize rap among white audiences, co-founding Def Jam Records with Russell Simmons and working with groups like Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys. In more recent years he's been considered someone who can get decent work out of aging artists (Neil Diamond, Johnny Cash, etc.).

Wow I really should have know this Embarrassed

Thanks
Sam

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »

1   POB/Bambu set   Grin
2   TLOS live and studio CDs
3   1969-74 Rarities/unreleased/alt takes etc box
4   SMiLE box
5   To see Al in concert
6   Official release of the Live at Carnegie Hall show
7   Official release of the 93 NYC show with 'unplugged' rehearsals
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 11:33:51 AM »

Rick Rubin produced an album for Donovan after Johnny Cash's first American Recordings album sold big.

It tanked. Why? Because Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond were still popular and more or less respected at the time of their albums. Donovan wasn't, and Brian isn't. He's respected (generally) as someone who wrote goods songs in the 60s, but not as someone who writes good songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 11:58:48 AM »

A new rarities set.
A Dick's Picks-style live release program, with particular reference to the 70s.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 12:32:07 PM »

A new rarities set.
A Dick's Picks-style live release program, with particular reference to the 70s.

That would seem like a practical idea.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »

Errrr... five words:

Gettin'

In

Over

My

Head.

But AGD, your response overlooks the key to my whole post. "If he doesn't want to, he doesn't want to." In other words, if Brian doesn't want to be part of it, then scrap the whole fodaing thing, don't bring in some alleged savior to produce the piece of crap, because crap is what it will be if Brian isn't interested anyway. And if he does want to do it, he's very capable of doing it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:30:34 PM by Luther » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »

And if he does want to do it, he's very capable of doing it.

I don't know, Luther. IMO the last time Brian wanted to produce an album and the results were favorable would've been Friends, and that was 40 years ago.

Then there were times when Brian MAYBE wanted to produce an album, but couldn't or wouldn't complete the job, and relied on Carl and others to finish it. Those would be the late 60's/early 70's songs, Love You, BB88, and, come to think of it, almost everything after 1976.

It is hard to admit that Brian needs a co-producer, but I hate to think what the results would be without one. If you're waiting for Brian to WANT to produce an album, and produce it by himself, and expect it to sound "finished", well, you might be asking too much.
SG7
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »

TLOS as a studio album
Unreleased rarities boxset
A new tribute album

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »

And if he does want to do it, he's very capable of doing it.

I don't know, Luther. IMO the last time Brian wanted to produce an album and the results were favorable would've been Friends, and that was 40 years ago.

Then there were times when Brian MAYBE wanted to produce an album, but couldn't or wouldn't complete the job, and relied on Carl and others to finish it. Those would be the late 60's/early 70's songs, Love You, BB88, and, come to think of it, almost everything after 1976.

It is hard to admit that Brian needs a co-producer, but I hate to think what the results would be without one. If you're waiting for Brian to WANT to produce an album, and produce it by himself, and expect it to sound "finished", well, you might be asking too much.

Well, my post also noted that he has bandmates and an engineer who are very capable of being that help, not to mention (if this tragedy of a reunion were to happen) Al and Bruce, both of whom are more than capable of taking initial bursts of inspiration and energy and fleshing them out. He doesn't have to do it himself, but only to be a driving force. And if he's not that, then it's irrelevant because it would suck beyond belief.

No, actually not beyond belief. Just about the same amount as all the other BBs related sh*t that has come out in the past 30 years.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »

Well, my post also noted that he has bandmates and an engineer who are very capable of being that help, not to mention (if this tragedy of a reunion were to happen) Al and Bruce, both of whom are more than capable of taking initial bursts of inspiration and energy and fleshing them out. He doesn't have to do it himself, but only to be a driving force. And if he's not that, then it's irrelevant because it would suck beyond belief.

No, actually not beyond belief. Just about the same amount as all the other BBs related merda that has come out in the past 30 years.

I think you're contadicting yourself. In the first paragraph, you are saying that Al and/or Bruce "are more than capable of taking initial bursts of inspiration and energy and fleshing them out". Then in the second paragraph you are referring to the "all the other BBs related merda that has come out in the past 30 years".

Are you referring to the Al Jardine-produced MIU or the Bruce Johnston-produced L.A. and KTSA. Bruce had his shot and the results speak for themselves. And, after you hear Postcards from Big Sur's Beaks Of Eagles Down The Santa Ana Coastline, well.....

I want Rick. Give it away, give it away, give it away, give it away now!!!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 05:58:06 PM »

I think you're contadicting yourself. In the first paragraph, you are saying that Al and/or Bruce "are more than capable of taking initial bursts of inspiration and energy and fleshing them out". Then in the second paragraph you are referring to the "all the other BBs related merda that has come out in the past 30 years".

Are you referring to the Al Jardine-produced MIU or the Bruce Johnston-produced L.A. and KTSA. Bruce had his shot and the results speak for themselves. And, after you hear Postcards from Big Sur's Beaks Of Eagles Down The Santa Ana Coastline, well.....

I want Rick. Give it away, give it away, give it away, give it away now!!!!

I don't think it's a contradiction in that I don't think Brian was anywhere near as interested in any of those projects as what he would have to be in this (again, horrific idea of a) reunion for me to be behind it at all. I don't want it at all, in any way, unless Brian is really interested. No half-ass MIU/KTSA sh*t. Real interest. And if he doesn't have it, forget the whole thing. No Rick Rubin/Don Was/T-Bone Burnett/Jeff Lynne/Clive Davis/Flavor of the Month to fill in the cracks. If Brian were really interested, he could do enough to guarantee its quality that Jardine and Johnston (and more importantly, Linett and Sahanaja) could do the rest. And if not, hopefully none of it happens.

In other words, hopefully none of it ever happens.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »

Luther, stop calling a prospective Beach Boys' reunion a "tragedy" and a "horrific idea". Or else I'll send Kevin Love over to your house to take care of you. A BB reunion and album is at the top of MY list, other than a remastered "Michael Row The Boat Ashore".

Gimme Rick.... I hurt myself today, to see if I still feel. I focus on the pain....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2008, 06:14:07 PM »

It's just that the inevitable, focus-grouped, slicked-up, cheeseball, half-ass nostalgiafest that would result would do nothing but tarnish the already oft-tarnished group. The one thing that I think could honestly save the idea is Brian's serious interest. And if that's in place, the outside producer is unnecessary. If not ... the project is doomed anyway, so it's irrelevant.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »

"cheeseball" and "half-ass nostalgiafest"? That's it. Now it's Kevin AND Stan.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »

It's just that the inevitable, focus-grouped, slicked-up, cheeseball, half-ass nostalgiafest that would result would do nothing but tarnish the already oft-tarnished group. The one thing that I think could honestly save the idea is Brian's serious interest. And if that's in place, the outside producer is unnecessary. If not ... the project is doomed anyway, so it's irrelevant.

Wave some fajitas or steaks in front of him-- we'll get a BW produced album....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2008, 06:21:17 PM »

Sorry to inject realism to the conversation, but an uninterested Brian Wilson in such a hypothetical project would be those things ... at best. Even an interested one might not guarantee anything I'm too in love with.

PS, if you do send Kevin, I'm going to try to convince him to let me be his agent. Hopefully he's as clueless about hiring management as his uncles.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 02:31:24 AM »

A new tribute album

That would be cool... As long as it's done by performers that people have actually heard of before (unlike on Caroline Now!) or performers that actually like the songs they're covering and don't feel like butchering them to death (unlike on that Do It Again Pet Sounds tribute).
SG7
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2008, 11:42:53 AM »

PS, if you do send Kevin, I'm going to try to convince him to let me be his agent. Hopefully he's as clueless about hiring management as his uncles.

LOL LOL LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx