gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 06:44:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's on top of your Beach Boys wishlist?  (Read 13020 times)
SG7
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2008, 12:16:17 PM »

A new tribute album

That would be cool... As long as it's done by performers that people have actually heard of before (unlike on Caroline Now!) or performers that actually like the songs they're covering and don't feel like butchering them to death (unlike on that Do It Again Pet Sounds tribute).

I agree. What makes Caroline, Now stand apart is how the performers and the songs are GOOD! I do think its about time a new one should be done.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »

Carl's albums on CD in the record stores (see how old I am?  I still think there are record stores). 

Aforementioned Ricky-Blondie era concert DVD

Something that includes more of the '71 Central Park concert (the one with Okie, H &V on the first documentary video)

Any concert footage with I Can Hear Music and/or, preferably and, Add Some Music

Studio DVD footage, if such exists in editable/watchable form longer than the clips here and there that show up.  It would be cool to see the guys in action, as well as hear it.

And the clincher: A current picture of Mike without his cap on, just for curiosity sake.  (I've had a haircut like his for 30 years and usually wear a cap or hat outdoors because of the sun, not always, but good grief even so I take it off when I'm inside.)
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 06:16:53 PM »

I wish Mike would visit the "Hair Club for Men" and ditch the caps.

Beachago concerts released.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 05:34:43 AM »

Carl's albums on CD in the record stores (see how old I am?  I still think there are record stores). 

Aforementioned Ricky-Blondie era concert DVD

Something that includes more of the '71 Central Park concert (the one with Okie, H &V on the first documentary video)

Any concert footage with I Can Hear Music and/or, preferably and, Add Some Music

Studio DVD footage, if such exists in editable/watchable form longer than the clips here and there that show up.  It would be cool to see the guys in action, as well as hear it.

And the clincher: A current picture of Mike without his cap on, just for curiosity sake.  (I've had a haircut like his for 30 years and usually wear a cap or hat outdoors because of the sun, not always, but good grief even so I take it off when I'm inside.)

I saw a picture of Mike from around the time of the 1994 lawsuit where he wasn't wearing a hat. I can see why he prefers to wear one.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
dsl
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »

Being new here, I'll post my list:
A SMiLE set goes without saying...
A Rarities volume of released works not on [legally, anyway] CD yet...
Carl's solo LPs...
Another 'Hawthorne, CA' package of all unreleased stuff...
Still Crusin'/Summer In Paradise two-fer that replaces the retreads on SC with other movie songs & the UK versions of SIP tracks... LOL LOL

Basically, if Capitol can put out something that isn't another hits compilation, I'll get it.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2008, 05:27:14 PM »

"Wich Stand"
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »

1. SMiLE box set.
2. Anthology type project
3. Reunion
byronrosen
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »

Rick Rubin & Brian Wilson is a recepie for disaster. Neil & Johnny wanted to work on their songs - I feel if you told Brian to go away and just keep writing for, say, a year, you'd wind up with a seven-minute "Shortenin' Bread" suite.

Anyway, pairing Brian with a hot producer with a reputation for resurrecting moribund careers has been tried before, and failed. Don Was, anyone ?

Don Was and Rick Rubin two different animals. Rick Rubin is a producer
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »

Rick Rubin & Brian Wilson is a recepie for disaster. Neil & Johnny wanted to work on their songs - I feel if you told Brian to go away and just keep writing for, say, a year, you'd wind up with a seven-minute "Shortenin' Bread" suite.

Anyway, pairing Brian with a hot producer with a reputation for resurrecting moribund careers has been tried before, and failed. Don Was, anyone ?

Don Was and Rick Rubin two different animals. Rick Rubin is a producer

Brian Wilson is a producer. Has he no confidence or energy anymore? Maybe he lost the magic touch after years (decades) of substance abuse....
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »

Getting back on track a little bit here,

My suggestion to EMI to get a few more dollars out of Pet Sounds is to do something similar to what Radiohead just did and others have done.  Pick a few songs from Pet Sounds, and release the discrete tracks.  For most songs, that would be about 10 total tracks, (3 instrumental, 7 vocal).  Have a remix contest (which I could care less about) but it would generate interest.

Then, as a side benefit, people like me could hear discrete tracks.  Though given a choice, Sunflower multis are first n my list.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2008, 08:49:53 PM »

My suggestion to EMI to get a few more dollars out of Pet Sounds is to do something similar to what Radiohead just did and others have done.  Pick a few songs from Pet Sounds, and release the discrete tracks.  For most songs, that would be about 10 total tracks, (3 instrumental, 7 vocal).  Have a remix contest (which I could care less about) but it would generate interest.

Then, as a side benefit, people like me could hear discrete tracks.  Though given a choice, Sunflower multis are first n my list.

I've always thought a project like that would be an excellent idea.  Not only for die hard fans like us, who could listen to hours upon hours of sessions, but would give the casual fan more of an insight into Brian's genius work on that album (or any other, for that matter).  An "interactive" approach would hook in more people, and would be a better alternative than yet another re-release without much difference from the others.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2008, 05:14:14 AM »

I've always thought a project like that would be an excellent idea.  Not only for die hard fans like us, who could listen to hours upon hours of sessions, but would give the casual fan more of an insight into Brian's genius work on that album (or any other, for that matter).  An "interactive" approach would hook in more people, and would be a better alternative than yet another re-release without much difference from the others.

Yeah, but would the BBs get behind an idea like that? It's hard to convince older artists to get into more modern ideas about...well, almost everything.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2008, 07:49:13 AM »

It's hard to convince older artists to get into more modern ideas about...well, almost everything.

Brian asked George Martin & son if they could do what they'd done with the Beatles' "Love" album with Beach Boys material... And a dance remix of "Our Prayer" was released under his name.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »

I would like a DVD box set (like the McCartney Years) of all of their videos and some concert footage (or a disc of a complete concert as a bonus) all cleaned up with loads of menu rare footage etc...just stuff it with tons of goodies...like I said, along the line of the triple disc McCartney Years set.   There is so much to package and put on there, the possibilities are staggering.

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »

1) I'd like to see a multi-DVD documentary where ALL living participants have a chance to discuss the different aspects of the BB career. Son's, daughters, wives, record execs, session guys, etc. Kinda like the Dylan docs that came out spanning pre and post crash as well as born-again phase. Maybe it could be broken down like this:
Disc 1) The Wilson family history thru August of '61
Disc2) The First Wave of success '62-65
Disc3) Pet Sounds and SMiLe
Disc4) We've Been Friends...'67-'74
Disc5) Brian Love's You...'75-83
Disc6) Farewell My Friend...'83-today
Of course this massive film would need a vault opening box-set sized soundtrack that included all relevant solo songs and live tunes.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2008, 12:04:22 PM »

And a dance remix of "Our Prayer" was released under his name.
WHAT?!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »

It's hard to convince older artists to get into more modern ideas about...well, almost everything.

Brian asked George Martin & son if they could do what they'd done with the Beatles' "Love" album with Beach Boys material... And a dance remix of "Our Prayer" was released under his name.

You sure we are not talking about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeform_Five
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2008, 11:00:48 PM »

Well it's been a long time since I posted anything but here goes.

1. ) Mike Love's Head on a silver platter... just kiddin  LOL
2. ) The live concert disc or dvd of The guys when  the opened for Elton John in    1975 .
3.) Carl's first two discs on a twofer package with linernotes and information from the people that helped Carl work on the albums.
4.) Yeah an anthology would be nice, but also maybe a touched up version of IT'S OK from 1976 would be cool
5.) A DOMESTIC release of Brian's work as a producer with other groups or singers besides The Beach Boys

Well that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Take care y'all.

Ted   

carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »

As said in another thread, a book where Brian talks about all of the BB and solo releases, how it was recorded, what was going on at the time, what it means to him. Just needs a sympathetic journalist.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »

As said in another thread, a book where Brian talks about all of the BB and solo releases, how it was recorded, what was going on at the time, what it means to him. Just needs a sympathetic journalist.

I would buy that book in a heartbeat.  If you get him going, Brian probably remembers almost everything about the songs and sessions.  I would love to hear him pour over every song in specific detail, instead of the usual one or two sentence answers he typically gives.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »

I'd like a recording of some journalist asking Brian about a single song (or album) once a day, every day, for a month or two. Not Song A on Day One, Song B on Day Two, etc., but Song A on Day One, Song A on Day Two, Song A on Day Three, and so on. It would be funny to hear all the different, conflicting answers he'd probably give, and then every time I read anyone posting something like "Brian once said that [whatever quote]," I could just laugh.

Also, maybe a critical analysis of "Norbit," by Brian Wilson.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2008, 02:23:42 PM »

I think after about four or five days Brian would catch on.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2008, 02:32:52 AM »

And a dance remix of "Our Prayer" was released under his name.
WHAT?!

The "Freeform Reform" remix of the BWPS recording of "Our Prayer" was released as a one-sided Brian Wilson 10" single in the UK.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx