gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 07:05:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's BMI Repertoire Page  (Read 3435 times)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:29:47 PM »

Wow. Don't know if anyone has seen this before, but look at the treasure trove of songs BW has copywritten/published that we will probably ever hear. There is a song called "Carl and Gina."
Song titles alone, this is pretty cool.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/writer.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&fromrow=1&torow=25&querytype=WriterID&keyid=372593&keyname=WILSON%20BRIAN&CAE=33029517&Affiliation=BMI
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

"Carl and Gina" was written for, and performed at, their wedding in 1987

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:33 PM »

So many songs he did in other languages - "DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES", "EROI DELLA CITTA", "ETT GANG JAPANER", "GE MEJ INTE DET DAR"...

"BUENAS VIBRACIONES" just made me laugh.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:41:22 PM »

So many songs he did in other languages - "DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES", "EROI DELLA CITTA", "ETT GANG JAPANER", "GE MEJ INTE DET DAR"...

"BUENAS VIBRACIONES" just made me laugh.

I could be wrong, but aren't some of them just cover songs with different lyrics (obviously in another language)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 12:53:58 AM »

.... and this link has answered a question I've had for a very very long time.

"If It Can't Be You" from the SOT boots was indeed written by Brian Wilson.  Great tune!

Now, I know when I applied for a copyright for some songs I had written, I had to include a recording of each song.  This makes me wonder if BMI or the Library of Congress has copies of each one of these tunes.

Interestingly, the catalog numbers of each song doesn't seem to have much affect on the date of copyright.  I see "I Get Around" having numbers near some of the tunes from 1977.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:58:13 AM by Shane » Logged
XY
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 02:36:19 AM »

What about these Dennis tracks?

BABY GRAND
MIDNIGHT IN MOROCCO
MONKEY HILL
ODYSSEY
PARADE OF FOOLS
VIKINGS
SHE S SO HARD TO SHAKE
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:36:03 AM »

What about these Dennis tracks?

BABY GRAND
MIDNIGHT IN MOROCCO
MONKEY HILL
ODYSSEY
PARADE OF FOOLS
VIKINGS
SHE S SO HARD TO SHAKE

These are not by Dennis Carl Wilson.

This Dennis Wilson is an Australian musician. Most songs are mentioned in the following article:

http://www.milesago.com/Artists/kahvas.htm 
XY
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 03:52:16 AM »

Oh, OK...
To my defense, these titles are from the Beach Boy Dennis Wilson list, so I assumed these are working titles.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 04:24:06 AM »

Interesting that Brian's list includes tunes he obviously did not write ("Hark The Herald Angels Sing", "Oh Holy Night", "Joy To The World"), and tunes he wrote for a one-time private performance, with zero chance of ever being played again ("Carl and Gina").  Yet something like "Midnight's Another Day", available for streaming on his own website, is not cataloged as having been copywrited.

Unless "MAD" is copyrighted with ASCAP, of course.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »

Interesting that Brian's list includes tunes he obviously did not write ("Hark The Herald Angels Sing", "Oh Holy Night", "Joy To The World"), and tunes he wrote for a one-time private performance, with zero chance of ever being played again ("Carl and Gina").  Yet something like "Midnight's Another Day", available for streaming on his own website, is not cataloged as having been copywrited.

Unless "MAD" is copyrighted with ASCAP, of course.

My only guess about the ones he didn't write would be that its the arrangement that is copyrighted...I'm pretty sure you can do that anyways.

As for one off songs like "Carl and Gina", maybe he just wanted to be sure that nobody could steal it after hearing it.  Probably paranoia, but I guess it never hurts to be safe.

I did a search for "MAD" on the ASCAP site and found nothing...definitely strange.  Maybe its still in processing with BMI...otherwise I have no idea why it wouldn't be there.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:28:11 PM »

Now, I know when I applied for a copyright for some songs I had written, I had to include a recording of each song.  This makes me wonder if BMI or the Library of Congress has copies of each one of these tunes.

Probably either a recording or at least a lead sheet of some sort?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 01:50:19 PM »

Probably either a recording or at least a lead sheet of some sort?

Yeah when I've submitted songs for copyright I had to include a recording as well.  I think you are given the choice between a recording or a lead sheet when you submit everything.

Can anyone just go down there are search through these things?   

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 01:45:01 AM »

"Can anyone just go down there are search through these things?"

My thoughts exactly!!!!!  Anybody got a digital tape recorder handy?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx