gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:49:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The M.I.U. Album
5 - 12 (7.9%)
4 - 22 (14.6%)
3 - 57 (37.7%)
2 - 42 (27.8%)
1 - 17 (11.3%)
0 - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The M.I.U. Album  (Read 125086 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »

1. She's Got Rhythm  (3/5)
2. Come Go With Me  (3/5)
3. Hey, Little Tomboy  (2/5)
4. Kona Coast  (3/5)
5. Peggy Sue  (2/5)
6. Wontcha Come Out Tonight?  (4/5)
7. Sweet Sunday  (5/5)
8. Belles Of Paris  (3/5)
9. Pitter Patter  (4/5)
10. My Diane  (5/5)
11. Match Point Of Our Love  (4/5)
12. Winds Of Change  (1/5)

Few agree but I think it's a major step up from the 15BO/Love You period. I wish Carl had been more involved in the recordings. I've replaced Winds of Change with Our Team for years now, a much better album closer.
A solid 3/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2015, 01:17:02 AM »

Been a die hard BBs fan for over a decade now, and for whatever reason I barely gave this one a chance until I recently found my bargain bin LP of it and decided to put it on, and shockingly, I kinda liked it. Like, really liked it. SO much better than L.A., and I think the reason is that it is almost entirely devoid of the MORisms that ruined so much L.A.. Instead, M.I.U. is a lot of Brian, Mike and Al, the three quirkiest (quirky might be an understatement) members of the group. As much as I love Carl and Dennis, when left unchecked, their post-'75 songs can too easily veer into adult contemporary land, whereas Brian, Mike and Al's weirdness always shone through, no matter the quality of track (and the quality here is admittedly dubious). Overall, this record feels more like Love You than it does L.A., particularly with Hey Little Tomboy, which toes that funny/disturbing line like so much of LY does. Yes, it's totally ludicrous fluff, but thats probably why I like it.

Fave tracks: Matchpoint, Come Go With Me, Sweet Sunday, Hey Little Tomboy (mostly for comedy purposes), She's Got Rhythm.

Winds of Change is just horrid though.

Solid 3 1/2 stars.

I agree with every word of this, except i'd swap "My Diane" for "Tomboy" in the list of fave tracks.

No really, what's the deal about My Diane? Why so many like/love it?

I like the tune.

Please delete my account
KDS
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2015, 05:40:51 AM »

Maybe I'm in the minority, but My Diane and Winds of Change are two of my favorite tracks of the MIU album, along with Pitter Patter. 

Speaking of Winds of Change, shouldn't Brian and Mike have been given a credit since they use the "Won't last forever / It's kinda sad" from When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)?
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2015, 06:51:48 AM »

Maybe I'm in the minority, but My Diane and Winds of Change are two of my favorite tracks of the MIU album, along with Pitter Patter. 

Speaking of Winds of Change, shouldn't Brian and Mike have been given a credit since they use the "Won't last forever / It's kinda sad" from When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)?

Always liked the 'wrong' mix on the first CD release, a sappy song but always been a guilty pleasure
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2015, 07:22:47 AM »

A disaster of an album. The covers should belong with the other ones on 15 big ones. Some of the originals (Kona Coast, Wontcha Come, Sweet Sunday,) have awesome vocals but unfortunately, they are stuck inside bland arrangements. Tomboy was better in its original version on Brian's Adult/Child album. Pitter Patter, My Diane and Match Point are the only saving grace on this album for me, which get a full 2/5. The closing song, Winds of Change, is really syrupy but it is kind of a guilty pleasure. The alternate mix where Charles LLoyd's flutes are upfront is miles better.

This is how I would have done this LP back in the day (when it was still called "Winds of Change") with all the best compositions from this era from each band member:

01 She's Got Rhythm
02 He's A Bum
03 Where We Are/It Could Be Anything
04 Pitter Patter (alt. mix w/ sound fx)
05 Viggie
06 Tug of Love/Feel the Pull

07 Goin' And Get That Girl
08 Love Remember Me
09 My Diane
10 Match Point Of Our Love
11 Our Team
12 Winds Of Change (alt. mix with flutes)

then a few seconds of silence before the hidden track...

Drip Drop/Teardrops On My Bed (Let's go mofos*!)

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2016, 11:31:47 PM »

This album starts off horribly with Brian's silly sounding falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm". Brian's falsetto never sounded silly on the early records - it was beautiful. Frankie Valli's falsetto sounded silly and shrill. I guess this song was the Beach Boys nod to the disco movement before fully embracing it on the next record. "Come Go With Me" is good, but then it's back to embarrassing with "Hey Little Tomboy". Nothing else here is as bad as those two tracks, but there is a sameness to the songs throughout; Al's remake of "Peggy Sue" is not bad, but it is completely lacking in the originality of the Buddy Holly version. Most of the album is not bad, just pedestrian. But at least it sounds more professionally played and sung than Love You.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »

Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue is a pretty bland song, imho. I never cared for it until I heard the Beach Boys version. While Al plays it safe on the verses, I love the liberties that they took on the chorus. Full group background vocals with Carl leading the way, really packs some power behind it. I even like Mike's bomps on the final verse. Of the later covers that they did, I found this one to be one of the better ones and given the best Beach Boys' treatment.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:49:05 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2016, 10:36:19 AM »

MIU was really the beginning of the band embracing middle-of-the-road soft rock. It didn't work too well here, but on LA it flourished. LA fits right in with the soft rock/yacht rock trend that was popular at that time.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »

MIU was really the beginning of the band embracing middle-of-the-road soft rock. It didn't work too well here, but on LA it flourished. LA fits right in with the soft rock/yacht rock trend that was popular at that time.

I'd have preferred The Beach Boys to stick with the soft rock / yacht rock thing over the.......I don't know what to call what they were doing on KTSA and BB85.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »

KTSA...still the worst Beach Boys album. It should have been called Keepin' the Summer On Life Support. It would certainly fit the cover art.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

KDS
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2016, 12:36:39 PM »

KTSA...still the worst Beach Boys album. It should have been called Keepin' the Summer On Life Support. It would certainly fit the cover art.

Yeah, it's pretty awful, especially when you consider it's the last album that features all of the original Beach Boys (albeit only a cameo from Dennis). 

As least you can make the excuse for SIP that Dennis was gone and Brian didn't participate.   I still give the slight edge to SIP for worst BB LP though.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2016, 12:49:17 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty awful, especially when you consider it's the last album that features all of the original Beach Boys (albeit only a cameo from Dennis). 

As least you can make the excuse for SIP that Dennis was gone and Brian didn't participate.   I still give the slight edge to SIP for worst BB LP though.
For me, SIP is only worse in terms of production quality and a song or two, but I do believe it not to be as terrible as others here do.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »

For me, SIP is only worse in terms of production quality and a song or two, but I do believe it not to be as terrible as others here do.

I think there are some OK songs on SIP.  But the remake of Surfin, Summer of Love, and the covers of Under the Boardwalk and Remember Walking in the Sand are unlistenable IMO. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »

They're probably on a payroll or something. Tongue

KDS
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58:31 PM »

This album starts off horribly with Brian's silly sounding falsetto on "She's Got Rhythm". Brian's falsetto never sounded silly on the early records - it was beautiful. Frankie Valli's falsetto sounded silly and shrill. I guess this song was the Beach Boys nod to the disco movement before fully embracing it on the next record. "Come Go With Me" is good, but then it's back to embarrassing with "Hey Little Tomboy". Nothing else here is as bad as those two tracks, but there is a sameness to the songs throughout; Al's remake of "Peggy Sue" is not bad, but it is completely lacking in the originality of the Buddy Holly version. Most of the album is not bad, just pedestrian. But at least it sounds more professionally played and sung than Love You.

I'm definitely with you on Brian's falsetto on She's Got Rhythm.  I've also never been a fan of Frankie Valli's falsetto, and I thought the only other time Brian got irritatingly close to Frankie's falsetto style was on Don't Back Down. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »

I'm definitely with you on Brian's falsetto on She's Got Rhythm.  I've also never been a fan of Frankie Valli's falsetto, and I thought the only other time Brian got irritatingly close to Frankie's falsetto style was on Don't Back Down. 
I like the sound of Frankie's voice when he is singing in his natural voice, but yeah, that falsetto just sounds silly. I guess that was a big thing with doo wop music, which the Seasons sprang from, but a lot of their songs would have sounded better if he had not gone to falsetto. Overall, though, Brian's voice does sound better on MIU than on 15BO or LY.
KDS
« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »

I like the sound of Frankie's voice when he is singing in his natural voice, but yeah, that falsetto just sounds silly. I guess that was a big thing with doo wop music, which the Seasons sprang from, but a lot of their songs would have sounded better if he had not gone to falsetto. Overall, though, Brian's voice does sound better on MIU than on 15BO or LY.

I agree.  Those are the albums where we start to hear signs of the current BW voice.  Not the gravely one from the subpar 15BO & LY. 
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »

Gave this another go recently. Some stuff like Wontcha or Sweet Sunday kind of shine, but overall it's just a drab uninspired mess. Would've been slightly more tolerable if they had used the California Feelin' tracklisting (Our Team is sublime) , but substituting Belles and Kona with Come Go With Me and Peggy Sue, respectively.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:17:33 PM by Gigantic Douche Coupe » Logged

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2016, 07:27:14 PM »

I don't think there's much that can be done to salvage this one. A couple good songs but this really was the beginning of the end. It's nowhere near as steamingly turdish as Keepin' the Summer Alive, that's for sure...but then again, no Beach Boys record is.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2016, 01:00:30 PM »

I don't think there's much that can be done to salvage this one. A couple good songs but this really was the beginning of the end. It's nowhere near as steamingly turdish as Keepin' the Summer Alive, that's for sure...but then again, no Beach Boys record is.
I would take KTSA over this one - primarily because there is more of a Carl presence.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 16, 2016, 11:02:23 AM »

I don't think MIU is so horrible, just a bit.... stale. But I love My Diane the more I hear it, and IMO there's nothing wrong with Pitter Patter. I also love the musical confidence of Tomboy, if not the lyrics. And I happen to like Come Go With Me quite a bit-not stale at all.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2016, 01:22:52 PM »

I'm a big fan of Pitter Patter and have always thought that it could have been a hit for them.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »

Was the commercial failure of M.I.U. a surprise to the band?
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2018, 07:13:11 AM »

Sorry guys, but I really love this album. Every guy has a great voice on it and the harmonies are beautiful!
I really love "pitter", "tomboy" "sweet Sunday", "come out tonight",  and" Diane". I just listened it yesterday (the 2 albums on one cd edition (with LA) great great sound!!!). And really, I love it. I love "15", "love you", and "MIU" very much. good LPs remembering me the end of the 70s...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx