gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:01:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The M.I.U. Album
5 - 12 (7.9%)
4 - 22 (14.6%)
3 - 57 (37.7%)
2 - 42 (27.8%)
1 - 17 (11.3%)
0 - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The M.I.U. Album  (Read 125224 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »

Been reading the last issue of Pet Sounds Newsletter by David Leaf...he wrote a great review for MIU, he really thought it was better than 15 Big Ones and Love you.

Kinda odd

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
G.C
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »

Where do I find a M.I.U CD?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

Where do I find a M.I.U CD?
On amazon, for example?  Wink
G.C
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »

For £32.72?! No no, No no, I don't have that kind of money.
I mean where can I find it for a reasonable  price?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:07:28 PM by rambunctious yahoos & hot jazz music » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »

If the CD has become something of a collector's item you won't find it much cheaper anywhere online (maybe ebay with some luck). I'd ransack every record store I can find if I were you, bargains do turn up at those.  Smiley
G.C
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »

If the CD has become something of a collector's item you won't find it much cheaper anywhere online (maybe ebay with some luck). I'd ransack every record store I can find if I were you, bargains do turn up at those.  Smiley

Ok. Thanks for the help mr Lowbacca.  Smiley
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »

I noticed the M.I.U./L.A. two-fer has been out of print for probably a year or so now, so your best bet would probably be to check ebay every so often.  One is bound to turn up at a reasonable price sooner or later.  Amazon sellers tend to jack the price up on just about anything that goes OOP as soon as they see it's no longer available new.

Who knows, maybe they'll release a 4-disc deluxe box set of the M.I.U. sessions sometime.

Or not.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »

I've always loved MIU.  It's kind of watered down (perhaps heavily watered down at times) sure, but it's quite consistent - from a production standpoint.  For whatever reason, I enjoy it's blandness.  There's nice toe-taping, sing along melodies and harmonies with a nice tight production, good drums, and just enough oddness -- an album only the Beach Boys could make.  It's not as demanding as Love You, nor as "sketchy" as 15 Big Ones, far more upbeat than L.A., much more consistent and unified than Keepin' The Summer Alive and its much, much more sonically pleasing and Beach Boys-y than Beach Boys '85.

And it's not all bland tofu.  It does have some real stand out moments for me -- My Diane holds my attention for every blessed nanosecond.  Match Point is like a wonderful sonic sedative, and the opener is a blast.  The quote from Hawaii is pleasant and kind of interesting that a band would quote itself.  I just love the idea of loafing around Hawaii -- "it's been my secret passion to try it!"  And "Listen to the raaaain" is nice... a nice tropical mid-afternoon rain.  And Al's Wind of Change manages to rise above it's cheese to become kind of touching... "Won't last forever..."

Opens great, closes very nicely... with some wonderful moments along the way.  I enjoy it for what it is.  Even more so, since it's so despised.  But it's one of my all-time personal (perhaps guilty) favorites, and gets played A TON.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:21:06 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »

I find this album fascinating. I find it hard to describe/rate, but I can try, can't I?

1. "Pitter Patter": My favorite song on the album.
2. "Hey Little Tomboy": The best original song on the album. It would have been interesting to see what people thought of it had they left the spoken bits in       
3. "Peggy Sue": A very good cover. I can see why they chose that for the single.
4. "Winds of Change": A great album closer. Surprised that none of the Boys were involved with the writing.

5. "Come Go With Me": A decent enough cover. It could use a bit ore energy though IMO.
6. "Match Point of Our Love": Such a cheesy song, but enjoyable nonetheless. Brian sounds great on it.
7. "Kona Coast": An interesting song. I enjoy listening to it after i hear "Kona Christmas", then laughing at all the trite word changes.
8. "Sweet Sunday Kinda Love": Carl's showcase on the album. Another song that lacks energy.

9. "My Diane": A greatly produced/sung song, but it just never seems to grab me like it seems it should. Great Dennis lead though.
10. "Wontcha Come Out  Tonight": Another good Brian lead, but the song is just strange to me. I don't know what it's trying to accomplish. It sounds like they were poking fun at 50's style songs in the chorus, but then it sounds like a relatively serious attempt at a song (vocal-wise at least) during the verses. It's just confusing.
11. "She's Got Rhythm" : Brian's falsetto is positively cringe educing. If i could take one song off this album, it would either be this, or...

12. "Belles of Paris": Obviously trying to achieve a certain "Michelle" quality, but the song ultimately falls flat. I'll try to listen to it, but i can never make it past the first verse. It's just too much to handle.

Overall, I think that Al, Ron and Brian did the best they could with the album considering the situation. I would have enjoyed a few more contributions from Carl and Dennis, but you can't have everything I suppose. However, the group hadn't sounded this good vocal-wise since "Sunflower", Brian especially. Sure, i enjoy listening to it more than most people, but i wouldn't play it too often. One listen too many in one sitting can ruin it immediately. Still, a pretty good album overall.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »

^^ Nice username Smiley
Sutter Cane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2013, 10:48:45 AM »

This is such an odd album. About half of the material on the album is solid, but the other half is complete and total garbage.

Guess if I had to break it down track by track it'd look something like this

She's Got Rhythm - 3/5 (would be a 4 if Brian's falsetto here didn't hurt my ears)
Come go With Me - 4/5
Hey Little Tomboy - 2/5 (Not nearly as good as the version from Adult Child. The spoken word section really makes the song)
Kona Coast - 1/5
Peggy Sue - 1/5
Wontcha Come Out Tonight 4/5

Sweet Sunday Kind of Love - 3/5
Belles of Paris - 2/5
Pitter Patter 4/5
My Diane 5/5
Matchpoint of our Love - 1/5 (I'm sorry but I cringe every time i hear the lyrics to this one. I even tend to enjoy a lot of their sillier songs, but this is just too much)
Winds of change - 3/5
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2013, 12:04:02 AM »

Matchpoint of our Love - 1/5 (I'm sorry but I cringe every time i hear the lyrics to this one. I even tend to enjoy a lot of their sillier songs, but this is just too much).
So you gave it 1 out of 5 because of the silly lyrics? Or you don't like the melody as well? Good to see you like Come Go with Me, Pitter Patter & Wontcha Come Out Tonight, though. Those 3 are my most played tracks off the record.
Some songs have lyrics that can overshadow any other aspects of the music, though it really is variable from person to person. It would be hard to listen to "Lets Go Away For Awhile" if the lyrics consisted of Hal Blaine singing about taking a crap at a Red Lobster.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Sutter Cane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »

Matchpoint of our Love - 1/5 (I'm sorry but I cringe every time i hear the lyrics to this one. I even tend to enjoy a lot of their sillier songs, but this is just too much).
So you gave it 1 out of 5 because of the silly lyrics? Or you don't like the melody as well? Good to see you like Come Go with Me, Pitter Patter & Wontcha Come Out Tonight, though. Those 3 are my most played tracks off the record.

Oh the music is fine, but much like wantsomecorn said, the lyrics override everything else in this case. This is especially odd for me since i tend to like their sillier songs as I said in my first post. Glad I gave the album as a whole another shot though because there are a few killer tracks in there.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #188 on: July 11, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »

This album SUCKS!!!! One of the Beach Boy's worst albums. Even Dennis hated it. 1 out of 5.

15 Big Ones, Keepin' The Summer Alive, and Summer In Paradise are still worse, however.

My Diane is the only great song from this album, i love it. A fine Dennis vocal, considering his voice was starting to deteriorate at the time. This song should have deserved to be on a better album!

Pitter Patter is all-right as well, it's really grown on me.

The rest of the album is complete crap. Match Point Of Our Love I enjoy for the music, but the song is ruined by some of the worst lyrics, courtesy of Mike Love. Shame really, the music itself is quite decent.

That's all i have to say about this album. Truly is an embarrassment in the Beach Boys's career.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:56:30 PM by Jarhead » Logged
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »

This was one of the albums (along with the few after it) that I had not gotten around to hearing.  I suppose I was expecting the worst The BB had to offer.  But I finally listened to M.I.U. and I have to say, I don't know if it's just me getting older and mellower in my 40's or what, but I like it!  It's not great, but there's something about the mix and feel that I like (and probably turns others off).  Pitter Patter is my favorite track on it.  Go figure.  I'm letting this album sink in a bit before I move on the LA Light Album.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:11:39 AM by Ram4 » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

I finally listened to M.I.U. and I have to say, I don't know if it's just me getting older and mellower in my 40's or what, but I like it!
I'll reassure that it's not only you - there are many young admirers of this record. In fact, it's getting its hype to the point that it's no more would be considered underrated, in the near years.
I've been one of those youngsters…just turning 29, I hope there will be more below my ago who discover this wonderful recording…it's no Pet Sounds, it's definitely no Friends, or Holland...but it's an experience record that guys had to go through and it's Al's early hands on experience to go on to do others works of great music- Santa Ana Winds, Lookin Down the Coast, Don't Fight the Sea, Island Girl, CA Energy Blues, Waves of Love, Drivin, Lady Lynda/Liberty, PT Cruiser, etc.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:28:26 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »

Oh no, now I discovered 'MIU'...my life continues to change, my BBs obsession is driving friends away, work colleagues to look weird at me and my girlfriend to get mad whenever I put 'Matchpoint' on replay mode.

That's exactly like me!

I love M.I.U. It's not Pet Sounds or Love You or even 15 Big ones  LOL And Adult/Child would've been 10 better than M.I.U. album that's for sure. But still, this one has good stuff too. Though I have learned that I shouldn't play this to anyone else. Others don't really seem to dig this. I just wonder why  angel I love the production. It's really 70's. Drums, strings everything. That's propably the biggest turn-off for people. I happen to like cheesy 70's sounds. The one thing I really hate in this album is the cover art. It's really stupid. Almost ruins the whole listening experience. That's how bad it is. BUT I have to brag a little bit. I have a copy signed by Al. I'm not 100 % sure though if it's real or not, I could post a pic of it and ask what you guys think. But then again who the hell would be crazy enough to make a fake signature to M.I.U.'s cover?  LOL

She's Got Rhythm 4/5
I love this song, Brian's "forced" falsetto is really cool. Still I completely understand why some people hate it.

Come Go with Me 4/5
Cool cover! The intro is so awesome.

Hey Little Tomboy 2.5/5
Pretty embarassing. I like the music, but the lyrics are too much.

Kona Coast 3.5/5
Mike sounds actually cool here. Funny song.

Peggy Sue 3/5
Mediocre.

Wontcha Come Out Tonight 4/5
Up there with She's Got Rhytm. Brian does awesome job with the vocals! This proofs he didn't loose his voice anywhere during the mid-70's.

Sweet Sunday Kinda Love 3/5
Mediocre.

Belles of Paris 3/5
More mediocre stuff.

Pitter Patter 4/5
Really cool! It could rock more though. Al sounds great as always.

My Diane 5/5
The best song of the album. Dennis just can't do wrong with a lead. Oh why didn't Brian finnish Adult/Child  Cry

Match Point of Our Love 4.5/5
Another standout! One of Brian's best vocals ever. And I actually like the lyrics too. The sound of the drums and strings gives me almost too good vibes...

Winds of Change 1.5/5
Boring and really bad. I skip this one always.

So that's a solid 3/5 for the album. It's not a masterpiece, but very listenable for what it is. Only one unlistenable song,  5 mediocre and  6 awesome ones!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »

Now here is a LP that will divide the faithful .. Now  just on sound quality.. Vocal harmonies..  Instrumentation.. etc this is steps above 15BO + Love You..  But the songs seem to divide people here.. Who likes or prefers  certain songs.. But when this came out in 1978 the faithfull accepted it to a certain degree.. But it didn't do well because they lost a lot of fans after 1976.. A lot of people casual fans thought they were an oldies act after 2 weird albums in a row.. And they never quite recovered from that.. I like 8 of the 12 songs in varying degrees.. Don't like WOC... BOP..  HLTB... PS...  At this point its diminishing returns..  Concerts sell out.. LP"S so so.. The damage has been done by inconsistent records and lots of bad press for fighting.. drugs.. shows start to get sloppy.. etc.. The faitfull remain and the rest scatter.. Thanks to new generations growing up and discovering BB they will always have an audience..  Music 3/5  Cover art 3/5..
TonyACT
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2014, 04:40:11 AM »

So - I gave it a 4.  That should get me off to a bad start around these parts  Embarrassed

Reason? - great 60s sounding tunes married with the cheesy sorts of lyrics that characterised Love You.  Oddly, it sounds like they were actually really into the whole thing in spite of all the dramas going on with the band at the time.  I don't get all the 'tired sounding' comments - I'm not hearing it.

I would probably go 3.5 if we could split as I don't think it is (quite) as good as some of the other albums I will be giving a 4 when I go back and score those.

Aside -> for those looking to get this in the L.A. twofer - I did as suggested above and just bided my time on ebay and eventually got it for around AU$30 delivered which is pretty good given it has been oop for a while now.
TonyACT
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »

^ Thanks for the nice welcome and glad to have company in enjoying this album.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »

It's totally underrated:

1. She's Got Rhythm  (4/5)
2. Come Go With Me  (4/5)
3. Hey, Little Tomboy  (2/5)
4. Kona Coast  (4/5)
5. Peggy Sue  (1/5)
6. Wontcha Come Out Tonight?  (4/5)
7. Sweet Sunday  (4/5)
8. Belles Of Paris  (2/5)
9. Pitter Patter  (5/5)
10. My Diane  (5/5)
11. Match Point Of Our Love  (3/5)
12. Winds Of Change  (3/5)
KDS
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »

I have to side with David Leaf and say that I prefer MIU to both 15BO and Love You. 

I give it a four on the basis of strong tracks like She's Got Rhythm, Kona Coast, Come and Go With Me, Pitter Patter, My Diane, Belles of Paris, and Sweet Sunday. 

I also think Winds of Change is extremely moving & overlooked, and is an older cousin to the Suite that closes TWGMTR. 

This one feels more like a team effort than the previous two records, which I believe was a wise choice considering Brian really wasn't ready to take the reigns just yet.   

The MIU / LA two-fer was a reluctant purchase to complete my BB collection, but it has proven to be a diamond in the rough. 
caseyhardmeyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2015, 11:42:52 AM »

Been a die hard BBs fan for over a decade now, and for whatever reason I barely gave this one a chance until I recently found my bargain bin LP of it and decided to put it on, and shockingly, I kinda liked it. Like, really liked it. SO much better than L.A., and I think the reason is that it is almost entirely devoid of the MORisms that ruined so much L.A.. Instead, M.I.U. is a lot of Brian, Mike and Al, the three quirkiest (quirky might be an understatement) members of the group. As much as I love Carl and Dennis, when left unchecked, their post-'75 songs can too easily veer into adult contemporary land, whereas Brian, Mike and Al's weirdness always shone through, no matter the quality of track (and the quality here is admittedly dubious). Overall, this record feels more like Love You than it does L.A., particularly with Hey Little Tomboy, which toes that funny/disturbing line like so much of LY does. Yes, it's totally ludicrous fluff, but thats probably why I like it.

Fave tracks: Matchpoint, Come Go With Me, Sweet Sunday, Hey Little Tomboy (mostly for comedy purposes), She's Got Rhythm.

Winds of Change is just horrid though.

Solid 3 1/2 stars.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »

M.I.U. sounds totally MOR to me, in a much less ambitious way than L.A., and yet I greatly prefer it to that album. I think there's kind of a nice intimacy to the mellow sound, although it becomes too much in places ("Sweet Sunday" is the most aggressively M.I.U. track on M.I.U., by which I mean it's frustratingly bland), but when they go for something with a bit more scope in sound ("Winds of Change") it doesn't work at all. Maybe that song and "Good Timin'" should have swapped places, they seem to fit each other's album.

I suppose those two albums are as good as each other really... neither come to life very often. But M.I.U. is all in all pretty modest, and L.A. attempts to be colossal and ends up sounding like the adult contemporary Holland. I guess I just prefer the former because I like my sh*t twee.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:04:47 PM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
caseyhardmeyer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2015, 05:21:50 PM »

M.I.U. sounds totally MOR to me, in a much less ambitious way than L.A., and yet I greatly prefer it to that album. I think there's kind of a nice intimacy to the mellow sound, although it becomes too much in places ("Sweet Sunday" is the most aggressively M.I.U. track on M.I.U., by which I mean it's frustratingly bland), but when they go for something with a bit more scope in sound ("Winds of Change") it doesn't work at all. Maybe that song and "Good Timin'" should have swapped places, they seem to fit each other's album.

I suppose those two albums are as good as each other really... neither come to life very often. But M.I.U. is all in all pretty modest, and L.A. attempts to be colossal and ends up sounding like the adult contemporary Holland. I guess I just prefer the former because I like my sh*t twee.

I feel like a lot of MIU is still going for the Spector sound, but maybe Spector via Born to Run with all those charging saxophones and sleigh bells (especially on the first side).  L.A. Light is straight yacht-rock, which I like to a degree, but the boring moments are much more prevalent, IMO. And I think L.A.'s biggest flaw is the sheer amount of ballads on that record. It seems Dennis, and to a lesser degree Carl, saved all their mid-to-uptempo numbers for solo projects and gave the Boys nothing but ballads from Sunflower on. Some really good ballads mind you, but when you have Full Sail, Goin South, Angel Come Home, Baby Blue and Love Surrounds Me all on the same record its a complete slog.

MIU is a total blast comparatively.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:47:56 PM by caseyhardmeyer » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx