gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:27:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The M.I.U. Album
5 - 12 (7.9%)
4 - 22 (14.6%)
3 - 57 (37.7%)
2 - 42 (27.8%)
1 - 17 (11.3%)
0 - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The M.I.U. Album  (Read 125186 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »

Discuss, review and rate The M.I.U. Album, released September 1978.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:00:00 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 12:32:19 AM »

Hokay. I'm up for this.

Although I don't like the stories concerning the genesis and production of this album - Mike's (anybody's) TM connections always creep me out - it's surprisingly playable and enjoyable. And after 15BO, the vox are a treat. Three stars.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 07:56:08 AM »

If it weren't for the '80s and beyond, I'd give this a 1. But since it turns out there was still a long way to go downward, I guess it has to rank somewhere in the 2s...

On the bright side, at least it is simple fun. Winds of Change, Peggy Sue and Come Go With Me are awful and don't deserve release (and I won't discuss Match Point... or Belles... because I haven't yet brought myself to believe they really exist), but the remainder is pleasant. On the other end of the spectrum, I actually quite enjoy Wontcha Come Out Tonight, Tomboy, She's Got Rhythm and Sweet Sunday. It isn't terribly cool to admit to my hipster friends, but so be it...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 01:08:39 PM »

Fluff. Pure fluff. The beginning of the end for the group. Some tracks are enjoyable. Brian's in fine voice throughout. The lack of Carl and Dennis hurts.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 01:12:14 PM »

Two wrords:
My Diane.
Hello?
Sunday, Come Out Tonight and Rhythm are great too. The rest is some of the worst crap the band ever recorded. I'd rather listen to Summer In Paradise than Matchpoint, Winds or Belles Of Paris. And the reductivist (in a BAD way) Come Go, Peggy Sue and Kona coast are just contemptible.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:45:39 PM »

When I think of this album, the first thing that comes to mind is that awful forced falsetto that begins the album in Shes Got Rhythm.  He really does sound like mickey mouse with a cold.
Then I think of Hey little Tomboy, pitter patter, pitter patter,

and..and..I just don't want to talk about this any more.... Cry
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 01:39:28 PM »

My Diane and Pitter Patter should've been saved for LA - and possibly Winds of Change with better vocals (one mix is decidedly better).  The rest just may be the worst tracks recorded with BW's involvement.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 07:56:26 PM »

Oh man, my third favorite 70's album. One song: Matchpoint Of Our Love

Still kind of wish Brian did that song on tour.  Cool
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 12:03:56 PM »

Oh man, my third favorite 70's album. One song: Matchpoint Of Our Love

Still kind of wish Brian did that song on tour.  Cool

I really wish I believed you were joking.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 12:33:06 PM »

Me too.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 02:12:42 PM »

Match Point Of Our Love live? Brian would slur the living hell out of it.

"Cos dis mus be the mach poeeent ov our luvvvvvvvvvvv!"
Peter Tomatz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 12:53:27 AM »

I gave this record a four. I think it's the 2nd best album they did in the 70s after Love You.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 03:51:21 AM »

I gave this record a four. I think it's the 2nd best album they did in the 70s after Love You.

BWAHAHAHA!

(I know it's stating the obvious, but they only did 2 albums in the 70's after Love You, if you don't get why this is funny shame on you you're not a real beach boys fan and dont belong on this message board)
Jason
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 05:32:30 AM »

I think I was too nice to this album, I gave it a 3, but it was more like a 2.5.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 05:37:53 AM »

BWAHAHAHA!

(I know it's stating the obvious, but they only did 2 albums in the 70's after Love You, if you don't get why this is funny shame on you you're not a real beach boys fan and dont belong on this message board)

I think he means Love You is the best BB album of the 70's, MIU is the second best in his opinion.  Then all other 70's albums follow.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 05:39:45 AM »

BWAHAHAHA!

Wow, first the less-than-glowing review of Pet Sounds and now this. You're on a roll, man. You have some guts, I like that. :D
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 10:05:29 PM »

Alright. It's agreed that this is not the best example of a BB's album.
I can't believe no one has ripped 'Pitter Patter' apart. The other day I listened to this song like 10 times in a row! For a later Beach Boys track, it's got their imprint/stamp all over it! Amazing song. Super fantastic harmonies. More upbeat than most of the songs in their catalog at this point. Songs about rain have a tendancy to be fun and playful in their lyrics anyway.
I'd have to put it high in my best of the 70's chart listing. Songs from Sunflower & Surfs Up prevent it from charting higher.
I love, love, love this song.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 10:11:38 PM »

I can't believe no one has ripped 'Pitter Patter' apart.

Oh, I'd love to, believe me.  Grin

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 12:00:22 AM »

If there was anyone whom I'd expect to dig... It'd be youz, muh'boyeeee!
Tear it up!
APPLEI
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 10:39:04 AM »

the worst beach boys album of alltime!
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »

I put this album in the "guilty pleasure" category.  I do not like Belles of Paris but I don't hate it enough to skip it.  I just let it play, grin and bear it.  The rest of the album, I actually really like, and I do mean every song.  As much as I'm embarrassed to say this, I'm going to give this one a 4.  This certainly isn't their best 70s output, but it's not the worst.

The mid and late 70s were an interesting period for the Beach Boys in terms of quality.  15 Big Ones is definitely bargain basement, then Love You which is awesome IMO, then they slipped a bit with MIU, and then they came back with LA which is every bit as good as Love You IMO.

I don't put MIU in my Beach Boys top 10, but definitely in the top 15.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 04:48:50 PM »

The mid and late 70s were an interesting period for the Beach Boys in terms of quality.  15 Big Ones is definitely bargain basement, then Love You which is awesome IMO, then they slipped a bit with MIU, and then they came back with LA which is every bit as good as Love You IMO.
Shocked This might make you exempt from the KTSA party!  Wink
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 04:50:34 PM »

Monkee, is the fact that MIU and KTSA sound more like the traditional BB sound the reason why you like them more than the progressive LY and LA, regardless of songwriting quality?

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 05:08:48 PM »

ehhh.... perhaps. Not entirely, but it has something to do with it, for certain.
I like my BB's music to have some balls behind it. I think of them having energy & spirit. It might start with a good track and continue from there. I love stuff that's off kilter, progressive, different... whatever you wish to call it, but it needs to strike me as such and not sound uninspired, bland, sanitized, whatever. Which is where LA & LY fall for me. They sound like 2 albums that the guys were coasting and didn't have their foot on the excelerator. They need to sound like they were worked on and not just thrown together. On LY, they just sound exhausted as a group. Slow dirges that have no real life. Then along somes KTSA which sounds like a real effort and not something lifeless. I wish I could be in other peoples heads to hear what they're hearing, because I don't hear it. I wish I could explain it better than that, but that' where I'm at, I guess. As complete albums I don't really care for them- as 2 groupings of individual songs- they have their moments.
It's like trying to describe why so much of their mid to late 80's material blows so hard. Why does it? The songwriting seems to be good, but the means in which it's pulled off doesn't quite cut da mustid! Same for 15BO, LY, LA, & MIU (to a lesser degree). KTSA just sounds more solid to me. Do that help any?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 05:17:33 PM »

ehhh.... perhaps. Not entirely, but it has something to do with it, for certain.
I like my BB's music to have some balls behind it. I think of them having energy & spirit.

Wow, this strikes me as funny. I agree that it's nice when there are balls, but to me, Love You has 10x the balls of any of the other albums of the latter half of the 70s or KTSA. It might not be balls executed to the proper pitch all the time or anything, but how could someone listen to the first three tracks or so of Love You and not hear the balls? Do I just like saying balls? Kind of. But really--that driving beat and energy of Honkin..., Mona, Roller Skatin Child...I'd take those any time for energy over what strikes me as generally smooth, watered down retro sounds on MIU or KTSA.

I like something or another off of anything Brian ever had a hand in, and I see strengths to all these albums (some far more than others...), but to me, that's not the argument to make at all.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx