gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:56:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The M.I.U. Album
5 - 12 (7.9%)
4 - 22 (14.6%)
3 - 57 (37.7%)
2 - 42 (27.8%)
1 - 17 (11.3%)
0 - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The M.I.U. Album  (Read 125185 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 05:20:58 PM »

I understand what you're saying Monkee, but to me, balls is making new sounds and writing cool, original songs, not necessarily retreading through older music that may have had more balls in an instrumental/vocal sense. That just seems safe and truly uninspired to me, no balls whatsoever.
Now DENNIS WILSON had balls. The progressiveness of POB and Bamboo, mixed with the eccentric weirdness of Brian's Love You period, plus a TOUCH of Carl's romantic style is where the BB's should have stayed in that period. Rewriting Hawaii in the 80's just don't cut the mustard.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 05:24:39 PM »

That just seems safe and truly uninspired to me,...Rewriting Hawaii in the 80's just don't cut the mustard.

Amen. Which also relates to my criticism on the BB85 thread, too, along with every other album from KTSA on (and a lot of the material from 15BO on, really).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006, 07:19:49 PM »

Now DENNIS WILSON had balls. The progressiveness of POB and Bamboo, mixed with the eccentric weirdness of Brian's Love You period, plus a TOUCH of Carl's romantic style is where the BB's should have stayed in that period. Rewriting Hawaii in the 80's just don't cut the mustard.
You mean upbeat? I don't quite get the rewriting Hawaii/80's reference. Do you mean the 70's on Kona Coast/MIU? That's obvoius. Or do you think KTSA was recycling? I don't hear that at all. The only recycling I hear (not including their own jab at Kona Coast/Hawaii/70's) happened 5 years after KTSA with California Calling. Totally rad!

On the other hand, I full on agree about POB & surrounding Denny sessions!! That album is better than most of the BB LP's post 1971!! That album has some BIG OL'NARDS!! That's the inspiration I'm talkin' 'bout!!! There's no lying back on that release. No coasting. I hear coasting on a lot of the 70's stuff, but NOT POB. That thing has got 2 rock-hard danglers and a big old sack full o' jizz! The other albums don't have that. I appreciate Carl's voice, but it's not even used to affect on LY, more generously on LA. You might say that's where they should have been during that era cuz that's where history tells you they were... but think about what they could have done!! Retrospect aside, if I had been a Beach Boy I'd have stepped in and said, 'come on guys, we can do better than this.' It could have been much better than what it was. Might as well have been some lame middle-of-the-road LP and not the Beach Boys.
Maybe somewhere/somehow subconsiously, Denny thought that the BB's were losing focus and cuts his own LP to blow recent & forthcoming BB stuff out of the water. Just a thought.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006, 07:24:45 PM »

Maybe somewhere/somehow subconsiously, Denny thought that the BB's were losing focus and cuts his own LP to blow recent & forthcoming BB stuff out of the water. Just a thought. 

I would say he did that VERY consciously, as he was at odds with the band over their artistic path since the Surf's Up album.
I would say that the LA album definitely is in the POB mode far more than other BB efforts, with two amazing Denny cuts robbed from Bamboo, and a great Carl song voiced by Denny. And Carl's songs on that LP are very cool, mellow in a good way, without any of the AOR/MOR kowtowing of his KTSA efforts. And Good Timin' is, as Denny said, "another Surfer Girl".

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 07:25:30 PM »

That thing has got 2 rock-hard danglers and a big old sack full o' jizz!

This might make FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTASRD seem replaceable. Maybe.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 07:27:26 PM »

I would say he did that VERY consciously, as he was at odds with the band over their artistic path since the Surf's Up album.
I would say that the LA album definitely is in the POB mode far more than other BB efforts, with two amazing Denny cuts robbed from Bamboo, and a great Carl song voiced by Denny. And Carl's songs on that LP are very cool, mellow in a good way, without any of the AOR/MOR kowtowing of his KTSA efforts. And Good Timin' is, as Denny said, "another Surfer Girl".

I'd slightly edit that to say "with less of the AOR/MOR kowtowing..."

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »

You're absolutely right. A LITTLE AOR/MOR is fine with me.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »

That thing has got 2 rock-hard danglers and a big old sack full o' jizz!
This might make FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTASRD seem replaceable. Maybe.
Well at least some of my observations are recognized!   Grin
I do hear the POB/LA similarities... Denny worked his ass of to make that LP work well in his favor. Too damn bad it didn't make a splash. Shame.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2006, 05:40:19 PM »

I just hear MIU and I only think -- contract obligation.  At least 85 had them trying somewhat.  MIU is BB By Numbers without the whole band and with bland songs.

Of course, I think that there was only one BAD true BB album (I don't count Stars and Stripes as one).  Summer In Paradise should be banned forever.
Jason
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 07:55:26 AM »

I just hear MIU and I only think -- contract obligation.  At least 85 had them trying somewhat.  MIU is BB By Numbers without the whole band and with bland songs.

Of course, I think that there was only one BAD true BB album (I don't count Stars and Stripes as one).  Summer In Paradise should be banned forever.

Keepin' the Summer Alive is far worse than Summer in Paradise.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »

Keepin' the Summer Alive is far worse than Summer in Paradise.

No way, man. Not even close.

If it only had Goin' On and nothing else, it would be a hundred times better.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 08:09:10 PM »

Pacific Ocean Blue is so fucking awesome. Moonshine and Time are two of my favorite songs. With all this great material Denny was coming up with how could the Beach Boys not jump on it? It would've been great is the POB and Bamboo material had been Beach Boys albums. I wonder what would of happened if the Beach Boys had released POB as their comeback album instead of 15 Big Ones. I know they were done during different years but just go with this fantasy. And when are they going to re-release POB already?!?!?!?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2006, 01:30:14 PM »

I keep liking this one more and more. Not the bomb most consider it. In fact, I'd take it over Surf's Up or So Tough or KTSA anyday. Brian's voice is a bit better. Belles Of Paris, Pitter Patter, Wontcha Come Out, She's Got Rhthym, Tomboy, Diane....all good stuff. Winds of Change is a bit lame, though. Overall a fun record. I like it. Yeah, I said it. I gave it a 3. I almost said 4, but figured I'd get run out of town. 

I hate Matchpoint though.......
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2006, 01:42:32 PM »

MIU is almost a self-parody.

A couple really good songs: Sweet Sunday and My Diane

A couple guilty pleasures: Kona Coast, She's Got Rhythm

A couple decent songs: Winds of Change, Come Go With Me (which actually charted top 20)

and the rest:  ehhhhh...
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »

this record, along with "love you", sound great with a root beer and potato chips.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2006, 04:00:57 PM »

Post this one under the category of "guilty pleasures", but the fact remains that I dust off my MIU/ LA 2-fer more frequently than I do So Tough/ Holland or 15BO/ Love You (or for that matter KTSA/ BB85).  Now I'm not saying MIU is a better album than Love You.  I just tend to play it more for some reason. 

Let's do it again, kids!

She's Got Rhythm - Fun, in the most basic sense.  I like this better as an opener than "Let Us Go On This Way" or "Rock 'n' Roll Music".  Great to dance to.

Come Go With Me - In the words of Fred Sanford, "nurse!!!"   Boy these Al Jardine oldies can really be pinpointed as the exact moment the Beach Boys jumped the shark for good.  Noxious.

Hey Little Tomboy - I'm more than a little embarrassed to admit I love this song.  It's just such a pure Brian Wilson moment.  Killer melody, great harmonies, creepy and sinister come-ons from the guys to an unnamed, underage hottie.  fodaing brilliant.  People would worship this song if it had come out on Love You instead of MIU.

Kona Coast - What the hell was the point of this?  We can't come up with any new ideas, so lets just pillage one of Brian's old songs.  Actually I think this was one of the recycled Christmas songs, and probably should've stayed that way.  Worst lyric: "Welcome to the island mecca.  You'll learn to talk like a local, I'll betcha."  God help us all.

Peggy Sue - As if one awful oldie cover from Al Jardine wasn't enough, he now defiles Buddy Holly's corpse in a most vile and unfunky manner.  I can't talk any more about it.

Won'tcha Come Out Tonight - Pretty much defines the term "hidden gem in the Beach Boys catalog".  The vocal tag at the end is particularly amazing.  This is the type of music I would have loved to have seen the band focus on at the expense of the oldies and "new oldies".  The amazing thing about this track is that they make sounding great seem so effortless.  I mean, this is just a throwaway, right?

Sweet Sunday Kind of Love - Hey, it's Carl!  Carl sounds drunk or high.  I would probably be too if I was stuck in Iowa, cutting an album in the middle of winter.   About the tune-- this is another disturbing example of a "new oldie", where a band member or members (heh) would attempt to create a new tune that sounds like either vintage Beach Boys, Chuck Barry or Spector (the latter in this case).  And while I uniformly dislike all of these sorts of songs, this is probably amongst the better ones they did.   

Bells of Paris - Another re-write of an abandoned Christmas track ("Bells of Christmas") this one is actually quite beautiful, featuring great harmonies and a suitably understated lead from Mike.  Nice/ inoffensive.

Pitter Patter - Why do people hate MIU so much?  Ditch the oldies and "Kona Coast" and it's a pretty damn good album.  One thing to keep in mind is that despite the fact that most of this album was recorded in chilly Iowa, at their best the harmony vocals really emanate sunny love vibes everywhere, and nowhere is that more apparent then the magnificent fade to "Pitter Patter".

My Diane - Easily the highlight of the album.  This is actually a "New Album" outtake, featuring Dennis for the only time on this record.  In my "Surf's Up" review, I called "Til I Die" the last masterpiece Brian Wilson ever wrote, but upon hearing "My Diane" again, I will have to relinquish my previous claim and award that title to this song instead.  CONTROVERSIAL OPINION AHEAD:  I like this song better than anything on Love You.

Match Point of Our Love -  Say what you will about the lyrics and their stupid tennis metaphors, this song kicks all kinds of ass.  Reasons to like "Match Point": best Brian Wilson lead vocal, post-'71; great chord changes; amazing bridge section where Brian lays it all out on the line-- "No one ever held me the way you did/ No one could ever love me the way you did./ How could love slip away from me?"-- Is he singing to Marilyn or Diane here?  Either way, JESUS!  That's powerful stuff, and something that gets overlooked by nearly everyone who hears this song.

Winds of Change - Another song that gets hated on that I don't have much of a problem with.  Actually I think this is lovely.  Corny, sure, but nice... just like the album in hails from.  Like many other songs on this record, the highlight is the vocals on the fade; "won't last forever..."  It certainly wouldn't, but this moment encapsulates everything great about America's band.

3.5 stars; rounded up to 4.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 11:35:13 AM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2006, 04:26:26 PM »

Match Point of Our Love -  Say what you will about the lyrics and their stupid tennis metaphors, this song kicks all kinds of ass.  Reasons to like "Match Point": best Brian Wilson lead vocal, post-'71; great chord changes; amazing bridge section where Brian lays it all out on the line-- "No one ever held me the way you did/ No one could ever love me the way you did./ How could love slip away from me?"-- Is he singing to Marilyn or Diane here?  Either way, JESUS!  That's powerful stuff, and something that gets overlooked by nearly everyone who hears this song.

Winds of Change - Another song that gets hated on that I don't have much of a problem with.  Actually I think this is lovely.  Corny, sure, but nice... just like the album in hails from.  Like many other songs on this record, the highlight is the vocals on the fade; "won't last forever..."  It certainly wouldn't, but this moment encapsulates everything great about America's band.

I'm 100% with you on these two, Jason! I'm glad you had the guts to stand up for 'em. Can't say it much better than you did. The MIU album get hammered unjustifiably too often.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »

I'm 100% with you on these two, Jason! I'm glad you had the guts to stand up for 'em. Can't say it much better than you did. The MIU album get hammered unjustifiably too often.

Amen, Brutha.  I save my bile for KTSA instead!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2006, 05:05:12 PM »

AMEN. I love BW's vocals on this. However, I gotta disagree about WOC. To me, Al sounds like Kermit the Frog on that one.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 12:49:58 AM »

I actually thought this was a little better until i listened to it yesterday. Il give it a generous 2. Sweet sunday kinda of love, My diane (ok song, certainly not as good as some people make out), hey liitle tomboy (great song pity bout the lyrics), woncha come out tonight is kinda fun if stupid . The rest are very poor especially kona coast (one of the worst bb songs i have ever heard, pair it with "california calling" for a double a side release" Shocked), pitter patter , matchpoint and winds of change. Dont think il listen to this one for another year or so..

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2006, 01:11:53 AM »

Okay, recently I'm beginning to think MIU is fucking genius.  I know I should feel like Surf's Up and Holland are much better albums, but frankly I listen to MIU a lot more.  If you look at the years 1976-77, the band did a lot of good stuff then!!  Love You, POB, Adult Child, Bamboo and yes MIU.  Once they got over the hump of those initial 15 Big Ones sessions, they found the groove and stuck with it; at least for a little bit.  The dead end was a little album called Keeping the Summer Alive.  But the years 1978 and '79 were very interesting ones for the Beach Boys... and also critical years when it came to their future. 

SUICIDE
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2006, 02:19:55 AM »

Uh-oh, paging Doctor Landy...
mike thornton
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 09:20:06 PM »

you go, jason. sheeyat. i've liked this album since it came out. most bb newbies or pseudohipsters fail to see this has the *LAST* vintage sounding brian vocal on it. matchpoint. so what if the lyrics suk. all coldplay lyrics suk, as does weezer.  Afro

my diane is awesome. ever figure out the chord changes? like something off pet sounds. kona coast is a lot of fun. hey little tomboy is naive brianwilsonland. he's not a child molester. deal with it. things scare him...if yer an online addict, you'd scare him, too! hey, let's be hip and smug and diss miu! whateva.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 09:37:09 PM »

dude, I think MIU rocks as well...it's one of those things that grows on ya. i love every song on it that everyone hates...Kona Coast is fun...littletomboy has always been a fav...matchpoint is one of my favs...bells of paris is good

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2006, 09:51:49 PM »

Mostly merda.  2.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx