gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:38:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The M.I.U. Album
5 - 12 (7.9%)
4 - 22 (14.6%)
3 - 57 (37.7%)
2 - 42 (27.8%)
1 - 17 (11.3%)
0 - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The M.I.U. Album  (Read 127736 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2008, 04:17:40 AM »

I really like this Album, Nice to have playing while i'm surfin the web

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MBE
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2008, 04:53:08 AM »

She's Got Rhythm - 4/5
Come Go With Me - 4.5/5
Hey Little Tomboy - 2.5/5
Kona Coast - 2/5
Peggy Sue - 1.5/5
Wontcha Come Out Tonight - 3.5/5
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love - 1.5/5
Belles of Paris - .5/5
Pitter Patter - 3/5
My Diane - 4.5/5
Match Point Of Our Love - 4/5
Winds of Change - 2.5/5

I guess that's what 3.25?
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »

It is indeed the right place to post about this--these threads never die.

But your scores actually averages out to a 3.4666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666etc.

That is, unless some songs count for more than others.
Haha yeah I used the calculator and I figure I'd round down because it's below 3.5. Wink  That decimal place is about where I'd put it but I can't vote in the poll like that.  I guess I should do its twofer cousin, L.A. next.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:22:22 AM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »

She's Got Rhythm, Come Go With Me, and Sweet Sunday are all OK, but the rest of this album is sub-par.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »

She's Got Rhythm, Come Go With Me, and Sweet Sunday are all OK, but the rest of this album is sub-par.
Scratch that, been listening to MIU a bit more lately, I'm going to add Peggy Sue, My Diane, and (say what you will, but I like this song) Winds of Change to the list of tolerable songs from MIU.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »

2. Good as an easy listening album, not a BB album:

Best to worst:
She's Got Rhythm
Hey Little Tomboy
Come go With Me
Matchpoint of our Love
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
Kona Coast
My Diane
Wontcha Come Out Tonight?
Belles of Paris
Pitter Patter
Winds of Change
Peggy Sue
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2008, 02:31:41 AM »

Loved it when Peter Ames Carlin described "Belles of Paris" as Mike Love sounding just as sophisticated as Pepe le Pew.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »

Loved it when Peter Ames Carlin described "Belles of Paris" as Mike Love sounding just as sophisticated as Pepe le Pew.

Really?  I thought that particular statement was borderline idiotic, as was his general overall assessment of the album, but what can you do?  Undecided

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »

My Diane is very good.
She's Got Rhythm, Woncha Come Out Tonight and Winds Of Change (purely for the end, which I like) are good.
Peggy Sue, Kona Coast, Come Go With Me and Pitter Patter are tolerable to okay.
Everything else is awful. Worst song of the album? Split between Belles and Sweet Sunday.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »

Sweet Sunday is one of my favorites from MIU, just because its the only song on that whole album that Carl sings lead on.

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »

Scratch that, been listening to MIU a bit more lately, I'm going to add Peggy Sue, My Diane, and (say what you will, but I like this song) Winds of Change to the list of tolerable songs from MIU.
My Diane is probably my favorite song on the album as it has the most emotional depth IMO. There are other songs I enjoy on this album, but overall it is light fare

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2008, 02:33:41 AM »

You know how some albums take a while to grow on you? At first they seem like nothing special, then gradually you are hooked into them? Well, the exact opposite happened to me on 15 Big Ones. At first I thought it was, well, not brilliant, but OK, and now, a few months down the road, I can only listen to about six of the songs on it.

It's for that reason I'm refraining from voting on MIU and LA until they sink in a bit, as I've only heard them once(though I'd heard some of the songs off LA before.)

At first listen, I kind of like MIU.
 I love the sound of it--I think it's the best-sounding Beach Boys album post Holland.  It's slick, yet organic, like the great Wilson productions of the past, but without the genius.
The songs are pleasant and likeable as well, my least favorites being the covers.  Like I said, I might revise my opinion, but for now I quite like it. I'll give it a three. Nothing blows me away, but it's nice, pleasant,  the songwriting could be better.

They take a lot of flak for the retro vibe of the album, but I don't mind it. I guess because it's one facetof the album, and not the whole deal(as I imagine KTSA--which I haven't heard--to be.)

Of course, I prefer their earlier, forward-looking stuff, but I can deal with a few backward looking nostalgic songs.

I like My Diane and Pitter Patter, the rest is listenable. I think it's better than 15 BO, for sure. But I'm not officially voting for a week or so. Oh, screw it, I'll just vote a three and change it later. The covers are pretty good, but pointless.

Frickin' hate the cover, though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:06:21 PM by lance » Logged
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »

M.I.U. has 8 Brian Wilson originals on it. I'm not saying that is a guarantee of greatness, but these came out of the same period that spawned Love You, New Album and Adult/Child. The difference here is that the songs are pretty slicked up, and one has to admit, without the quirk, they sound sort of uninspired. But I really like "Sweet Sunday Kind of Love." The Dennis vocal on "My Diane" is bluesy, but almost painful to listen to.

Hate to admit it, but I like "Wind of Change" and the LP cover myself. They both evoke the end of that mustard-coloured Five Summer Stores Era in Los Angeles. An epitaph-to-hippy-surf. There was an '80s Japanese Beach Boys fanzine where this guy drew a comic-strip of the Beach Boys members acting out the lyrics to "Winds of Change." It's insane, because I think they guy who drew it was totally sincere.

"And then Al Jardine came in and built a sand castle, and Mike Love blew in the winds of change and knocked the castle down." You can only imagine where it goes from there...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2008, 11:39:52 AM »

Don't write off the two covers, "Come Go With Me" and "Peggy Sue". I think they're well produced, one was a hit single, and, they both possess some of the best Al Jardine lead vocals of his career.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »

I don't completely write them off, they are enjoyable for what they are: competent and definitely well sung; better than many of the covers on 15BO. But they seem kind of pointless, I guess, and there's nothing really special about them. I agree the vocals are great, though. It's an enjoyable latter-day BB album, but it is fairly light in substance--but I like it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:03:26 PM by lance » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »

M.

Hate to admit it, but I like "Wind of Change" and the LP cover myself.
The photo is cool. The design sucks. Maybe it made sense in 78--there is something very seventies about it, but not, IMO in a good way. I'm no graphic designer--I'm no anything, really...but anyway...I know what things I don't like look like, and that cover is one of the things I don't. But if it is expressing something to you that I don't get...well, that's interesting. From my view point it's expressing seventies shag carpet and wood-like wallpaper.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »

I'm changing my vote to two. A lot of the songs wear thin quickly.

It does not plunge to the depths of 15BO, but neither does it reach the heights of 15BO, either. (Not that those are very high.) Seven BOs and seven MIUs make a decent light pop album.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2008, 06:55:47 AM »

Really?  I thought that particular statement was borderline idiotic, as was his general overall assessment of the album, but what can you do?  Undecided

I just thought it was kind of funny the way he described it and I can most definitely see where he's coming from in terms of his overall evaluation of the M.I.U. Album. That said, the album might be lightweight and quite possibly among the "weakest" BB releases up to that point, but when I only recently put it in my player for the first time in months, I just couldn't escape its charms. Unlike stuff like KTSA, M.I.U. still feels like classic Beach Boys to me (at least occasionally), although some of its key elements might strike me as downright bland (and I used to virtually hate it when I first bought the M.I.U./L.A. twofer). While it clearly wasn't the best possible record they could've released after Love You, it's still an enjoyable listen from time to time.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »

I really like this album. It doesn't have much substance, but I really like it. And it really feels like a Beach Boys album. This sounds like the band that did Pet Sounds more than Holland does. She's Got Rhythm has a great falsetto vocal from Brian on it. Come Go With Me is better than the original. I've never had a problem with Hey Little Tomboy. I like the sleighbells on this version, too. Even though Kona Coast is a huge ripoff of Hawaii, that only makes it better. Peggy Sue has its moments. Wontcha Come Out Tonight is a legitimately really good song. Sweet Sunday Kinda Love has a good vocal from Carl. Belles of Paris is awkward. Pitter Patter is the Mike/Al partnership at its finest. My Diane is really heartfelt and I love the way Dennis sings it. Match Point of Our Love really sounds like "Pet Sounds 12 years later" to me. Winds of Change is nice, especially the fadeout.

This is a mainly positive, relaxing album. 4/5

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »

What I find interesting about M.I.U is that its one of those few Beach Boys albums that I immediately enjoyed. I remember hearing Pet Sounds for the first time and did not like it at all, but through time it has become one of my favourite albums. M.I.U. in terms of production is great but in terms of lyrics there are hits and misses. I actually admire the way they have taken harmonies from earlier songs and spliced them with new recordings, call it unoriginal, I call it nostalgic in a way. With 'Kona Coast' the melodies and the old harmony from the song 'Hawaii' go together REALLY well in my opinion. It definately beats 'Keepin The Summer Alive'. I laughed when my mom said "Gee, the 80's sure weren't good to them were they?" This was after she borrowed the album to listen to it.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »

I took a break from this for a while and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  Outside of My Diane I don't think any one song would classify as excellent to me, but it did feel fairly cohesive.  Doesn't stack up against their finer work but on its merits I guess I quite like it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2009, 09:10:28 PM »

Take out Rhythm and Belles of Paris, and replace them with Lookin' Down The Coast, and Country Pie, and you've got a solid three star album. Add Everybody Wants To Live, and you've got a cult classic. Tomboy is still somewhat creepy, but Brian and Carl save it. Thank God they took out the "shave your legs" lyric. Anyway, as it stands the album is a somewhat doubious two and a half stars.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:43:29 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2009, 12:18:36 PM »

I may have already mentioned this, but I love Kona Coast and Winds of Change!!

Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »

I said it before, and I'll say it again.....for me, this is the last Beach Boys "sounding" LP they ever did. Everything (LP-wise) after, is stale. For me, they lack any spark or life . This album is full of recognizable Beach Boys harmonies and has melodies that don't seem forced. I find this the last album I get any joy out of.

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »

Take out Rhythm
No. That song is amazing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx