gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:28:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan Berry's accident...  (Read 16886 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »

I know this is sort of from left field, but does anyone know how BW reacted to the news that Jan Berry was in an accident back in April of '66? Obviously he was likely sad, but how close were they at that late date? How 'bout the other guys? Maybe Mark can help on this. I've never read anything about the BB reaction to this terrible news. Sorry if this is weird, but Jan's accident did not happen in a vacuum, yet all I read about is what dean said and did, and maybe Hal Blaine as well. Thanks!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
MBE
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:14:38 AM »

Good question I never read a thing about what any of the Beach Boys said at the time.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:38:31 AM »

I don't have anything on that-but the most likely place for a BW response would have been an issue of KYA Beat or Music Beat or one of those early rock music papers from the relevant week-I guarantee that they had articles about the accident-though they may or may not have asked the BBs for reaction
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »

Mark Moore...Where are you?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »

The things I have seen that were in the rock press at the time of the accident in '66 don't go into any detail about how devastating and permanent  his injury was...probably because that wouldn't be known for many months and years. It seemed that some people were under the impression that he was going to make a full recovery, at least that was the insinuation. All the things I've seen were very brief and shallow...like "get well Jan, hope you are back in action soon." He was presented as the lucky survivor of a nasty crash, and on the mend.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »

From what I recall from seeing the TV biopic, "Deadman's Curve," it was a little bit hush-hush.  People really didn't know for years what happened to Jan.  He was isolated, partly of his own choosing, out of his own pride and not wanting people to see the shape he was in.  His public comeback was gradual, and it didn't happen until years after the accident.  I'm not even sure Dean knew everything that was going on with Jan for many years. 
MBE
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:28:44 PM »

Dean knew because he still had business with Jan through 1968.  The Wrecking Crew must have known by 1968 as well because Jan was doing sessions already.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 04:30:51 AM »

if you can find the sept 12th, 1974 issue of rolling stone there is a great article in it on jan and dean. a lot of that article was about jan and the accident and his recovery. brian mentioned a couple of times, along with a few others who worked with jan and his dream of having another hit record.

tricky dick stepping down is the cover story of that issue.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »

During one of my interviews with Brian, while discussing the Spring '66 era, I had asked him about the particulars about Jan's accident (how he found out, who told him, where he was, his initial thoughts...) -- he had zero recollection.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 12:50:55 AM »

Okay, I just saw this thread for the first time . . .

Brian was working on Pet Sounds (in various capacities) when Jan had his accident . . .

"Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)" on April 3, 1966 -- Jan's 25th birthday.

"Wouln't It Be Nice" on April 11, 1966 -- one day before Jan's accident.

"God Only Knows" on April 11, 1966 -- one day before Jan's accident.

"I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" on April 13, 1966 -- one day after Jan's accident.

And it's not surprising that Brian has few memories of hearing about Jan's accident. This was the beginning of Brian's descent into the abyss . . .

And funny enough . . . Jan (now brain damaged) and Brian (soon to be so, certifiably) . . . partook of illicit subtances together in the early '70s. I have documentation on this!

But make no mistake . . . Brian and Jan's friendship and relationship in the early to mid-'60s is illuminated far beyond their songwriting credits. Certain stories are not myths.

I ask all Brain Wilson fans to listen to track number 28 of our new Jan Berry / Jan & Dean Tribute Album (Amazon.com) . . .

This audio montage gives you an aural glimpse of Jan and Brian working together in the studio.

Mark M.

Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 03:54:22 AM »

Wasn't Jan initially reported as being dead?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 05:49:49 AM »

I've seen this picture of a badly mangled car (a license plate is visible) with these policemen surveying the damage, and the caption is describing Jan Berry's accident, as if this is the actual car. Is this THE actual picture of the car?

I've been thinking about Jan Berry lately. Talk about somebody who had it all. He was such a handsome man, very intelligent, and obviously talented. There isn't a lot, but I love watching any footage of Jan & Dean in their prime. Jan & Dean are kind of legendary, but I don't think Jan's accident is recognized enough. Recognized isn't the exact word I mean; it's just such a tragedy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:55:32 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 06:45:10 AM »

What were the circumstances of Brian and Jan doing 'Don't you just know it' in 1973? I like the record and its good to hear Brians old singing - though a lot weaker than it was.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
MBE
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 06:56:25 AM »

It's thought to be recorded in 1970, I don't think Brian's singing is weak, I think he's just trying to sound gritty ala "Bakers Man" or "Walkin". The outakes show Brian put his voice on first.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 08:17:38 AM »

And funny enough . . . Jan (now brain damaged) and Brian (soon to be so, certifiably) . . . partook of illicit subtances together in the early '70s. I have documentation on this!

But make no mistake . . . Brian and Jan's friendship and relationship in the early to mid-'60s is illuminated far beyond their songwriting credits. Certain stories are not myths.

Mark M.

What sort of illicit substances, Mark . . . LSD perhaps?  Interesting that Jan was going in a "psychedelic" direction after the accident, much as Brian was with Smile . . .
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 08:24:54 AM »

I've seen this picture of a badly mangled car (a license plate is visible) with these policemen surveying the damage, and the caption is describing Jan Berry's accident, as if this is the actual car. Is this THE actual picture of the car?

I've been thinking about Jan Berry lately. Talk about somebody who had it all. He was such a handsome man, very intelligent, and obviously talented. There isn't a lot, but I love watching any footage of Jan & Dean in their prime. Jan & Dean are kind of legendary, but I don't think Jan's accident is recognized enough. Recognized isn't the exact word I mean; it's just such a tragedy.

Yes . . . Here's a photo of Jan's demolished Corvette. This is the photo that accompanied newspaper reports about the accident.

Note that some one placed what appears to be a copy of Jan & Dean's 1966 tour booklet (designed by Dean) atop the wreckage. That, or at least the photo that was used for the cover of the booklet.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 08:34:18 AM »

if anyone wants to read that 1974 issue of rolling stone about jan i guess i could upload it.

plus i saw the beach boys in aug of 1987 in vegas at caesar's. on the 10th song a big surpise to all jan limped out to the mic and sung little old lady. not many seem to know who he was but he sure was proud to be on stage and had a big smile on his face. luckly i recorded that show. he didn't do to bad a job either.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:44:14 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 08:36:41 AM »

Wasn't Jan initially reported as being dead?

No . . . but emergency responders at first thought he might be dead when they arrived on the scene.

What happened was that a news report ran a misleading headline, reporting multiple car accidents within the past 24 hours . . . using Jan's name as the lead, and saying that three people had been killed.

Well, some egregiously careless journalist didn't read carefully enough, and published a story of how Jan's three passengers had been killed in his accident!

Amazingly, this falsehood is still pervasive . . . and has been perpetuated over and over by other writers!

Not only was Jan alone in his car . . . but it would have been damned crowded . . . as four people would not fit into a Corvette Stingray (a two-seater).

M.

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »

if anyone wants to read that 1974 issue of rolling stone about jan i guess i could upload it.

plus i saw the beach boys in aug of 1987 in vegas at caesar's. on the 10th song a big surpise to all jan limped out to the mic and sung little of lady. not many seem to know who he was but he sure was proud to be on stage and had a big smile on his face. luckly i recorded that show. he didn't do to bad a job either.

The Paul Morantz article in RS is a landmark piece . . . great stuff (with a cool full-page, full-color pic of Jan & Dean taken by Annie Liebowitz). This was back in the days when RS was like a newspaper . . . printed on news stock.

Paul knew Jan, and did some legal work for him.

The movie (based on the article) contains many falsehoods . . . but the article is much more accurate.

M.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »

plus i saw the beach boys in aug of 1987 in vegas at caesar's. on the 10th song a big surpise to all jan limped out to the mic and sung little of lady. not many seem to know who he was but he sure was proud to be on stage and had a big smile on his face. luckly i recorded that show. he didn't do to bad a job either.

The Paul Morantz article in RS is a landmark piece . . . great stuff (with a cool full-page, full-color pic of Jan & Dean taken by Annie Liebowitz). This was back in the days when RS was like a newspaper . . . printed on news stock.

The movie (based on the article) contains many falsehoods . . . but the article is much more accurate.

M.

one hears all kinds of falsehoods over the years but i was back in college in 1974. i seem to remember it being said that full page photo on the beach was to be the cover photo but the tricky dick/watergate fall from grace was used instead. any truth to that story? what i remember being said at that time anyway. thanks for any info...

Wilsonista
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 08:56:10 AM »

That's what Dean said in the J & D episode of Behind the Music.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 09:19:07 AM »

thanks for the reply rob. 1974 was a loooooong time ago for me plus college days are kinda fuzzy anyway (  Smokin ) but i remember that story being said. thanks again.....

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:55 AM »

Mark can you tell me what that thing with Jenny McCarthy was at some MTV-awards or something like this? I heard she yelled Jan's name or something.....?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »

Mark can you tell me what that thing with Jenny McCarthy was at some MTV-awards or something like this? I heard she yelled Jan's name or something.....?

That was at the American Music Awards . . . and Dick Clark arranged for that to happen.

Jan & Dean were in the audience . . . and Jenny gave a shout-out to Jan as a legend and one of the best producers of his era. It could have been said with better clarity and context, but . . . it was basically something to cheer Jan up. He was suffering from depression.

Chuck Harter took Jan to the event, and to one of the parties afterward. According to Chuck, Dean told Jan: "I like your date."

M.

Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

M.

one hears all kinds of falsehoods over the years but i was back in college in 1974. i seem to remember it being said that full page photo on the beach was to be the cover photo but the tricky dick/watergate fall from grace was used instead. any truth to that story? what i remember being said at that time anyway. thanks for any info...

Yeah, they were supposed to be on the cover.

M.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx