gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:38:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sloop john B with carl and dennis lead?  (Read 5057 times)
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »

has this version ever turned up as an outtake on any bootlegs or the official box set, or has it been  erased?  I don't have the pet sound box set, but is it on there. 

Also,  do the alternate versions on the box like "you still believe" have the early  guide vocals before the group got back from japan?

thanks,
matt

File Under: Teen- Best Sellers
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »

The Pet Sounds box set has an early version of "Sloop" with Dennis on lead...nothing with Carl, as far as I know.

The alternate versions on the box are mostly working group versions, with a few exceptions.  For instance, there is a working version of "Here Today" with Brian doing the lead (repeating the first verse twice) and no group backing vocals.  There is also a short snippet of Brian laying down backing vocals for "Don't Talk" by himself (worth the price of the box all on its own).  Hope this helps!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »

Some of the alt. mixes with the group backing vocals still feature rough leads, though.  WIBN, GOK, and IJWMFTT appear with rough leads.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »

The Pet Sounds box set has an early version of "Sloop" with Dennis on lead...nothing with Carl, as far as I know.

Don't you mean the other way around?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:16:45 PM »

Don't you mean the other way around?

Oops, yeah I did! 
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 10:51:32 AM »

Another thing about the alternate versions of the Pet Sounds Sessions box: lead vocals on the sax solo and the a capella tag versions of GOK: Carl of Brian?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »

The Dennis lead (first verse only if I remember correctly) has been booted - can't remember if it was on the Sea of Tunes two boxsets, it probably was, and possibly on a Vigotone release like Capitol Punishment.  I'll check when I get home.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »

Disk 3 Leggo My Ego

Sounds pretty good to IMO.
signum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 02:13:46 AM »

Another thing about the alternate versions of the Pet Sounds Sessions box: lead vocals on the sax solo and the a capella tag versions of GOK: Carl of Brian?

All the box set versions of "God Only Knows" are sung by Carl. The difference is on the tag: only on the original release does Brian replace Carl's part.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 09:10:18 AM »

The Dennis lead (first verse only if I remember correctly) has been booted - can't remember if it was on the Sea of Tunes two boxsets, it probably was, and possibly on a Vigotone release like Capitol Punishment.  I'll check when I get home.

Wow, someone put that up on youtube, stat!
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »

wow.  we're pretty lucky to have this stuff in one form or another.  Too bad it didn't make the box set.

thanks

wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »

I noticed that the tracking for 'don't talk'' is absent from the set and all boots that I've seen.  is there any snippet that exists?

also, mike's lead on IWFTD, is this the version with the beach boys where brian wasn't satisfied and erased everyone's vocals and replaced them with his own?

finally, does 'You still believe' on the set feature a diffrent vocalist?

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »

You Still Believe in Me has Brian as vocalist on the box set and on Pet Sounds - it's single tracked on the box set.  If I understand your question correctly.

Take 1 of Don't Talk has been booted, it's on Leggo My Ego - instrumental take.
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »

oops, i meant on the alternate take of "You still believe';.  so, that one's just single tracked brian.

thanks   Smiley

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:22:34 AM by wgolly » Logged

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 10:02:50 PM »

I've always wondered about that booted "take 1" of Don't Talk.  According to the boxed set, the tape had disappeared from the vaults, so it wasn't used on the set.  I think I remember reading somewhere that "take 1" had first appeared on a very early vinyl boot.  Has this tape ever managed to resurface?  Are there any more takes available out there?
Jason
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »

Take 1 of Don't Talk, I believe, first circulated way back in 1982 when the first session material from the 60s leaked out, although at the time this was unbooted stuff. Also circulated during this period was a vocal session for Please Let Me Wonder, a vocal session for Do You Wanna Dance, some Pet Sounds session clips (You Still Believe In Me, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Wouldn't It Be Nice), and of course, several more Smile fragments, although those had existed on cassettes as early as the late 1970s.
MBE
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 12:35:44 AM »

Never made it to vinyl sadly.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »

Take 1 of Don't Talk, I believe, first circulated way back in 1982 when the first session material from the 60s leaked out, although at the time this was unbooted stuff. Also circulated during this period was a vocal session for Please Let Me Wonder, a vocal session for Do You Wanna Dance, some Pet Sounds session clips (You Still Believe In Me, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Wouldn't It Be Nice), and of course, several more Smile fragments, although those had existed on cassettes as early as the late 1970s.

This stuff appeared on Time to Get Alone (2CDs), Capitol Punishment, Leggo My Ego, and the Pet sounds Sessions (on Yellow Dog).  Don't know what happened to some of the original tapes as they weren't on the Sea of Tunes Today boxes and don't Talk wasn't on the Pet Sounds boxes.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 12:35:44 PM »

I'd still love to hear the Denny lead on Sloop.
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 07:58:39 AM »

were any of the PS sessions released on vinyl in the 80's, or just tape and cd?

MBE
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 01:12:21 AM »

These were only tapes in the 80's. Pet Sounds outakes to make it onto vinyl are the three common ones on most Pet Sounds CD issues in 1994, and a 1996 ep from the Sub Pop label that predated the boxset (it was basically promotion for it while it was tied up. Pet Sounds is being issued on vinyl again and the add showed the cover to have the 3 bonus tracks which may be an error but we'll see. If so it's good because the 1994 issue is hard to find and didn't even list the cuts on the cover.
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 08:38:11 AM »

do you know which company is putting the  new ps vinyl out?  wasn't a color vinyl put out by capitol  just 2 years ago?

MBE
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 02:40:28 PM »

Capitol did a two record set 2 years back. They are the ones putting it out again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx