gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:55:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Funky Pretty  (Read 13882 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »

So, my natural response would be, then why did the guys do such a beautiful job singing on the record, why did they/Carl finish it, and why would they ultimately release it - complete with picture sleeve (more $$$$$ spent)?

I don't know, that's just what I've heard. Maybe Carl and the group (mainly Carl it would seem, who was always very sympathetic to Brian) finished it as a goodwill gesture, after they saw that Brian was hurt? Maybe the record company wanted more Brian, regardless of what it was? That's how "Sail on Sailor" got on the record.

Maybe the others didn't dig the suite that much, at first. I think it's a big bore, myself. But it was finished and included in the package, after all. Yeah, probably to apease Warner and keep Brian happy and motivated for Beach boys endeavours.

And after all of that they still made sure that it was clearly distinguished as being separate from Holland.

An LP can only contain so many minutes of music. Including MVaFA in the plate would drastically hurt the sound quality. They could record more tracks and give Warner a double album (yeah right  Cheesy) or any number of Beach Boys could volunteer to take out their tracks to acommodate MVaFA.

I'm perfectly happy with the solution as it was, an added bonus EP, like in Songs in the Key of Life. More music for the buyer. Anyway, did it hurt Brian to have it as a separate EP? He was probably more concerned about food and cocaine at that point.

Or was it like "Til I Die", where a few negative comments can send him retreating?

Can Brian, once in our lifetime, not be considered the wussiest rock musician ever born?  Grin He finished 'Til I Die just like he wanted it, end of story.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »

Can Brian, once in our lifetime, not be considered the wussiest rock musician ever born?  Grin He finished 'Til I Die just like he wanted it, end of story.

But he is. He bragged to Howard Stern about not having massive orgies with girls.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 12:50:49 AM »

An LP can only contain so many minutes of music. Including MVaFA in the plate would drastically hurt the sound quality. They could record more tracks and give Warner a double album (yeah right  Cheesy) or any number of Beach Boys could volunteer to take out their tracks to acommodate MVaFA.

Easy one - take out Leaving This Town.  Grin
MBE
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 04:16:16 AM »

The 1990 vinyl had MT Vernon stuck on. I wonder how the pressing sounds? I always wanted one just because of it being a novel version.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »

So, my natural response would be, then why did the guys do such a beautiful job singing on the record, why did they/Carl finish it, and why would they ultimately release it - complete with picture sleeve (more $$$$$ spent)?

I don't know, that's just what I've heard. Maybe Carl and the group (mainly Carl it would seem, who was always very sympathetic to Brian) finished it as a goodwill gesture, after they saw that Brian was hurt? Maybe the record company wanted more Brian, regardless of what it was? That's how "Sail on Sailor" got on the record. And after all of that they still made sure that it was clearly distinguished as being separate from Holland. I know I heard a bootleg with a tape of Brian playing parts of the fairytale to a reporter in Holland and he sounds really into it and proud. Why didn't he finish it, then? Just because of randomly changing moods? Or was it like "Til I Die", where a few negative comments can send him retreating? We'll never know, but they're just as probable.

It's mostly Warner Brothers wanting more Brian, i think. Mo Ostin (head of Warners at the time) apparently signed them mostly on the assurances that Brian would be at the helm. And apart from Funky Pretty, he's barely on the stuff they did in Holland (iirc, he literally phoned in his contribution for Sail On Sailor  Roll Eyes )

I prefer the instrumental version of Mt. Vernon myself - it sounds so lush in places

Speaking of LP lengths.... why only 9 songs? Steamboat isn't that long, ffs. And is always the case, they had plenty of stuff going. Was there a specific reason it's got so little on it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 10:47:31 AM »

Speaking of LP lengths.... why only 9 songs? Steamboat isn't that long, ffs. And is always the case, they had plenty of stuff going. Was there a specific reason it's got so little on it?

Standard US practice at the time was for ten songs per LP.  Remember that publishing royalities were treated different in the UK and US.  The UK had a standard amount per LP which was then divided by the number of songs to get the royalty per son, whereas in the US each song is worth a fixed amount, the amount of songs then determining the total royalties due per LP.

The LP proper has nine songs, but when you added the Mt Vernon EP (which was divided into five tracks IIRC), royalties are actually being paid on 14 songs.  Since the LP/EP configuration was a compromise to appease Brian, Reprise probably negotiated a rate reduction on royalites with the group so the amount being paid was the equivalent of ten songs.  Didn't the group also have to absorb the extra costs of manufacturing the EP as well as part of the compromise?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »

Let's keep in mind it was immediately preceded by an eight-song "LP," too... Heck, even four of the 10 songs on Surf's Up clocked in at under 3 minutes. The BBs weren't exactly over-extending themselves in that regard in those years. (Funny, considering how much material dates from the late 60s through early 70s.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »

The BBs weren't exactly over-extending themselves in that regard in those years. (Funny, considering how much material dates from the late 60s through early 70s.)

Yes, and the fact that they had six songwriters in the group. I think I understand the politics that went on inside the group, but I'm still surprised at the relative lack of representation from each individual songwriter. Obviously, there were no solo albums coming from the group; were they that content with just touring?

The biggest surprise to me regarding "Mount Vernon" was that they (the record company and/or the group) splurged on that special picture sleeve. The future pressings used only a plain white paper sleeve. I guess they didn't care as much about making Brian happy. Grin

MBE, I'm curious about that 1990 vinyl edition of Holland. Do you know if "Mount Vernon" was simply tacked onto Side B, or was the sequencing changed in any way?

busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »

Hold on there a second.  Some of us happen to love "Leaving This Town."  It's probably my favorite track on Holland and one of the Beach Boys' best in the entire decade, IMO.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 02:48:55 AM »

Hold on there a second.  Some of us happen to love "Leaving This Town."  It's probably my favorite track on Holland and one of the Beach Boys' best in the entire decade, IMO.

Ha! Ten years ago almost to the day. Grin

Saw this while looking around for info on whether Marilyn might have been involved in the tag of "Funky Pretty".

I must say, I have to agree 100% with busy doin nothin. Smiley

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »

Ha! Ten years ago almost to the day. Grin

Saw this while looking around for info on whether Marilyn might have been involved in the tag of "Funky Pretty".

I must say, I have to agree 100% with busy doin nothin. Smiley

Me three!  "Laving this Town" -- Now there's a song where I dig the "Concert" version a bit more.  Great B3 solo by Carly Munoz.

And I agree with the Moog parts on "Funky Pretty" elevating the track.  I recall being quite stoned and hearing them sounding like birds wailing at the end. Almost eerie.  I'll have to go back to that....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 06:23:27 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:00:56 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 07:10:39 AM »

I think Marilyn is on the tag of Funky Pretty singing the "ooooooooh funky" part with Brian. I'm sure she's mentioned it as something she sang on. So the tag is Blondie, Mike, Carl, Billy Hinsche, and probably Marilyn+Brian together. As for the rest of the song, the vocal credits thread here isn't quite right, Ricky has no lead vocal spots.

OK, thanks!

It's a pity the Vocal Credits thread can't be amended. Unless the mods know a way round that...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SmileyBrian67
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »

What about the weird play on words at the end
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx