gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:49:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Funky Pretty  (Read 13879 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »

I know that Brian's on the skins (drums) for this track, but does he provide most of the other instrumentation? Also is he on any of the backing vocals?

AFAIK, this song was written & recorded in one session, ostensibly one of the few (aside from Mount Vernon and Fairway) in Holland where Brian was truly active.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:02:28 PM »

My guess would say he is contributed more than just drums, but I can't say for sure.  For the backing vocals, my ears say you can hear Brian on the "Ooooooooohh FUNKY"'s near the end of the song, if anyone knows what part I'm referring to.  Really seems to me like his voice stands out a bit there.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:02:41 AM »

The only parts on Holland where I can really make out Brian are on the fairy tale and Cal Saga pt 3.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:42:07 AM »

An article from the "Holland" era stated that all the instruments on "Funky Pretty" were played by Brian, Carl, and Ricky.  I would imagine that Brian played drums and most or all of the keyboards, Carl played the guitar and maybe some keyboards, and Ricky overdubbed the percussion.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:57:45 AM »

From 02:22 to 02:35 you can hear Brian on the backing vocals. He sings something like "funky pretty gone", three times.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
MBE
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »

Ooh Funky is him slightly speed up.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »

He's also singing  "Funky Girl, why" part in the normal, "correct" speed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:09:34 AM »

An article from the "Holland" era stated that all the instruments on "Funky Pretty" were played by Brian, Carl, and Ricky.  I would imagine that Brian played drums and most or all of the keyboards, Carl played the guitar and maybe some keyboards, and Ricky overdubbed the percussion.

Ricky probably played the moog, as he did on "Leaving This Town".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:57:12 AM »

Ricky probably played the moog, as he did on "Leaving This Town".

I think the moog really adds a lot to FP.  Do we know who did the arrangement of the moog parts -- Ricky or Brian?  It always sounded to me like the atmospherics of some of the Spring album (esp.  Sweet Mountain).

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »

I love the way they did "Funky Pretty" live — it rocked in a way the studio version didn't.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »

I agree, I always loved the version on the Concert album....it seemed like a steller song to keep on setlist

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 08:09:37 AM »

I really like this song.  Silly but good....and it seems to have been done with tongue in cheek to some extent.   Part of the greatness of Holland.   So many good songs.  It has occured to me that If CATP and Holland were melded into one release back in the day, with a couple of the weaker numbers deleted...and only a couple....this would have been one monumental album.  And given the short period of time between releases, at least by today's standards, it would have been a truly great album done in a relatively short time....again, by todays standard of 3 years betweeen albums.

I've listened to FP carefully and I hear the very high electronic melody overtop and behind everthing else......and it sounds similar to some of the sounds I hear on Mt Vernon.....have you noticed it?

A sound Brian was into at the moment?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »

yeah, i always thought Funky Pretty sounded a lot like Mt. Vernon and Fairway...a good intro to the EP if you will....

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »

... it sounds similar to some of the sounds I hear on Mt Vernon.....have you noticed it?
A sound Brian was into at the moment?

Yep, totally.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 11:38:20 PM »

I really like that synthesiser sound on that album(on that song and MT.Vernon.)
I had always thought that nearly all the instruments were Brian. That is truly one weird track.

I like the live version a little better, too, but it's a different animal.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 02:47:13 AM »

I didn't like the concert version as much as it obviously lacked most of the beautiful synth touches so prominently featured in the original arrangement. Brian really should've done a whole album bursting with FP/Sweet Mountain-type "magic synthesizer" songs in 1973.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 09:08:15 AM »

I didn't like the concert version as much as it obviously lacked most of the beautiful synth touches so prominently featured in the original arrangement. Brian really should've done a whole album bursting with FP/Sweet Mountain-type "magic synthesizer" songs in 1973.

I agree with this.  The concert version doesn't do as much for me because it lacks the synth touches.  The synthesizer really elevates the song into something special.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »

Supposedly Brian wanted to make "Mt. Vernon & Fairway" and "Funky Pretty" the centerpiece of a new BB album, but the group felt that "Mt. Vernon" was a little too weird to be a centerpiece. Supposedly Brian felt rejected and stopped working with the group for awhile.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »

Exactly what kind of MOOG is that on Funky Pretty?
To my ears it sounds like a Mini Moog.
And the MOOG "bass line" during the Copenhagee/Tokyosee section sounds phenomenal
when played LOUD! Shakes the floor like MOOG Taurus bass pedals do when listening to Genesis or RUSH.

Bri
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »

Supposedly Brian wanted to make "Mt. Vernon & Fairway" and "Funky Pretty" the centerpiece of a new BB album, but the group felt that "Mt. Vernon" was a little too weird to be a centerpiece. Supposedly Brian felt rejected and stopped working with the group for awhile.

Ouch.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »

I can't see Mt. Vernon as the center of a Beach Boys album; however, it's interesting to think if the Beach Boys had styled a 'fairytale'-themed album in the style of That Lucky Old Sun, with a few lines of narration in between similarly themed groups of songs. That could have been cool. ...The Beach Boys present a California fairytale?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »

Did Brian want "Funky Pretty" as centerpiece of ANY album? It sounds more like he woke up in good mood and decided to join the boys in the studio, writing this light ditty in a matter of minutes. After the Holland experience, how did Brian stop working with the group? He recorded the Christmas single and was available for the next try at a new album at Caribou Studios, in '74.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »

Deja Vu all over again? Another SMiLE situation?

So, my natural response would be, then why did the guys do such a beautiful job singing on the record, why did they/Carl finish it, and why would they ultimately release it - complete with picture sleeve (more $$$$$ spent)?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:52 PM »

So, my natural response would be, then why did the guys do such a beautiful job singing on the record, why did they/Carl finish it, and why would they ultimately release it - complete with picture sleeve (more $$$$$ spent)?

I don't know, that's just what I've heard. Maybe Carl and the group (mainly Carl it would seem, who was always very sympathetic to Brian) finished it as a goodwill gesture, after they saw that Brian was hurt? Maybe the record company wanted more Brian, regardless of what it was? That's how "Sail on Sailor" got on the record. And after all of that they still made sure that it was clearly distinguished as being separate from Holland. I know I heard a bootleg with a tape of Brian playing parts of the fairytale to a reporter in Holland and he sounds really into it and proud. Why didn't he finish it, then? Just because of randomly changing moods? Or was it like "Til I Die", where a few negative comments can send him retreating? We'll never know, but they're just as probable.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »

Dada, I wasn't disagreeing with the theory that Brian might've felt dejected and stopped working with the group over "Mt. Vernon". He probably was/did. My post was just an observation that, again, the group ultimately rose to the occasion and recorded the song, brilliantly in fact, much like the SMiLE material.

By 1972, the guys probably felt that if Brian wanted something recorded, record it, because A) they didn't want him to retreat again (which he did anyway), and B) due to Brian's dwindling output, they'd take ANYTHING they could get their hands on.

It seems that Brian ultimately got recorded every song he ever wanted recorded. I'm curious, does anybody know of any songs that Brian wrote and wanted to record that didn't get recorded?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx