gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 02:37:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Surfs Up' side 2  (Read 7850 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »

I dislike much of Mike's later stuff, SDT rocks. Dennis' drumming is terrific and the production is very life like. It even ran my dad off the road once, he thought there were cops behind us.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »

I know I'm pretty much an all-around Mike apologist, but I have to admit to always skipping past Student Demo. It's just how loud his freakin voice is mixed that gets me. You have Disney Girls, just a perfect song/recording/just GORGEOUS, then suddenly you have this wailing guitar (pretty good actually, whoever is playing) and then this guy just spitting into your ear about "Berkeley free speech"!!!! I have no problem at all with the lyrics/sentiment and think the song kinda rocks, but it's just those first few seconds which send me hurtling across the room to tear the needle from the record eveytime

I agree with you. Whoever mastered the Sunflower/Surf's Up 2-fer CD goofed up big time. The song it too lllloooouuuudddd.

I also agree with Smilin Ed H's post. Why take anything off? Just add Dennis's songs. If he would've let them....
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 11:46:38 PM »

It even ran my dad off the road once, he thought there were cops behind us.
EVERY SINGLE TIME I listen to SDT in the car I think I'm being pulled over. It puts me in a state of anxiety and unease which I guess is what the song wants you to feel.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 02:00:05 PM »

TaLoyF is AWFUL. If they needed some filler after Dennis pulled off his tracks, they could have taken HELP, Games People Play or I Just Got My Pay. They're little homemade ditties as well, but at least something happens in them.

I really liked Looking at Tomorrow, til I listened to that Kingston Trio track. Oh Al, Mike rewrote Room Cell #9 but at least gave credits to Leiber and Stoller.  Roll Eyes

SDT is a nice change of pace in the album, like "Got to Know the Woman" in Sunflower. I like it.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »

You guys are drinking the Kool- Aid. Kool-Aid Man

Take a Load off Your Feet is great, way better than SDT. (which isn't saying much, but still...)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 10:10:02 PM »

I just had a vision (maybe this belongs in the Monterey hypotheticals thread)...

Smile is released on time and becomes the Beach Boys' most famous album. Brian still has a terrible nervous breakdown and loses control of the band. The rest of their career is spent trying to capture the glory days of Smile with Smile-esque compositions. Instead of releasing things like "Some of Your Love" and "Kona Coast", they release things like "Take a Load Off Your Feet".

"Take a Load..." is so Al-does-Smile I can't see how you guys don't like it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »

It's Al does HELP
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »

I just had a vision (maybe this belongs in the Monterey hypotheticals thread)...

Smile is released on time and becomes the Beach Boys' most famous album. Brian still has a terrible nervous breakdown and loses control of the band. The rest of their career is spent trying to capture the glory days of Smile with Smile-esque compositions. Instead of releasing things like "Some of Your Love" and "Kona Coast", they release things like "Take a Load Off Your Feet".

"Take a Load..." is so Al-does-Smile I can't see how you guys don't like it.

Perfect analogy! "Take A Load" woulda fit perfectly on Smile and people would be gushing over it if it had.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »

I wouldn't, I assure you.

We'd be all here posting about "Smile Side Two" and omitting it from that instead.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:55:06 AM by John » Logged
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »

Probably so, but it's still a wonderful song and no more goofy than lots of other BBs stuff.... I  give that award to Brian and Mike for Matchpoint!
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 08:56:39 AM »

I think of "Take A Load Off Your Feet" as being in the same category as "Vegetables"--a goofy, funny, catchy little ditty not meant to change the world or the face of music.  Certainly not the best thing in the Beach Boys' catalog, but far from the worst.

My feeling is that if you like "Vegetables," there's no reason why should despise "Take A Load Off Your Feet."

Glenn
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »

Hmm. I don't despise it, I'm just bleh on it. I like Vegetables though.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »

Take a Load (huhuh) is a fun song and its kinda catchy...but I mean its not -AS- catchy as Vegetables...and it definitely doesnt have that 'sing a long' feel to it...I think the reason is because they invested way too much into its production, maybe if they kept it simpler...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »

I like both SDT and TALOYF. My only problem is they don't fit with the rest of the songs well. SDT is too loud for the album (I would have perferred it on CATP over He Come Down), and TALOYF is too cheesy (would've fit well on Smile or Friends).

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »

But hey, as far as "message" songs are concerned, I've been told to eat my vegetables all my life, but how many times have I been told to really take care of my feet?

Al has a good point.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »

Indeed, that's part of the charm...what other band has sang about the subject? I was talking with a fellow BB fan and we concurred that the BB's sang songs about almost everything imaginable in their career. I really love this tune.

What do you think Al's feet smell like, anyway?.... Onions? Corn chips?
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 11:16:28 PM »

probably horse manure considering he lives on a ranch
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx