gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:11:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis as a studio drummer  (Read 29184 times)
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »

Let's emphasize that it's not just the first two LP's that he's on most of...but also Surfer Girl, LDC, Shut Down vol. 2, and All Summer Long as well...plus the live LP, plus nearly half of Today! and four tracks on Summer Days...really Pet Sounds is the only LP from the beginning until Friends where he's not drumming much(unless you count Party). Smile...hmmm...I think he's on Holidays, i don't know what else...but there's probably more. I'm sure if you listed every track every drummer has played on BB's sessions up to 1979...including Blaine and Fataar and Dragon etc... that Dennis will have played on far, far more than anybody else...and probably nearly as many as all the others combined. That's why the, "he didn't play drums on many BB's songs...but hey he's a great songwriter" thing really is BS and shows how lazy so many BB's journalists were, and still are, in their research. Yeah he was a great songwriter...but he also played drums on a majority of BB's recordings...including a bunch of the hits. And don't get me started on the Dave Marks was a "temporary fill-in" for Al Jardine...man...that was the biggest BB's lie of all...and it still permeates their history practically everywhere you can find a dumb journalist writing about it. Okay...back to my meditation.

Just goes to prove that is really does take what amounts to investigative journalism just to get a handle on the Beach Boys story
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 01:34:22 AM »

Pipeline

c-man, do you mean "Punchline"? Unless you're talking about the Bruce Johnston song? Roll Eyes
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2008, 01:38:34 AM »

Yep...Denny's on "Fun Fun Fun"

c-man, I always thought that it was Hal on FFF? Well wasn't he atleast at that session (January 1, '64?) So do you mean that it's Dennis on drums or percussion or what? Or is Hal on percussion (which was rare but I know that still happened on occassion - Dance Dance Dance perhaps?)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51:48 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy
Peggy Sue
My Diane
Come Go With Me (probably)

Wow, just looking back at this now I just thought, it's always made out that Dennis had nothing to do with M.I.U. (besides singing lead on My Diane).. well this sort of disproves that myth. Granted it's still not a whole load of drumming credits but still it's more than I always thought.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2008, 02:22:13 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy
Peggy Sue
My Diane

Wow, just looking back at this now I just thought, it's always made out that Dennis had nothing to do with M.I.U. (besides singing lead on My Diane).. well this sort of disproves that myth. Granted it's still not a whole load of drumming credits but still it's more than I always thought.

I have a suspicion it's Dennis on Peggy Sue too. I think I have a way to somes tell his drumming. He always comes back real hard on the high hat on the upbeat after a fill. Might just be my imagination, but it's one of his little trademark things. I think it's from playinmg match-grip and hitting so hard.

He's also playing the congas on It's About Time. I have a boot of just the drum/conga track. It rocks!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2008, 04:32:48 AM »

Pipeline

c-man, do you mean "Punchline"? Unless you're talking about the Bruce Johnston song? Roll Eyes

No, "Punchline" IS what I meant.
Thanks.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 04:33:58 AM »

Yep...Denny's on "Fun Fun Fun"

c-man, I always thought that it was Hal on FFF? Well wasn't he atleast at that session (January 1, '64?) So do you mean that it's Dennis on drums or percussion or what? Or is Hal on percussion (which was rare but I know that still happened on occassion - Dance Dance Dance perhaps?)

They're both playing drums on there. 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2008, 04:36:05 AM »

They're both playing drums on there. 

Oh okay thanks c-man Smiley Had a feeling that might've been a possibility
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2008, 04:36:53 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy
Peggy Sue
My Diane

I have a suspicion it's Dennis on Peggy Sue too. I think I have a way to somes tell his drumming. He always comes back real hard on the high hat on the upbeat after a fill. Might just be my imagination, but it's one of his little trademark things. I think it's from playinmg match-grip and hitting so hard.

He's also playing the congas on It's About Time. I have a boot of just the drum/conga track. It rocks!!

Well...that's A Dennis playing congas on "It's About Time" alright, however it's Dennis Dragon.
As for the MIU tracks that Dennis Wilson plays drums on...they were all recorded in 1976, at Brother Studio.  Those tracks are outtakes from the 15 Big Ones and "New Album" sessions.  
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2008, 04:48:38 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy
Peggy Sue
My Diane

Well...that's A Dennis playing congas on "It's About Time" alright, however it's Dennis Dragon.
As for the MIU tracks that Dennis Wilson plays drums on...they were all recorded in 1976, at Brother Studio.  Those tracks are outtakes from the 15 Big Ones and "New Album" sessions.  

It's Dennis Dragon on drums on It's About Time and Dennis on congas? Right?
And do you mean it's Dennis Dragon on Peggy Sue?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:29:51 AM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2008, 07:24:01 AM »

Earl Palmer is drums on "It's About Time", right?
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2008, 07:37:02 AM »

Earl Palmer is drums on "It's About Time", right?

It's funny, not only does dennis get slammed by the "Hal Blain played on everything" myth, but all these other guys get shortchanged too. no disrespecty to Hal, of course.

Actually, I prefer the way Dennis played Sloop John B, Good Vibrations, Wouldn't It Be Nice over how they are on the records. "Sloop" rocked a lot harder, especially. Dennis just had great feel and had no drummer-ego. It was all heart & soul.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2008, 07:47:44 AM »

I always felt, seeing him play,  that he was actually left handed - and that this was the self- taught way he ended up doing it,  after initially copying R. hand techniques. 

I doubt it. I'm a left-handed, self-taught drummer and I play the drums like a right-handed drummer. I tried to play that way Dennis did, with the left hand on the hi-hat and the right on the snare, but it felt completely unnatural to me. However, I do know a few right handed drummers who prefer to play that way. I think that for most people it's a conscious choice, cause when you play like that, you can make the snare drum sound more consistent. Cause sometimes you can hear that drummers hit the snare harder when they're playing the ride than when they're playing the hi-hat.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2008, 10:34:04 AM »

Hey Little Tomboy
Peggy Sue
My Diane

It's Dennis Dragon on drums on It's About Time and Dennis on congas? Right?
And do you mean it's Dennis Dragon on Peggy Sue?

No...It's About Time has Earl Palmer on drums & Dennis Dragon on congas.
Peggy Sue has Dennis Wilson on drums.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »

Interesting about Carl and Brian on drums...we have evidence that they both could play a bit but I didn't realize they did it in the studio (although "Long Promised Road" does not surprise me).

How about a thread about the BBs on instruments they didn't usually play, e.g.:
Dennis on guitar
Carl or Brian on drums (or Brian on bass after 1965)
Al on piano
Mike on any instrument (e.g. could it be him playing piano on "Big Sur?"  I doubt it, but you see what I mean.  It's possible.  The piano part is about a first grade level and it's his song)
Bruce on guitar (did he play at all?  I've heard yes and no)
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »

Desper said Brian played guitar on Breakaway.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »

Bruce played the mandolin on "Disney Girls".
He also sometimes played one of Carl's guitars onstage (late 1978-early 1979). 
He probably just played the bass strings.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »

Bruce played the mandolin on "Disney Girls".
He also sometimes played one of Carl's guitars onstage (late 1978-early 1979). 
He probably just played the bass strings.

I'd find it hard to believe that someone as immersed in music who could play bass and piano (and apparently mandolin) couldn't play guitar, at least at a rudimentary level--open position chords, for example. It seems like it would take willfully defiant ignorance to keep from learning the basics. (Ditto with Mike when he's plunking around on a keyboard on some late 70s video that's on youtube. How could you avoid becoming at least proficient at a beginner's level?)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2008, 04:00:08 PM »

I agree with Luther.  Being around instruments every day of your life lends itself to helping you learn basics.

Don't forget the Party! promo shot where Bruce is rather convincingly holding a guitar.

Besides, it not like guitar is rocket science to begin with.  At least an e minor chord.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2008, 04:23:28 PM »

Didn't Bruce use to accompany Denny on You re So Beautiful on guitar at  times? I'm sure there was a concert review which said so, possibly in one of Kingsley Abbott's scrapbooks.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »

Didn't Bruce use to accompany Denny on You re So Beautiful on guitar at  times? I'm sure there was a concert review which said so, possibly in one of Kingsley Abbott's scrapbooks.

Yes, a review somewhere said that.   A smiliar review that I read shortly after Dennis died said Bruce was playing bass on that song, while Billy was playing piano.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »

Interesting about Carl and Brian on drums...we have evidence that they both could play a bit but I didn't realize they did it in the studio (although "Long Promised Road" does not surprise me).

Dennis on guitar
Carl or Brian on drums (or Brian on bass after 1965)

Dennis played guitar in Barbara, from Endless Harmony.
Brian played drums: The Wanderer, majority of Love You album...

Brian played bass in Susie Cincinatti, recorded in 69, but released in 76. 
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »

Brian played bass in Susie Cincinatti, recorded in 69, but released in 76. 

This actually appears to not be true.  The 69 basic track was cut seemingly in Brian's absence.  Carl's too for that matter.  It sounds like Al on guitar, Bruce on Piano, Dennis Dragon on Drums, and somebody who's not Brian on Bass.  The bass style is way out of Brian's vocabulary, for one, and two it's not like Brian to not say a word on a session.

I would guess it could be Daryl.  It doesn't really sound like Ray Pohlman's bag either.  They were hiring all kinds of session bassists at that time, but this seems self-contained.

I really don't know how good of a Fender Bass player Daryl is, but the line has a casual funky ease to it.

That's not to say Brian didn't O.D. some bass on it, but the original bassline survives to the final master.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

One fun post '65 Brian bass moment is Smiley Vegetables.
MBE
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »

I always thought Brian played harmonica on Susie.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx