gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phil Spector Speaks on Brian's "Joints"  (Read 10630 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 01:53:20 AM »

Harrison's solo was good, but I think the appeal in the other version is the low key mood.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »

The solo in LIB wasn't a moog, it was a guitar feed through a Leslie speaker, wasn't it?
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:26 AM »

That's right.  Both solos are George on guitar.  According to Mark Lewisohn's book, both solos are on separate tracks on the original 8-track session reel.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »

I remember reading that both solos were on the same 8 track, yes... but still I much prefer the screaming guitar solo to the muted whatever the hell it is on all the other versions.  I was so dissapointed with 'Naked" when it didn't have that. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »

I too prefer the "raw" guitar version of Let It Be.  It gives relief to the churchy sound of the rest of the song.

Matt-----is the Dion/Spector album really that good?  I've been tempted to buy it a couple of times but read mixed reviews.   I'm about to buy Bronx and Blue........which should I get first?  ( I do believe the Spector record is available---think I saw it at Borders not too long ago)
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »

I didn't mean for this to turn into let's discuss Phil thread, but since that's what it's become, check out this recent photo of Phil and his 27 yr old wife:

http://www.tmz.com/2008/02/22/spector-kills-on-the-red-carpet/

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »

I just don't understand the justice system. How do they let a suspected murderer out in public like that? He should be in jail.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 07:48:58 AM »

He was a genius but the shadow he cast(s) over Brian is hugely unnecessary.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 06:31:47 AM »

"with his living 27 year old blonde wife"

LOL  they had to mention that she was living.  Just goes to show there are some *stupid* women out there. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »

Didn't he produce the Ramones End of the Century. That was a pretty good album IMO.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 09:28:45 AM »

"with his living 27 year old blonde wife"

LOL  they had to mention that she was living.  Just goes to show there are some *stupid* women out there. 

Im pretty sure they meant 'live-in'...as in they live together.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 09:50:39 AM »

Please, please, please somebody put me out of my misery and explain either the reasoning or at least your opinion behind this:

Why does everybody prefer the 'naked' or single version of "Let it Be" (the song) when the album version of Spector's had that SMOKING george Harrison guitar solo on it?Huh  The moog solo or whatever it was is a COMPLETE letdown everytime I hear it, I honestly feel that's the best solo the Beatles ever played, and it's only available on the original Spector album.  Am I crazy?  Do people really prefer the anti-climatic moog just trudging through the chords compared to that blistering guitar track?

Put me down as preferring the Spector version.

With that said, though, I honestly think Brian contributed more to the field of production than Spector did.  Sure, Spector invented the wall of sound and had a great ear,  but the wall  of sound is flawed in that it's all recorded in the red and extremely muddy.... the modular recording Brian pushed on Good Vibrations has stood the test of time and is still how most music is recorded, and Brian's inventive concepts for song structures and the 'modular' album structure he was working with on SMiLE are much more impressive than Phil's work. 

I know this is a bit of an old post, but I just had to reply:
THANK YOU, ROn, I thought I was the only one who preferred the "blistering guitar solo" by George on 'Let It Be' as opposed to that boring moog/organ bit on the single version, on Past Masters vol. 2. That guitar solo is just beautiful, really lyrical. It doesn't ruin the mood of that song, it enhances it.
Not only that, but I feel that Spector's string overdubs on 'I Me Mine' and 'Across The Universe' greatly improve the songs. 'Across The Universe' especially, considering that awful sped-up version that appears on Past Masters 2, with the irritating girls bg vocals. Thanks for ruining that song, Paul.
I do agree though that his overdubs on 'The Long And Winding Road' are over the top and annoying. The naked version is better.

And I totally agree with Brian surpassing Phil by about 1964 or so. Wall of Sound vs. Wave of Love. Spector may be a complete ass, but I do enjoy his productions quite a bit. Still, Brian is WAY better, and he probably doesn't even realize it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »

And I totally agree with Brian surpassing Phil by about 1964 or so. Wall of Sound vs. Wave of Love. Spector may be a complete ass, but I do enjoy his productions quite a bit. Still, Brian is WAY better, and he probably doesn't even realize it.

Hmmm... I've always wondered that, does Brian really know or at least think he is/was better than Spector? The reason I wonder this is cause obviously Brian's not one to boast in interviews etc.. but I sometimes wonder if he really does think that he surpassed Spector?
MBE
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »

No he has often commented that he never beat Spector. Of course I disagree.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »

Has Brian ever commented about how he felt about Spector's music going out of style and his career pretty much ending in 1966? I mean if Spector was truly superior to Brian he should have been able to adapt to the changing times and keep making great music. I'm a fan of Spector's later work but 'River Deep Mountain High' was the end of the party.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:42:43 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
MBE
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 12:11:44 AM »

No Brian never has mentioned it , but I bet he collected Spector's later work.
Ana-Lu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 03:16:57 PM »

Phil Spector layered tons of instruments on top of one another - frequently pounding out the same chords and rhythms.  Brian's stuff was much more intricately arranged, with interlocking lines, countermelodies, more color and texture.  Brian's approach was more sophisticated than Phil's by the time of "Summer Days."   Brian's arrangements actually started someplace and went someplace; Phil starts out ff and ends fff.   Phil made some OK records but that's about the extent of it.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »

'I wish I had a nickel for every joint Brian Wilson smoked trying to work out how to get my "Be My Baby" sound,' he jokes."

And Brian should get a nickel for every actress Phil shot because "River Deep, Mountain High" was no "Good Vibrations".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:39:23 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »

'I wish I had a nickel for every joint Brian Wilson smoked trying to work out how to get my "Be My Baby" sound,' he jokes."

And Brian should get a nickel for every actress Phil shot because "River Deep, Mountain High" was no "Good Vibrations".

Amen, brother.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx