gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:06:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiling Pets
5 - 2 (33.3%)
4 - 2 (33.3%)
3 - 1 (16.7%)
2 - 1 (16.7%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiling Pets  (Read 18296 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2006, 05:38:34 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Smiling Pets, released in 1998.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:33:04 PM »

I love OTC..but not on these. And the rest of it isn't my thing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:35:02 AM »

i like this a whole lot, it's really out there.
i only have a problem with Here Today which to me is really annoying and reflects nothing of Brian Wilson and the version of You Still Believe in Me, when i hear that voice at the begining, i cringe.
all the smile(y) stuff is good though. Holidays on there is great.!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 07:02:18 PM »

My only complaint is that they repeat songs. Having said that, it is my favorite BBs tribute.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »

I like it just for the fact that there's a band on it called Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her. I also like Secret Chiefs 3's version of Good Vibrations using the original Tony Asher lyrics and the hum de dum chorus (plus rejected parts from the GV sessions), a whole 6 years before Brian decided to resurrect those parts. Overall, an excellent album!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:31:31 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 01:23:58 PM »

I saw this on CDNow around the time An American Family aired but didn't actually get to hear it for another nine years or so. I appreciated it as a gateway to Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her and Melt Banana, but overall I feel like the most of the artists present take too many liberties with the compositions (though in relativity to the 2012 Mojo Magazine covermount "Pet Sounds Revisted" I'd say it's pretty faithful.) Particularly disliked the Wind Chimes cover with added original lyrics, but really liked the synthed out version of Let's Go Away For A While.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:24:38 PM by Occasional grilled cheese » Logged

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 07:59:51 PM »

I had no idea this was the title of a legit cd. It's the same title I gave to a mixtape cd about 10 years ago, with a mix of things that I felt were the most Smile Sounding. Pancreas by Wierd Al Yankovic, Pale and Precious by the Dukes of Stratosphere, Can't Wait Too Long by the Beach Boys (shock!), Overwhelming World Suite by America.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx