gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:12:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: cool, cool water  (Read 4839 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »

I"m wondering if any of you have put this song on your personal smile mixes? i'm referring to the late 1967 version that was originally slated to be on the wild honey album, not the longer Sunflower version.  I know that it's connected to "love to say da da", but i've never put it on any smile mix because it wasn't recorded during the smile sessions.  I just love this piece of music.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:31:56 PM by beachboire » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »

I don't use the 1967 "Cool Cool Water" for the reason you stated - it wasn't recorded during the SMiLE sessions. In some of my very early SMiLE mixes, I used "Cool Cool Water", but after BWPS came out, I switched to "I Love To Say Dada", and stayed with it.

However, and not to appear contradictory, I did edit/splice the "water chant" portion out of Sunflower's "Cool Cool Water" and use that because I like the thunder and wind sound effects.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:12:07 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »

Whilst 'Cool Cool Water' was not recorded during the 'SMiLE' sessions it was certainly written during that period. That was in March '67 I believe just after Brian moved to the house on Bellagio. So you could say that it is a 'SMiLE era' tune.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:28:48 AM »

The first attempt at recording Cool Cool Water was on June 3rd - so it probably was written in March but may have been written immediately before recording it.  It came two weeks after Dada was recorded, so the interesting question to me is - was this a rewrite of Dada (piano riff is similar) and therefor a replacement for the "water" section of Smile, or a separate but similar song with no relation to The Elements (Brian now being in his post Smile Smiley mode), or was it meant to go with Fall Breaks on Smiley as a surrogate for The elements on Smiley?
XY
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:32 AM »

Of course "Cool, Cool Water" is part of my SMiLE mixes, but not the late 1967 version. For some reason I'm sure that Brian had the "Cool, so cool, coolin' me" phrase in mind when he recorded the "All Day" piano backing track in January 1967. For me, "Cool, so cool..." is just a missing vocal overdub on the "Love To Say Dada" track. And perhaps there were more lyrics over it like "Remember to drink enough water...all day long" and then right into "Vegetables".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »

The first attempt at recording Cool Cool Water was on June 3rd - so it probably was written in March but may have been written immediately before recording it. 

Is that from an AFM sheet - the only title I have for a 6/3/67 session is "Vegetables" vocals at Sound Recorders. The only session i have for "Cool Cool Water" in 1967 is 10/29 at Wally Heider.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

Of course "Cool, Cool Water" is part of my SMiLE mixes, but not the late 1967 version. For some reason I'm sure that Brian had the "Cool, so cool, coolin' me" phrase in mind when he recorded the "All Day" piano backing track in January 1967. For me, "Cool, so cool..." is just a missing vocal overdub on the "Love To Say Dada" track. And perhaps there were more lyrics over it like "Remember to drink enough water...all day long" and then right into "Vegetables".

There are obvious backing vox that sing "da-da da da da" on CCW that I'm sure would've been included on ILTSDD...I feel that when Da DA was recorded he already had the vocal structure formed in his mind, which probably included the "Hawaii" melody from little pad....you know, not the whole melody, but just the cadence on the word "HawaII..."- which subsequently appeared on BWPS..."in Blue HawaII". The clarinet would've definitely supported the lead vocal as he did with so many of his other compositions...

I'm curious as to what he originally had in mind for the long pauses on Da Da, which are longer than the pauses on BWPS...

I have mixed feelings about CCW. While the tune is obviously light years better than so much of their other stuff in their catalogue, the 3rd section seems "watered down" (no pun intended) and tame...maybe it's the presence of Mike Love's voice and lyrics, or it became more of a band tune rather a Brian one.. I mean it's great, but just tame. It's not as cool as the "wah wah hoo wah" vox. I really dig the "waaater.....waaater " backing vox though...See, I have mixed feelings about this tune....but I don't put it on any of my SMiLE mixes...the water chant is also mixed too low for my taste. The water chant happens to be probably my fav. BB vox...

ILTSDD is more appropriate in any SMiLE mix IMO, but I prefer the stereo version from Secret Smile... The drums and percussion on Da Da remind me of splashing around, having fun, being a kid!!---CCW is more like just wading in a swimming pool after work, all grown up, paying bills....Da Da even incomplete is superior in many ways, IMO.

For some reason I'm sure that Brian had the "Cool, so cool, coolin' me" phrase in mind when he recorded the "All Day" piano backing track in January 1967. For me, "Cool, so cool..." is just a missing vocal overdub on the "Love To Say Dada" track. And perhaps there were more lyrics over it like "Remember to drink enough water...all day long" and then right into "Vegetables".

Out of curiosity, where would the "Cool, so cool, coolin' me" line fit in ILTSDD? Do you put the tune in front of Vegetables? Is "Remember to drink enough water...all day long" something you just thought up? Not to be a pain, it's just that DaDa and CCW are fascinating tunes and I want to learn as much as possible about them...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:55:46 AM by noname » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 01:49:07 PM »

I'm curious as to what he originally had in mind for the long pauses on Da Da, which are longer than the pauses on BWPS...

Maybe it was always intended for a line like "In an ocean or in a glass, cool water is such a gas" to be sung during the pause.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »

Bear in mind that  part of the 1970 "CCW" - most likely the 3rd section - had it's origin in a Coke commercial.

In a bottle or
In a glass
Coca-Cola is
Such a gas !

[my lyric, btw, but it has to be close]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »

Apropos: remix/mashup guy Chris Shaw, a/k/a/ "CCC", did a "Sgt. Pepper" mashup called "Hawaii 64" in which he pastes Paul McCartney's vocal track of "When I'm 64" to Brian's SMiLE version of "In Blue Hawaii"/DADA.  While Shaw was at it he noticed that "Cool Cool Water" was in the same key and tempo as "In Blue Hawaii", and melded the music from that in the mix as well.  Fascinating bit of musicology, and a fun listen if you like that sort of thing.

You can go here to check it out (all free of course):
http://www.mashups.blogspot.com/

Don't know the guy, just like his stuff.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
XY
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 11:49:25 PM »

Out of curiosity, where would the "Cool, so cool, coolin' me" line fit in ILTSDD? Do you put the tune in front of Vegetables? Is "Remember to drink enough water...all day long" something you just thought up? Not to be a pain, it's just that DaDa and CCW are fascinating tunes and I want to learn as much as possible about them...

You can sing the complete CCW Chant over "Dada", just a bit faster. The long pause before Part 3 would be for "Waaaater!" with echo effect. "Rememer to drink enough water...all day long" is just my usual nonsense, because the first recorded Dada version was called "All Day" and there's one lyric in SmileySmile that goes "Remember the day, remember the night, all day long".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »

The first attempt at recording Cool Cool Water was on June 3rd - so it probably was written in March but may have been written immediately before recording it. 

Is that from an AFM sheet - the only title I have for a 6/3/67 session is "Vegetables" vocals at Sound Recorders. The only session i have for "Cool Cool Water" in 1967 is 10/29 at Wally Heider.

The source is Alan Boyd if I remember correctly - during the BB tape vault search.  Not sure where it was recorded and if the information is from a tape box or an AFM sheet.  I can try to find my original communication concerning this.  But at the time it raised the question of whether Dada and Cool Cool Water were meant to be separate songs or if Cool Cool Water was a "rewrite" of Dada.

Carl's track list for Smile included I Love to Say Dada (incorporating Cool Cool Water).  I put the Wild Honey Cool Cool Water after the long pause between Part 1 and Part 2 of Dada - although I suspect Carl would have just edited it on the end, but he did say "incorporating" which sounds like it's interpolated within the song.  Water chant/Dada Part1/Cool Cool Water/Dada Part 2 makes a nice mini water suite.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »

I put the Wild Honey Cool Cool Water after the long pause between Part 1 and Part 2 of Dada - although I suspect Carl would have just edited it on the end, but he did say "incorporating" which sounds like it's interpolated within the song.  Water chant/Dada Part1/Cool Cool Water/Dada Part 2 makes a nice mini water suite.

I like that idea! If you - or anybody else - would like to share their personal SMiLE mix sequencing, I would appreciate it. I still find the sequencing mystery/debate fascinating...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »

You can sing the complete CCW Chant over "Dada", just a bit faster. The long pause before Part 3 would be for "Waaaater!" with echo effect. "Rememer to drink enough water...all day long" is just my usual nonsense, because the first recorded Dada version was called "All Day" and there's one lyric in SmileySmile that goes "Remember the day, remember the night, all day long".

Exactly what I think as well. Whenever I listen to BWPS I sing the CCW chant while Brian sings "Oh I could use a drop to drink right now." It just fits in so well I can't imagine why they didn't include it (besides the fact that it was recorded in June of 67). I would love to hear if someone was able to splice the two. I would have attempted it for my SMiLE 67 mix but it just seemed liked such a tedious to task to match the pitch and the speed.

Sherrif I will pm you my SMiLE 67 mix of CCW sometime this week.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »

For some reason I'm sure that Brian had the "Cool, so cool, coolin' me" phrase in mind when he recorded the "All Day" piano backing track in January 1967. For me, "Cool, so cool..." is just a missing vocal overdub on the "Love To Say Dada" track. And perhaps there were more lyrics over it like "Remember to drink enough water...all day long" and then right into "Vegetables".

Jasper, I'm highlighting your quote, not to question it or put you on the spot, but to preface my question.

Do you (or anybody?) think that Brian's original SMiLE intention was to go the eventual Sunflower "Cool Cool Water" route (with not the exact lyrics of course, but concept), and when BWPS was being constructed, changed to the "Blue Hawaii" concept? Does my question make sense or is it too jumbled?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »

Makes sense...the original SMiLE intention I think was a "Blue Hawaii" type song...I think that CCW was just a natural progression after 2 and a half years or so....
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »

Little Pad on Smiley Smile bears more than a passing resemblance to In Blue Hawaii.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 08:18:36 PM »

Little Pad on Smiley Smile bears more than a passing resemblance to In Blue Hawaii.

....not a coincidence, imo
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »

OK, it's back to the boxed-set "Cool Cool Water", replacing the boxed-set "I Love To Say Dada" - for now.

I try to be a purist on my SMiLE mix(es), and when BWPS came out, I figured I'd stick with "I Love To Say Dada". But, the "Cool Cool Water" snippet does work so well. What's the final consensus?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 03:17:56 PM »

I'm for Da Da.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 06:22:58 PM »

Sometimes I'm thrown between which one to use. I used both Da Da and the 1970 CCW for one. My most recent one had 1967 CCW used as an intro to Water Chant/Da Da. I don't know if anyone else had noticed, but the hammering in Workshop sounds to me like its almost in the same tempo as the beginning to 1970 CCW. Those 2 songs segue perfectly into each other, that is if you're using Workshop as the rebuilding after the fire, and not before Vega-Tables.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »

....that is if you're using Workshop as the rebuilding after the fire, and not before Vega-Tables.

Are you?

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx