gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:39:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cabinessence sequence done when? (Are verse vocals def. from 68?)  (Read 29616 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:31:19 PM »

Is the version of Cabinessence from 20/20 sequenced as it was intended in 66/67 or did they put the Home on the Range/Who Ran the iron Horse/Grand Coulee Dam bits together in 1968, i.e perhaps those bits were separate songs previously? The Keith Badman book suggests this (p. 231 Nov 20th 68) but if they were separate songs it surprises me that BW or the BBs would make the effort to combine these pieces into a cohesive song unless it was obvious that Brian intended it that way during the Smile sessions. I mean, why not work on Surf's up or CIFOTM instead of something that is ostensibly 3 separate songs. If anyone can put me straight on this it'd me much appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:05:13 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:35:29 PM »

It was intended to be in the released sequence. Contemporary acetates bear that out.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »

PLUS, the vocals are of 1966 vintage, but were given the ol' ADT (Artificial Double-Tracking) by Desper and Carl in 1968.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 04:56:08 PM »

Thanks - I really thought the verse vocals were freshly recorded in 68. I don't doubt what you're saying but out of curiosity, how do you know that they are 66 vocals?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:57:59 PM »

One of my favorite songs in the world.

I think it is the absolute perfect recording, performance, and song.

Such a beautiful song, with beautiful words, and beautiful sounds.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jason
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »

Thanks - I really thought the verse vocals were freshly recorded in 68. I don't doubt what you're saying but out of curiosity, how do you know that they are 66 vocals?

Mr. Desper said so, I believe. I forget who exactly, but I have a pretty good idea it was Stephen.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 05:06:16 PM »

Thank you all for the info. Yes I too think it's beautiful the Grand Coulee bit at the end just blows my mind. I never tire of this song but that's true for so much of the Smile stuff. I can't work out if I'm obsessed or if it's because it's incomplete or if it's just because it's beautiful music. I think if it was completed in 67 it would not be such compelling music. That's probably another thread though ...

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »

Does anyone know what prompted Dennis to add the "secret" lyrics underneath "Who Ran the Iron Horse"?

In recent interviews, Brian has said that they were totally Dennis's effort, Brian had nothing to do with it--and not even Brian knows what it was all about.

Interesting that Brian would let someone other than himself or Van Dyke Parks make such a notable contribution to the Smile-related material, especially back then.

Glenn
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:33:36 PM »

The "truck drivin' man" lyrics, as far as I know, are a 1968 addition...maybe Carl's idea?  I'd be interested to know more about this as well...
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 11:57:42 PM »

Dennis said that Brian wrote that bit for him.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 11:58:13 PM »

Always understood they were Van Dyke's lyrics. Do they look like BW words ?

Don't think so...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 01:14:09 AM »

The "truck drivin' man" lyrics, as far as I know, are a 1968 addition...maybe Carl's idea?  I'd be interested to know more about this as well...

Doesn't the Frank Holmes artwork have references to these lyrics? They must be from 66/67.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 01:27:32 AM »

Those lyrics don't strike me as being Van Dyke Parksish at all, especially in comparison to the rest of the song.  They don't fit in with the Cabin Essence lyrics, so I doubt Brian or Van Dyke would've written them.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 01:29:04 AM »

Doesn't the Frank Holmes artwork have references to these lyrics? They must be from 66/67.

The artwork that references these lyrics dates from the late 90s/early 2000s.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 09:41:14 AM »

Those lyrics don't strike me as being Van Dyke Parksish at all, especially in comparison to the rest of the song.  They don't fit in with the Cabin Essence lyrics, so I doubt Brian or Van Dyke would've written them.

Well, I think they kinda fit with the truck being the "modern" iron horse....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »

Now, don't forget that Mike Vosse interview, where he describes his impressions of the new Cabinessence vs. what he knew it as in 1966.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 09:52:13 AM »

"Cabinessence", for example,started out as a wholly different trip- Dennis was going to sing it by himself and sound like a funky cat up in the mountains somewhere singing to a chick by a fireplace: very simple- and that's all there was to it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 12:18:12 PM »

Those are 1966 vintage as well. Surviving tapes indicate this.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »

As far as I can determine there's no evidence that Carl or anyone else recorded a verse vocal for this in 66/67 - the session tapes and mixes from 66 indicate there was no lead verse vocal, and we don't have any record of any further vocal sessions after 66 until the 20/20 period.  There might be some clues in the multitrack tape as to when things were done but that's missing - only the stereo mixdown is extant according to Alan Boyd.
Jason
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 04:36:44 PM »

The verse vocals were recorded in 1966, but were never mixed down. The bootlegs we have are taken from mix tapes made in December 1966, and Brian had not yet mixed down the lead vocals. The chorus vocals (including the Truck Drivin' Man section) and the tag vocals had been mixed down early on. Brian had all the pieces in a jumble, but Carl put them together. There is a December 1966 acetate doing the rounds that features the same structure as the released version, but does not feature the mixed-down lead vocals. But I have it on good authority (Steve Desper) that they were recorded.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:49:59 PM by Dr. UNH, Esq. aka Jason » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 04:50:02 PM »

I think Stephen may be mistaken - why go to the trouble of recording the lead vocal and not mix it down, when all the other pieces were mixed down?  His memory is good but not infallible.  And he was not the recording engineer on the Smile sessions - he only stepped in for some of SMiley at the home studio when the engineer they had been using was ill.
Jason
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »

Maybe Brian had bigger plans for Cabinessence, didn't know what he was going to do with the track and he just brushed it aside for later. Obviously, he never returned to it, since soon afterwards he devoted himself full-time to Heroes and Villains. The verse vocals on the released version were the victim of ADT (Artificial Double-Tracking), which leads me to believe that what was recorded in 1966 might just have been a guide to be replaced later. If this is the case, it was obviously never replaced and Carl decided that the ADT was the best solution. Plus too, if this guide vocal theory of mine is true, what a guide vocal Carl put down.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 11:55:07 PM »

I'd hazard that lead vocals were recorded for Cabinessence but were wiped, as they were for most other Smile songs.
Jason
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »

Guys, I've asked Mr. Desper about the issue of Carl's lead vocal, he said it was too far back for him to remember, but he said he wasn't certain that it was a 1966 vocal. His memory is a little shaky, but I believe him.

Maybe my info isn't as good as I thought.....Andrew, can you help a brother out?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 12:50:08 AM »

I've recently been pondering the verse vocals to Cabinessence and I have a hunch they were added in 68 and the above post would seem to suggest this.

Is there any new info on when these vocals were added? As far as I'm aware none of the booted versions of Cabinessence feature the verse vocals.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:51:05 AM by buddhahat » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx