gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:52:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Own BB Compilation  (Read 3602 times)
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »

With some free time on my hands I thought about constructing my own BB compilation, although in the sense that I did it, I made a conscious effort to make it flow like an album in concept and sound.  Basically I compiled some of my favorite stuff from Wild Honey to Surf's Up that I found to be relevant for what I was going after.  You'll see there are a few spots where the track lineup connects with real LP track lineups.  I only went with 12 songs like the standard LP seemed to have. I tried to make the ones I selected form some kind of creative connection, granted it's hard to be perfect.  Most of all I wanted to go with songs I thought were particularly strong, although some may not always agree.  Any feedback is welcome. 3D

1. Break Away
2. Wake The World
3. This Whole World
4. Add Some Music To Your Day
5. Friends
6. All I Wanna Do
7. Forever
8. Our Sweet Love
9. I Went To Sleep
10. Time To Get Alone
11. Let The Wind Blow
12. 'Til I Die
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:07:02 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »

Did a sort of 'greatest non-hits' myself for the same period awhile back. A lot of the same tunes and one you can play that sounds great and nobody knows who the f*** it is!  Grin
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:00:50 PM »

Here is one that does not include any songs that appeared on an album. I call it, Landlocked, although, I'm not sure what was really considered for the real Landlocked album

Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Celabrate the News
San Miguel
I Just Got My Pay
Fourth of July
Lonely Days

Soul of Free
Sail Plane/Loop De Loop
Games 2 Can Play
A Time to Live in Dreams
Can't Wait Too Long
Old Man River

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »

A lot of the same tunes and one you can play that sounds great and nobody knows who the f*** it is!  Grin

Haha yeah I know what you mean, on occassions I have been playing a lesser known song or whatever and then someone might ask "who's this" and then you tell them and they respond in a really sarcastic sounding voice "ohhh, The Beach Boys!"

Nice compilations too by the way, and just a minor correction MTR it's Sound of Free.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »

A lot of the same tunes and one you can play that sounds great and nobody knows who the f*** it is!  Grin

Haha yeah I know what you mean, on occassions I have been playing a lesser known song or whatever and then someone might ask "who's this" and then you tell them and they respond in a really sarcastic sounding voice "ohhh, The Beach Boys!"

Nice compilations too by the way, and just a minor correction MTR it's Sound of Free.

Man! I've done that before too! Soul of Free would make a nice song title, though. Maybe I will write it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:23:02 AM »

Did a sort of 'greatest non-hits' myself for the same period awhile back. A lot of the same tunes and one you can play that sounds great and nobody knows who the f*** it is!  Grin
A ton of people are thrown when I say that the music I am playing is the Beach Boys.  I probably would have been the same way a couple years ago really.  I like the idea of an album that flows well and has top-notch quality so that's why I like the idea of a custom tracklist.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:29:06 AM »

I made a conscious effort to make it flow like an album in concept and sound. Any feedback is welcome.

1. Break Away
2. Wake The World
3. This Whole World
5. Friends
6. All I Wanna Do
7. Forever
8. Our Sweet Love
9. I Went To Sleep
10. Time To Get Alone
11. Let The Wind Blow
12. 'Til I Die

I'll take you up on it. I played around with the sequencing a bit. It's an obsession of mine. What do YOU think?

1. Add Some Music To Your Day
2. Wake The World (I'll be there when you're calling me)
3. Friends (at night I get a call and I know that you're well)
4. Time To Get Alone (to the park)
5. I Went To Sleep (I took a walk and sat down in a park)
6. All I Wanna Do (when I sit and close my eyes)
7. Our Sweet Love (will last Forever)
8. Forever (so I'm going away - breaking away?)
9. Breakaway (why change the part of me that has to be free)
10. Let The Wind Blow
11. Til I Die (I'm a leaf on a windy day)
12. This Whole World (happy cause you're livin' and you're free)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:12:01 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »

That is a great line-up.  I am not a big fan of Add Some Music for whatever reason.  I don't know what I'd open up with instead, though.  Maybe Darlin', I don't know.  Good list, though, and 4 out of 12 in 3/4 time.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

My compilation included 'Marcella' live to show just to show how bitchin the band was in concert. Really throws them that. Grin
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »

I made a conscious effort to make it flow like an album in concept and sound. Any feedback is welcome.

1. Break Away
2. Wake The World
3. This Whole World
5. Friends
6. All I Wanna Do
7. Forever
8. Our Sweet Love
9. I Went To Sleep
10. Time To Get Alone
11. Let The Wind Blow
12. 'Til I Die

I'll take you up on it. I played around with the sequencing a bit. It's an obsession of mine. What do YOU think?

1. Add Some Music To Your Day
2. Wake The World (I'll be there when you're calling me)
3. Friends (at night I get a call and I know that you're well)
4. Time To Get Alone (to the park)
5. I Went To Sleep (I took a walk and sat down in a park)
6. All I Wanna Do (when I sit and close my eyes)
7. Our Sweet Love (will last Forever)
8. Forever (so I'm going away - breaking away?)
9. Breakaway (why change the part of me that has to be free)
10. Let The Wind Blow
11. Til I Die (I'm a leaf on a windy day)
12. This Whole World (happy cause you're livin' and you're free)
Any direction you go with these songs is pretty awesome for me.  I like the lyrical connections you put in there.  On my order, I just liked the idea of Break Away starting off.  It just gave me that feeling of inviting in the listener.  The first songs I had were genuinely happy, moving from the very beginning of the day, to exploring the day, to enjoying a gift within the day.  The next area moves on towards emotional relation, starting with friends and then a relationship suite (in the same order it came on Sunflower).  I Went To Sleep maintains this light mood while also hinting at a change in direction.  Time To Get Alone has reminders back of the experiences in the day, but occasional melancholy tones are brought with the final two, which I find to work together nicely despite on opposite ends of the timeline.  I like it though.
That is a great line-up.  I am not a big fan of Add Some Music for whatever reason.  I don't know what I'd open up with instead, though.  Maybe Darlin', I don't know.  Good list, though, and 4 out of 12 in 3/4 time.
I might not have included ASMTYD if the mood wasn't so relevant and if it was without the powerful middle section (Carl+Brian+group).  I love Darlin' as a song, although maybe it's more rootsy than the theme I was going for with this.  I had been toying with Little Bird as well, which maybe would take a similar place that ASM holds, concept-wise.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 02:39:39 AM »

Funny when some fans (mostly you Mikey  Grin ) write how people make fun over the Beach Boys. There was just one similar moment for me when some cousins of a friend wondered and laughed about "All Alone".  Wink  Cousins ... .  Roll Eyes

BTW I couldn't do a BBs compilation about the '67 'til '73 era, because it would include at least 50 songs.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:42:46 AM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »

BTW I couldn't do a BBs compilation about the '67 'til '73 era, because it would include at least 50 songs.  Smiley
That's true.  I could have made several other tracklists with completely different that I'd imagine would work out to be great pieces of work as well.  This was the era that really got me into the Beach Boys past casual interest.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »

I did a compilation called THE BEACH BOYS: GOOD TIME, using the following conceit--

It's 1970 and the Beach Boys, for their first Warner Bros. album, have put Brian front and center again, so that--as per their contract with WB--all the tracks have been written or co-written by Brian.  Also, his voice is prominent on all or most of the tracks, just like in the glory days at Capitol.  Fortunately, Brian was fairly prolific during this time, so there's plenty of material to choose from.  Of course, we have to suspend disbelief and pretend that WB would not interfere with the choices and that they would not reject the album as assembled.  Anyway, the track list is as follows:

1. Soulful Old Man Sunshine
2. Add Some Music To Your Day
3. Good Time
4. This Whole World
5. Our Sweet Love
6. When Girls Get Together
7. I Just Got My Pay
8. Games Two Can Play
9. H.E.L.P. Is On The Way
10. All I Wanna Do
11. Cool, Cool Water

Anyone think I should add "Take A Load Off Your Feet"?  Would that qualify under my "ground rules?"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:07:43 AM by Glenn Greenberg » Logged

Glenn
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »

Looks pretty cool.  I haven't actually heard tracks 1 and 6 so I can't really say for sure on them, but I've nothing but good on the first one especially.  Actually Brian's vocals around that period are probably my favorite of his, even though apparently it was a little more difficult for him to sing by this time.  It just has such this appeal to it.  Take A Load Off Your Feet would make it an even 12, so I guess that's up to you.  I guess "Walkin'" would qualify as well if you care for that one at all.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 11:26:49 AM »

I don't really like "Walkin'," so I'd probably leave that one off.  Did Brian write that one?  Also, it sounds to me like Al is singing it.

Does anyone know offhand whether Brian is actually a credited co-writer of "Take A Load Off Your Feet"?  (If he is, I'd probably lean toward adding it to the list, presumably between "This Whole World" and "Our Sweet Love.")

Also--can anyone think of any OTHER songs that I'm leaving out that would fit in with this compilation?

Glenn
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »

Hmm, I was pretty sure Brian did lead on Walkin', unless I'm confusing it with one of the Back Home's of that time period.  Nevertheless you're looking for something you like so doesn't really make a difference.  Brian did get a credit on TALOYF.  I suppose if you're looking for others there's At My Window.  I like it but some people don't.  Brian's prominent vocally on the tag.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 01:14:50 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »

Looks like I'll be adding Take A Load Off Your Feet, then!  Thanks!

Glenn
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »

Er, no ones posted on this topic in nearly (or over) two years, but a recent thread ('getting one's friends into the Beach Boys') got me thinking about making a compilation for a friend to introduce them to the Beach Boys. I searched for a compilations thread and found this. I thought I'd post my introductory playlist that I think will get my friend a little more interested in The Beach Boys.

1) Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (vocal snippet) - from 'Pet Sounds Sessions'
2) Wonderful - Good Vibrations - 30 years of the Beach Boys
3) With Me Tonight - Smiley Smile
4) Summer Means New Love (mono) - Summer Days
5) You Still Believe In Me (mono) - Pet Sounds
6) Old Master Painter/You Are My Sunshine - BWPS
7) Cabinessence (track only) - Good Vibrations - 30 years of the Beach Boys
8 ) This Whole World - Sunflower
9) The Lord's Prayer (stereo) - Little Saint Nick single
10) Wouldn't It Be Nice - Still Cruisin'
11) Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (String Overdub) - from 'Pet Sounds Sessions'
12) Our Prayer - 20/20
13) Let's Go Away For Awhile (mono) - Pet Sounds
14) There's no Other (Like My Baby) - The Beach Boys Party!
15) Wake The World - Friends
16) That's Not Me (Stereo Backing Track) - from 'Pet Sounds Sessions'
17) Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring - Wild Honey/20/20 extras
18) Help Me Rhonda (Alternate Single Version) (mono) - US singles collection: the Capitol years
19) Cool, Cool Water - Sunflower

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx