gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680772 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:34:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why was Dennis left of Pet Sounds  (Read 8436 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »

Sorry in advance if this has been talked about in detail before, but after a search i can't seem to find a thread on it.

Anyway i have been wondering a lot about why dennis never got a lead on Pet Sounds, I read that Beach boys fans back in the day loved his voice, and it was a real treat when they heard him sing.

Has Brian ever given a reason, if here was one, and what did Dennis think, because he loved Pet Sounds, so it must of hurt
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:41:52 AM by The Baker Man » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:31:07 PM »

Although many people love the song (I don't), I've heard that Brian wasn't satisfied with Dennis's vocal on "In The Back of My Mind" and that due to that, Dennis was never even considered for a vocal on PS (and may be the truth behind him not singing on Summer Days, as opposed to the story about him being asleep or whatever).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »

I read somewhere, can't remember where - that he was supposed to sing "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", but didn't for some reason. I think it's the one you can imagine him singing the most. Also, wasn't it Denny and Carl who were slated for "Sloop John B." at first?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:17:11 PM »

Oh, I can NOT imagine him singing IJWMFTT..too high for his range. I can picture him on Sloop John B though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »

This isn't Pet Sounds, but Dennis was also supposed to sing lead on Good Vibrations.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »

This isn't Pet Sounds, but Dennis was also supposed to sing lead on Good Vibrations.

Where did you read that from? I'd love to hear an outtake of Denny giving it a try...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »

Your question implies that the Beach Boys was a democracy in 1966. Brian ran the show and up to 1967 sang a good 40-50% of the leads. Carl had only sang lead on a few tunes before Smiley Smile (though they were important ones), as had Al (he had to be coached thru Help Me Rhonda -he was so nervous) and Dennis too.  His absence from the Surfs Up album is a bigger surprise than the fact that he didn't get a lead in 1966.  as for IJWMFTT- that song is so personal and so Brian -and so perfectly sung by BW that I am thankful that Dennis didn't sing it-he could not have matched Brian. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:26:07 PM »

Where did you read that from? I'd love to hear an outtake of Denny giving it a try...

I don't remember where I read it. I don't think it got as far as him recording it, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »

I don't remember where I read it. I don't think it got as far as him recording it, though.

Badman, I believe.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »

Although many people love the song (I don't), I've heard that Brian wasn't satisfied with Dennis's vocal on "In The Back of My Mind" and that due to that, Dennis was never even considered for a vocal on PS (and may be the truth behind him not singing on Summer Days, as opposed to the story about him being asleep or whatever).

Can't be true because Dennis was featured on Party singing Hide Your Love Away. Brian also used him on Smile so I don't think he had anything against Dennis' voice. One last thing Dennis did try Sloop John B at one point but didn't make the cut.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »

I could imagine Dennis singing GV!! It may not be as melodically beautiful as Carl, but I think it would've had a bit more edge and soul.

But Brian was striving for perfection at that time more then emotive soul. I think that he wanted the soul and emotion to be in the production and arrangements.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »

With the exception of a few lines (some even buried), Dennis isn't on SMiLE either.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »

Well, only about half of the songs had vox recorded in 66/67, as far as we know.....so we don't know for sure the extent to which Denny's vocals would've been employed....maybe he would have sang lead on Surf's Up.... Roll Eyes
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »

With the exception of a few lines (some even buried), Dennis isn't on SMiLE either.
Dennis voice is definitely on many of the Smile tracks, way more than Pet Sounds where it only shows up on three, maybe four tracks. On Smile his voice is on the majority, not as a lead voice, but he's singing on most of the tracks that have group vocals.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »

Sorry, I should've clarified my post. I was referring to LEAD vocals. I thought it was understood that we were talking about lead vocals. I'm aware Dennis sang some background vocals on SMiLE.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:45:26 PM »

During a conversation, Mark Linett asked Al (Jardine, of course) if he knew anything about Dennis being slated to sing IJWMFTT.  Because there is documentation to suggest that he was considered, plus if you listen to the vocal overdub tracks on the appropriate UM SOT, it sounds as though Dennis may have even given it a go and then been recorded over.

Anyway, Al said that he didn't know anything about it, but he thought it was perfect for Dennis.  And then he genuinely looked sad, like he missed Dennis.  He then expressed some regret that Dennis didn't get to sing it.
Wilsonista
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 07:56:14 PM »

That's odd, because Boyd told Jeff Mason and myself that Al was absolutely certain that Dennis was supposed to sing IJWMFTT....

Or at least that's how I recalled it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 08:05:16 PM »

That's what happens after 40 or so years. Memories change.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 08:30:14 PM »

During a conversation, Mark Linett asked Al (Jardine, of course) if he knew anything about Dennis being slated to sing IJWMFTT.  Because there is documentation to suggest that he was considered, plus if you listen to the vocal overdub tracks on the appropriate UM SOT, it sounds as though Dennis may have even given it a go and then been recorded over.

Anyway, Al said that he didn't know anything about it, but he thought it was perfect for Dennis.  And then he genuinely looked sad, like he missed Dennis.  He then expressed some regret that Dennis didn't get to sing it.

I don't remember where I read this...maybe a Brian interview somewhere...but someone suggested to him that Denny singing IJWMFTT would have been cool, and apparently Brian lit up and whole-heartedly agreed.  Other than that I haven't heard anything about Denny singing it but I think it would have sounded fantastic.  Too bad there is no recording of him even attempting it like there is of him trying "Sloop John B".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 08:46:20 PM »

What about "You Are My Sunshine"?  Unless those are the few lines you're referring to...
MBE
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 10:02:11 PM »

I was refering to Cabinessence and Sunshine. They weren't major parts but it's more then Pet Sounds.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 03:15:23 AM »

In the liner notes to "Pet Sounds" it is mentioned that Dennis was supposed to sing "Here today", iirc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 09:00:39 AM »

I also remember reading somewhere that Dennis was supposed to sing Sail On Sailor.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »

Now THAT I've read. That would've been...different, but could've been cool.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »

Sorry, I should've clarified my post. I was referring to LEAD vocals. I thought it was understood that we were talking about lead vocals. I'm aware Dennis sang some background vocals on SMiLE.
Yeah i figured that's what you meant...but I wanted to point out that Dennis really was left out of the Pet Sounds sound, other than Sloop John B and Wouldn't It Be Nice, where his voice stands out pretty clearly...the rest of the LP seems to be nearly Dennis-less. On the other hand Smile is the opposite...Dennis is heard on most of the tracks. He seemed to be either in or out with Brian when it came to vocals, early on he sang a lot, more leads than Carl and Al, most backgrounds on the first three LP's he's there...not quite as much on the LDC new tracks and Shut Down...then on the All Summer Long LP his voice is everywhere, same with Today...those two are really filled with Dennis singing , but Summer Days and Pet Sounds he's hardly there...then Smile he's back, then Wild Honey he's gone again, Friends forward he's pretty regular till Surfs Up, Holland only a couple...15 BO he's all over it...Love you the same...MIU he's gone...Anybody see a pattern?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx