gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:57:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: how do you buy your music  (Read 9193 times)
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:26:49 AM »

hello everyone, hope you dont mind me asking about your buying habits.
im aware that i dont post here much, and this isnt some marketing emai.
just curious after to speaking to a friend.

how do you buy your music, especially you folks who are into old stuff?

internet, shops or downloading?
how important are shops to you nowadays, now you can get anything off the internet?
if you had a good little record shop that was local to you, would you support that over the internet?

personally i dont think you can beat browsing in a shop.
i really only use the internet when i cant find anything in my local shops.
if i could get stuff in shops, i'd support them.

david.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:06:01 AM »

Records: Record conventions, used stores (Ottawa seems to suck for this, though. Much better off going to Montreal or Toronto)
CDs: Local store, then Best Buy (cheap but bad selection), then chain stores. If it's too hard to find, I use Amazon.ca.

Watch out for snakes!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:12:32 AM »

For new records and CD's, I'll go to the local record shop. For old CD's, I'll see if they have it at the record store, if not I'll check Borders, and if not, I'll order it on ebay. For old records, I'll see if they have it at the record store, and, depending on the price I'll get it either there or on ebay (usually ebay).
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 07:55:24 AM »

I go wherever the price is best.  I have absolutely NO indie shops around my area anymore.  When I was in high school, there used to be about 8.  Now there is one and it is VERY expensive.  Unless it's something new or common that is at a Best Buy, I have to do my shopping online.  Something killed off those mom & pop stores.  It's a shame because a couple of them were outstanding.
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:10:12 AM »

I very rarely have any luck in the music shops here.  Seems like they consider 80's music retro, and you're lucky if you see 1 or 2 Beatles titles at the most.  In some stores, they don't even have a marker for The Beach Boys.  (I know... that's just WRONG!)

So most of the time I order my music from Amazon or Ebay.   Roll Eyes

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:34:33 AM »

New Records: Newbury Comics
Used Records: Various used record shops
CDs & DVD-Audio: Newbury Comics, CDUniverse.com, Tower Records
Digital Music Files: Musicmatch

In all honesty, this is how I buy music:

There's something I want.  OK, is it available in surround sound on DVD-Audio?  If not, is it available on vinyl?  If not, then I'll usually just buy the tracks off Musicmatch unless it's a band that I really truly love, in which case I'll buy the CD for the artwork and the liner notes, etc.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:41:57 AM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 11:53:01 AM »

CDs - Amazon or Borders
Vinyl - Anywhere that sells them, sometimes the internet, usually eBay
Digital - Rhapsody
Chris D.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 01:09:27 PM »

I go wherever the price is best.  I have absolutely NO indie shops around my area anymore.

That's what killed off your shops, dude.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 01:24:31 PM »

I get most of my CDs on Amazon. I also go to FYE whenever I'm in the mall, so if a CD there catches my eye I'll buy it there. Those are really the only two places I purchase CDs from, besides CDs an artist is selling only on their website.

I get most of my used vinyl from places like the Salvation Army; for new vinyl either Hot Topic or any random website I come across.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 03:01:02 PM »

Seeing as I live in London I do have the advantage of LOTS of record shops. Even so, buying stuff is not easy.

If its a CD that is popular and I REALLY want it then the chances are I will get it at my local Tesco's (UK supermarket chain) as they are 200 yards from where I live and sell new CD's for about £9.99.

If its an oldie then I have to work out if I am going into town soon (I live in the East End - about 10 miles from the centre of London) - If I am then I will try the independent shops in Berwick St which have a fantastic range of stuff, or if HMV or Virgin are having a sale (i.e. nearly all the time) I'll see what is going cheap this week.

If there is a pretty obscure new album coming out - lets say 29 by Ryan Adams - and I am going nowhere soon, then I'll order it from Play.com or Amazon if I'm looking at books as well.

I am currently musing about the Band box set having failed to get it at HMV when I had a voucher - its now back in but £10 dearer at £64. Amazon are doing it for £49 so I wil probably get it there unless I decide I want a DVD recorder instead (just had a birthday....)

Also use CD-WOW for CD's and DVD's (useful for region 1) - Play.Com also for Region 1 DVD's. Also Second-Spin.com for used CD's and DVD's from the US.

I also monitor the likes of Woolworths who are always flogging stuff off cheap!

Then there are always charity shops.....
Chris D.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 04:38:57 PM »

I don't know, I think it's pretty nice when Ian posts mp3s for us.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »

Now THAT was funny.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 04:44:37 PM »

I hoped that would move you.
Campion Bond
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 06:48:30 AM »

Mostly new cd's that are not too obscure I get from play.com simply because £8.99 and free delivery you can't beat.
I use Amazon for more obscure stuff and on their Amazon marketplace you can get some real bargains.
I never buy downloads because in the UK they are too overpriced. Why pay almost as much as a CD for a 128kps rip with no artwork?
The only time I'd buy a download is if it's a b-side to a single not on an album or an exclusive track.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

I would prefer to buy from a nice indie shop but there are no GOOD ones in my neighborhood.  When I travel I seek them out for vinyl and good used CDs, usually spending TOO much money.  Sometimes I purchase at Estate Sales (good for finding nice Sinatra albums) or at yard sales or flea markets.

Otherwise, I rely on friends and family to provide me with some of their recommended music.

Sometimes I'll buy a few CDs from BMG.  And fairly often I buy at the mall....Borders, or at Circuit City or Best Buy.

I've yet to purchase from an individual over the internet.  Although I am considering this to complete my BeachBoys Vinyl collection.
harmolodic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 01:00:23 PM »

New Records: Newbury Comics

I've got more choices for music stores in the Bay Area than I had in New England, but I still miss Newbury Comics!

These days I generally wait until I've acquired a decent stack of freebies I don't care to own anymore, then I trade 'em in for credit.
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »

Gotta say  I support  easy street records.. Seattle Washington

Insound....

Virgin Megstore
Chris D.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »

Gotta say  I support  easy street records.. Seattle Washington

Ever go to Olympia?  Not many great stores, really.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 11:05:06 AM »

i usually shop newbury comics for used , because their used stuff is spotless....in Cambridge MA. i shop at Cheapo records ..AWESOME Funk, Soul and jazz selection Best in Boston area!!!!!. also Planet records in haravrd Sq. except most of their used are promo's /cut out's.
Online ....DUSTYGROOVE.Com ..........the best !!!
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 12:57:30 PM »

oh yeah  been to Oylimpia many times... Never looked at the record stores there tho.......

xoxo
suga
Maybelline
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 01:00:28 PM »

Seeing as I live in London I do have the advantage of LOTS of record shops. Even so, buying stuff is not easy.

If its a CD that is popular and I REALLY want it then the chances are I will get it at my local Tesco's (UK supermarket chain) as they are 200 yards from where I live and sell new CD's for about £9.99.

If its an oldie then I have to work out if I am going into town soon (I live in the East End - about 10 miles from the centre of London) - If I am then I will try the independent shops in Berwick St which have a fantastic range of stuff, or if HMV or Virgin are having a sale (i.e. nearly all the time) I'll see what is going cheap this week.

If there is a pretty obscure new album coming out - lets say 29 by Ryan Adams - and I am going nowhere soon, then I'll order it from Play.com or Amazon if I'm looking at books as well.

I am currently musing about the Band box set having failed to get it at HMV when I had a voucher - its now back in but £10 dearer at £64. Amazon are doing it for £49 so I wil probably get it there unless I decide I want a DVD recorder instead (just had a birthday....)

Also use CD-WOW for CD's and DVD's (useful for region 1) - Play.Com also for Region 1 DVD's. Also Second-Spin.com for used CD's and DVD's from the US.

I also monitor the likes of Woolworths who are always flogging stuff off cheap!

Alan, ever been to Fopp? Excellent prices, loads and loads of classics for a fiver (used to work there).
Chris D.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »

Heh heh...there's a British music store called Fopp.

Alan, if you're ever over here (US), Fagg has some great deals, too.
Maybelline
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »

Yeah but does it sell records?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 01:35:18 PM »

Heh heh...there's a British music store called Fopp.

Alan, if you're ever over here (US), Fagg has some great deals, too.

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tons of Faggy bargains!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 01:38:28 PM »

Yeah but does it sell records?

No, but I've broken a few.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx