gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:58:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favorite Beach Boys soundalike group?  (Read 18060 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »

Listen to  'My World Fell Down' by Sagitarius, it's very good and BB like!

I believe this was the track that started Brian thinking that someone was listening to his SMiLE sessions and ripping him off! Given that Bruce is a featured vocalist on the song, that may have been the case.

makes sense, pretty smile-esque stuff, the my world fell down 45, not so much fun & sun though...

if you're into that, all the curt boettcher/gary usher sunshine stuff is interesting (and Awesome):
ballroom
millennium
tommy roe (winters day/phantasy)
along comes the association
eternity's children
friar tuck, etc, etc...

fun & games is a good one too! and then there are the sunshine 45s, but it takes too long to get into those...

SG7
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »

Dang, the Panda Bear song "Bros" really IS BB influenced and very cool at the same time. Reminds me of Terry Riley's "In C" also. Very neat  Smiley
jprof
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »

The Ruby Suns from Australia are great. Not exactly BB-sound but heavily influenced.

If you especially go for harmony vocals and doowop, try

live,

or this a capella recording from the early 70s. They sounded even better then in the 60s!

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »

Bob Hanes turned me onto The Tokes' album INTERCOURSE. It's really great and everybody should give it a listen.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »

I meant The Tokens' album INTERCOURSE.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 08:51:39 AM »

Listen to  'My World Fell Down' by Sagitarius, it's very good and BB like!

The two singles from the "Present Tense" album, "My World Fell Down" and "Another Time", are both amazing... But IMO, the rest of the album is pretty weak...
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »

the dukes of the stratosphear doing 'pale and precious'.

and possibly the ink spots, as valuable archaeology.

cheating, i know...
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 06:03:19 AM »

The Manic Street Preachers, "So Why So Sad", even the video was shot on the beach, how's that?:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hSMklt5i614
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:04:39 AM by 8080 » Logged
Mac the Hat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 05:23:07 AM »

A few others, that spring to mind

Gorkys Zygotic Mynci - Diamond Dew. It's like Smiley Smile in 3 minutes!

Euros Childs - Bore Da (the last third) is a pure Brian Wilson tag

Jim Noir - I can't See. Wouldn't be out of place on Sunflower

I love my Carl, I love my Brian, my Dennis and my Al. I could even find it in my heart to love Mike Love

(Belle and Sebastian)
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 04:51:29 AM »

"Awake in a Dream" by The Giant Jellybean Copout (7" Poppy 504 ca. 1968). Great Good Vibrations stuff, written and produced by ex-Critters Jim Ryan (check out The Critters' later albums on Enoch Powell's  Project 3 label - some godd stuff on there as well - although hard to find and very pricey now.

Watson, did you hear this?
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »

REM's "At My Most Beautiful" is a fantastic Pet Sounds/Smile era influenced song.  It even mentions  the word smile.
exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »

Mark Eric Malborg's Mid Summer's Day Dream album is pretty great. I also like Pete Townshend's attempt at a Smiley Smile vibe with Goin' Fishing from Scoop
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »

I meant The Tokens' album INTERCOURSE.

Possibily my favorite album, ever.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »

Panda Bear's song "Bros" (as in brothers, not the 80s boy band) sounds like Phil Spector trying to imitate Brian Wilson. The best song of 2007 by a mile.

Absolutely.  Person Pitch as a whole is a great, great album but Bros is positively transcendent.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »

Panda Bear, like others said. Person Pitch is like his Pet Sounds. Not saying that it sounds much like good old Pet Sounds, but it's a similar achievement. The Fleet Foxes sound a lot like the Beach Boys at times, but more folksy. Kind of like an amalgamation of Brian's work in the late 60s (especially if you include DIY music like "Leaves of Grass", or songs like "Old Man River").  Of course, I hear a lot of CSYN in their music, too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »

Wings
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »

The Brian Wilson Band... or did somebody already make that joke?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 12:44:13 AM »

What about The Raspberries or some of Elton John. Especially on the BLUE MOVES album.  Even when Eric Carmen left the Raspberries, some of his solo stuff sounds like the Beach Boys. 

Cool Guy

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 01:17:16 AM »

Yeah, Elton even said that in the early 70s, when he couldn't find a musical direction, he was inspired by the release of Carl & the Passions. Strange, since that has always been considered a mediocre BB album by most, be he said it.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 03:34:07 AM »

The Welsh band Super Furry Animals have been known to cite the 'Surfs Up' lp as their favorite album, and have a bunch of songs where they sound just like the songs from the period. I recommend them.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2009, 03:49:12 AM »

The Welsh band Super Furry Animals have been known to cite the 'Surfs Up' lp as their favorite album, and have a bunch of songs where they sound just like the songs from the period. I recommend them.

They once compiled a CD with the songs that influenced them most, it included "Lady" and one of Carl's BB songs, 'Feel Flows' I believe. I love SFA's 'Hey Venus!' album. I can definately hear the post-Smile BB influences there.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 07:28:28 AM »

The Happenings have an early Beach Boys sound, with harmonies and falsetto.  "I Got Rhythm", "Go Away Little Girl", "See You in September", etc.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 07:46:13 AM »

Explorers Club indeed...verging on plagiarism, but enjoyable.
A couple that haven't been mentioned: Not sure how you'd find this one--I don't think it ever even came out on CD, but an early Rhino Records LP by a group called The Toons is full of great 6-part harmonies and a very BB-ish song called "Looking at Girls."
Two albums, available on iTunes, by the Vinyl Kings, a group of Nashville session cats. The first record, A Little Trip, is a total Beatles homage that many have said actually sounds like a lost Beatles album. Their second album, Time Machine, also has a lot of Fab Four influence, but has several cuts that echo Smile-era BB records. Listen to the song called "Sycamore Bay," which includes a perfect Mike Love impression, a very Carl-esque vocal, and a coda that is so sublime it has become my ringtone. There's not a bad cut on these two albums.
Finally, Roger Joseph Manning, Jr., formerly of Jellyfish, is making awesomely-produced pop records that should have a much wider audience. His first solo album, The Land of Pure Imagination, has two GREAT songs on it: 'In the Name of Romance' and 'Wish It Would Rain.' You should own these two songs! His voice is very Bruce-like and there's a lot of Disney Girls in these two, with incredible backing vocals. His newest album, Catnip Dynamite, is more consistent and I'm enjoying it a lot.
Also worth a look: listen to a sample of "Would You Call It Love?" by Big Kid. I only have one of their three albums, but it's tasty stuff. And June & the Exit Wounds have a stripped-down BBs vibe which is nice, too.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »

What songs do you have in mind? I have a lot of SFA mp3s that I downloaded after my Welsh teacher played us "Y Teimlad", which has a great Beach Boys-esque chorus but I haven't got around to listen to them yet.

Also, the band Grand Drive sounds like TBB from time to time, perhaps most on their 2000 album True Love And High Adventure. Besides, they have two brothers named Wilson singing!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »

A couple that haven't been mentioned: Not sure how you'd find this one--I don't think it ever even came out on CD, but an early Rhino Records LP by a group called The Toons is full of great 6-part harmonies and a very BB-ish song called "Looking at Girls."
Finally, Roger Joseph Manning, Jr., formerly of Jellyfish, is making awesomely-produced pop records that should have a much wider audience. His first solo album, The Land of Pure Imagination, has two GREAT songs on it: 'In the Name of Romance' and 'Wish It Would Rain.' You should own these two songs! His voice is very Bruce-like and there's a lot of Disney Girls in these two, with incredible backing vocals. His newest album, Catnip Dynamite, is more consistent and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Yeah, The Toons' album is excellent.  Actually, it was available on CD online directly from group leader John Milne some years ago, but apparently is no longer.  One of the power pop blogs, "Power Pop Criminals" has it posted at 320 kbps; for anyone who wants to hear it you can find it at http://powerpopcriminals.blogspot.com/2007/08/toons-looking-at-girls-1982-there-was.html.  Definitely worth any BB fan's time and effort, plus the album is dedicated to Brian Wilson!
They also issued the LP track "Video Games" as a 45 the following year on a small San Francisco Label called Megatone Records; the B-side, which sounds even more BB-ish than anything on the album, is called "Japanese Kids" and is exclusive to this single.

And there's actually three GREAT songs on Roger Manning, Jr's first album.  The original Japanese issue, which preceded the US issue and was called SOLID STATE WARRIOR, has a very Left Banke-ish song called "What You Don't Know About The Girl" that's irresistably catchy.  It eventually DID come out in the US on the INTERNATIONAL POP OVERTHROW VOLUME 9 compilation CD on Not Lame Records, and it's still available on the Not Lame website (www.notlame.com) for $12.00 (great price for a 3 CD set), plus it also features "Fly" by The Skies of America, which is Rob Bonfiglio, and "Popsound" by Nushu, a duo featuring Lisa Mychols whose "Lost Winter's Dream" album was produced by Darian and Nick (they also cowrote some songs and played on it as well).

And I"m surprised to see that no one has mentioned The Malibus, whose two CD's - 2007's KEEP AN EYE ON THE MALIBUS and 2008's NOW! - are pure 60's BB-influenced all the way.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx