gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:48:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 3855 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:31:40 PM »

I'm listening to In Concert, specifically Let the Wind Blow. The band was so AWESOME during this era. Why, WHY did they have to revert to a fun-in-the-sun oldies band?! Even the oldies on In Concert sounded fresh. Ughh... why didn't more people buy Holland? If the Beach Boys had to be stuck trying to recapture old glories the rest of their lives, why couldn't it have been 1972 instead of 1965 that they were trying to emulate? Don't get me wrong, I love the 60s stuff, but man, the Blondie/Ricky band was SO MUCH cooler.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »

Here's why.

In Concert LP (1973)- sold moderately well.

Endless Summer LP (1974)- the biggest selling Beach Boys record up until that point.

Simple as that.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:48:09 PM »

I'm listening to In Concert, specifically Let the Wind Blow. The band was so AWESOME during this era. Why, WHY did they have to revert to a fun-in-the-sun oldies band?! Even the oldies on In Concert sounded fresh. Ughh... why didn't more people buy Holland? If the Beach Boys had to be stuck trying to recapture old glories the rest of their lives, why couldn't it have been 1972 instead of 1965 that they were trying to emulate? Don't get me wrong, I love the 60s stuff, but man, the Blondie/Ricky band was SO MUCH cooler.

$$$$$$....!!!!!!......Endless Summer for one, and Jack Reilley was no longer around to contribute those kick a$$ lyrics, and Denny was not allowing himself and not allowed to be taken seriously musically speaking....besides, Mike Love was stylin' in that gold vest and turbin singing Cali Girls....damn he was smooth....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:54:54 PM by noname » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »

Yeah, yeah, I know the reasons. I know about Endless Summer, and, to a lesser extent, Kokomo. That doesn't mean I can't lament it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 12:03:02 AM »

It's a damn shame to me. To me, that period was my favorite.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »

We think of 68-73 as a golden and intriguing journey for the Beach Boys, but those guys were busting their asses in the studio and on stage, for a return that wasn't that great. I've read that Brian - the guy who still earned the doughs for the oldies - had to loan money to band members. Given the circumstances, the gravy train was passing, maybe for the last time, and everyone jumped in.

I think the first misstep wasn't 15 Big Ones, but the failed Caribou album. The 'democracy in the studio' formula was over, and they started to think about a Plan B: "Brian's Back"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:37:39 AM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 12:21:39 AM »

Endless Summer happened....it was an easy way out.....but you all know anyway about Sunflower, Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland, how they freaking rule....given another 2 or 3 years esp. if Jack R. was still around....who knows....I mean even Mike's contributions were hip (exc SDT)...

but, I don't care to endeavor in any speculation about what may have been....maybe those kick a$$ years you speak of Aegir wouldn't mean so much if they continued down that path... we got Love You, right??? and all the other albums stated above.... but we also have MIU and everything after...so I see yer point...
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:46:16 AM »

Never mind what may have been.... Maybe that crazy move to the Netherlands made possible one last "group album", which wouldn't have happened if they had stayed in LA and the proceedings were as scattered as during C&tP. Yeah I know, speculations...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:49:15 AM »

I think the first misstep wasn't 15 Big Ones, but the failed Caribou album.
  VERY good point. What little has leaked out from that bears that point. Brian was getting into the "oldies" sound already, and the progressive sound from the by-then ended democracy was gone forever. Ricky & Blondie, despite being maligned by a segment of BB fans, were key to them having that heavier rock sound in concert. They could've been a staple of classic rock radio had they stayed on that path.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 02:17:29 AM »

In the early 70s, the BBs started turning 30. With it came wives, kids, bills to pay. I guess as mentioned it beccame a matter of the money,
MBE
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 03:11:37 AM »

At least Good Timin and Hard Times to name two have a great Brian production and the last really prime harmonies the band ever did. Battle Hymn is a pointer to sad things to come but I contend that part of the reason the Beach Boys weren't ever as good after 1973 was the loss of Dennis and Brian's voices.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:36:13 PM by MBE » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 06:24:50 AM »

I contend that part of the reason the Beach Boys weren't ever as good after 1973 was the loss of Dennis and Brian's voices.

that and the fact no one was writing songs for the group that were worth a damn anymore. a song or two here and there but not for whole lp's. and longterm guidance, that was just free falling all over the place, they just wouldn't listen to any.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 07:46:37 AM »

Because Mike and Al wanted it. Simple as that. They wanted Brian Wilson in full control again, against Dennis and Carl wishes. Carl hated 15 Big Ones ans assured this in a interview. Dennis hated too.
Carl and Dennis wanted the So Tough/Holland type of sound and direction, but Mike and Al no.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »

Because Mike and Al wanted it. Simple as that. They wanted Brian Wilson in full control again, against Dennis and Carl wishes. Carl hated 15 Big Ones ans assured this in a interview. Dennis hated too.
Carl and Dennis wanted the So Tough/Holland type of sound and direction, but Mike and Al no.
No more Jack Reiley to provide those wordy but great lyrics. Carl wasn't really writing much songs anymore-was going through his divorce so focus was elsewhere, no more badass Blondie and Ricky jams, Dennis was keeping his songs for himself, Mike and Al were getting into crappy lite-rock and oldies style songs, and Brian just didn't have it in him anymore (save for about half of Love You and most of Adult Child). Plus add Bruce back to the fold and we've got his "cheesy listening" back but without the stronger tracks provided by the other boys to help balance it out. Then Dennis drowns (suicide?Huh), Brian gets "Landy-fied", Al jumps ship for the Wilsons but is quite a few years too late to really make a difference, and Carl is working overtime just to keep Al and the Lovester from killing each other, too busy to keep Mike from controlling the setlist and ruining whatever credibility they had left, all the while Bruce is sucking up to Mike and going along with every stupid idea the Lovester comes up with.

Then from almost nowhere Brian makes his big comeback and slowly but surely (but probably not intentionally, as he does a lot of things at the wishes of others these days) builds back up the credibility of the Beach Boys name that Mike tarnished with things like TM, Celebration's Almost Summer, Hawaiian Shirts, Kokomo, Cheerleaders, Car Medleys, the term "America's Band", Summer In Paradise, etc. Though it could be argued that even when the Beach Boys were considered to be "squares", "passe", "an afterthought", "cheesy", etc., that Brian and maybe even Dennis were still considered to be "credible", "hip", "taken seriously", and all that good stuff. Its easy to blame Carl for going along with Mike in the 80s and 90s, but I don't blame him, being a "peaceful" type, for not wanting to piss off that asshole.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »

Brian in full control again only happened in the beginning of 1976. If Carl and Dennis wanted to keep that sound and direction, they dropped the ball big time when a new album wasn't released in 1974 or 1975. How about asking Carl why 'Good Timin' and 'Angel Come Home' took years to be finished for the LA album? 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »

If Carl and Dennis wanted to keep that sound and direction, they dropped the ball big time when a new album wasn't released in 1974 or 1975. How about asking Carl why 'Good Timin' and 'Angel Come Home' took years to be finished for the LA album? 

THANK you.  I loved Carl as much as the next guy, but he slacked off big time. Instead of bitching about how much he hated things, he could've done something about it. You know, he, Dennis, Blondie, and Ricky outnumbered Mike & Al. They could've coerced Brian to side with them, or at least not against them. The only reason why Al sided with Mike was because of the drug issue. If they really wanted to Mike could've been forced out.

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 05:14:29 PM »

Could someone please define the term "furo do burro"?  Or is that just one of this board's auto-substitutes for a four letter word, as it when someone types in the word sh*t, it shows up as merda?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »

Could someone please define the term "furo do burro"?  Or is that just one of this board's auto-substitutes for a four letter word, as it when someone types in the word sh*t, it shows up as merda?

Its the board's automatic substitute for a**hole.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

I blame them all really. Brian and Dennis began to care more about getting messed up then the group, Carl got lazy, Mike both put forward the oldies but also (in the case of First Love) was holding his best stuff for solo work, something also done by Brian and Dennis.  Al seemed content at the time to do retro sounding things and a lot of oldies. Bruce's songs didn't have the benefit of good Beach Boys (especially Brian) harmony to save them.  Everybody played a part in what happened. Yet at the same time they all did try to help the group at various points. Carl left to wake them up, Brian began doing forward looking pieces like the big band sessions, Mike had Charles Lloyd doing a creative 3 song segement of the show, Al stayed professinal and wrote contemprary songs like Santa Anna Winds, Dennis contributed a lot to L.A. Light, even Bruce's two albums weren't great but he was at least able to get some cooperation from everyone. Basically the problem was no one sustained their efforts.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »

As good as Carl was as the band leader from 71-73, I think it would've been great if they would've followed Dennis' lead from 74-76. POB with more of a group effort would've been an excellent follow up to Holland. Although, I know group politics played a huge roll in that never happening. Even though I think Dennis would'v been very capable to do so in that time period.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx