gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:07:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiley Smile
5 - 104 (47.1%)
4 - 53 (24%)
3 - 38 (17.2%)
2 - 16 (7.2%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 5 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile  (Read 230543 times)
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: May 28, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »

I'm conflicted whether I prefer the stereo or mono version, because the stereo version is fantastic and really opens the songs up, but on the other hand it kinda gets rid of the low-fi charm of the mono version.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 06, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »

I only rated it a 4 because Pet Sounds is a 5. So 4 in this case would be a classic. Pet Sounds is beyond classic for me.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
The Loud Braggart
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 03, 2017, 11:51:59 PM »

Can someone please quote the one message where a user listened to Fire (Mr. O'Leary's Cow) in her car when it started raining and the song seemed the go on an eternity? I like to read that one but I can't find it anymore in the pile of replies on this topic.
EDIT: It was on the SMiLE topic, sorry.
EDIT: I can't find it on BWPS either. Sad
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 12:00:58 AM by The Loud Braggart » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 04, 2017, 05:30:50 AM »

Can someone please quote the one message where a user listened to Fire (Mr. O'Leary's Cow) in her car when it started raining and the song seemed the go on an eternity? I like to read that one but I can't find it anymore in the pile of replies on this topic.
EDIT: It was on the SMiLE topic, sorry.
EDIT: I can't find it on BWPS either. Sad

It's way back in the BWPS topic. Aegir posted it on January 3, 2006: 

One of the first times I was listening to SMiLE, I was driving in heavy pouring rain. My destination was far off, however, I was feeling pretty confident I would get there safely and without any problems... until Mrs. O'Leary's Cow came on! The sirens, the moaning, the feeling of imminent danger! It seemed so long during that listen; I thought it would never end! I wanted to scream!

Just as I was pulling into the driveway, it ended. The ensuing sounds of the opening of In Blue Hawaii comforted me. After "Feel like I was really in the pink", I put my car into park, took out the keys, and walked inside.

5/5 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,35.msg3495.html#msg3495
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:40:22 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
lordshoggoth
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 09, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »

This record made zero sense to me until I took a nap during the day while listening to it. Drifting in and out of sleep at different parts of the album feels like the way it was meant to be heard. Now it's in the top 5 for sure, even Gettin' Hungry which I have a strange affection for, and Woody Woodpecker which manages to take the already terrifying Mrs. O'Leary's Cow and make it even more spooky.

Couldn't hit a curveball for beans
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx