gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:19:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Recording: "Determined"  (Read 4369 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:49:14 PM »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ys1qf1

This is a song I wrote and recorded in early 2001, and recorded as a demo again last year. But I recorded this entire version this afternoon and tonight. I know it needs a better mix. I'd like to know what you think about "Determined."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »

It's very nice, lovely lilting guitar textures, kind of reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it, something from the 80s perhaps?! Though there's not a lot of good acoustic guitar music from the 80s (comparitively!)
I like the synthesised sort of backing vocals that come in not long before the end - nice touch!!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »

I like the synthesised sort of backing vocals that come in not long before the end - nice touch!!

It's four voices, each sung into two mics as to make a single stereo track apiece. Then I bussed them to a single stereo track and added some reverb and flanging (so pay no attention to my vitriol toward flanging of the 70s in the Rockin... board a while back!). Presto. Those same voices (three of them) are in the "mmm" background vocals in a couple of earlier spots, but much quieter, and with all the commotion, it's harder to make out the effects at those points.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:39:49 AM »

That's a good trick, I might try that. I don't do much flanging, i'm not sure if I know what it entails!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »

That's a good trick, I might try that. I don't do much flanging, i'm not sure if I know what it entails!

This might be the sort of thing Mark L. could describe, but my understanding of the original effect, as I've heard it described by people like Eddie Kramer, Eric Clapton and Macca and Harrison, was that you'd have two reels of tape with basically the same music on it (I am not sure if they were identical, or a L and R, or what) and rhythmically slightly press one of the two as the tape went by, thus altering the speed (and pitch) very slightly on half. The result is like a chorus effect, sort of.

Obviously, that's not how I did it. I selected "Flanger" from a drop-down menu and set the parameters!

TonyHunter
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »

Hey Luther, I listened to your song "Growin' a moustache" on myspace and just wanted to say that I really really like the harmony during the superhero part.

-Tony

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »

thx

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »

I have posted a slightly revised version (auxiliary percussion, remixed) of this song, "Determined," at:

myspace.com/thebeaumondes

Stop by, listen, comment, enjoy, throw tomatoes, whatever.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx