gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:16:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Wall" and The Beach Boys  (Read 10601 times)
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »

Just listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall this afternoon. I was thinking about how it would have sounded if the BB's would have accepted the offer to do some (if not all) of the backing vocals.  I know Bruce sang on one song, but if I'm not mistaken I could have sworn that they were all offered a chance to perform on the album. I think it would have sounded excellent, especially if Brian was at least in his MIU vocal range..rather than his Love You range.

What the hell happened?  I think they had a BB album deadline to meet at the time (LA Album). 

Anyhow, I think it would have been pretty cool for the group at the time seeing as how successful the album was and how "cool" Pink Floyd was compared to the BB's.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:10:46 PM »

"Originally, Waters had wanted to offset the heaviness of the song with some light Beach Boys- style harmonies, and actually booked the Beach Boys. Mike Love decided that Waters' themes didn't fit with their wholesome (ahem) image, and declined. Beach Boy Bruce Johnston however, did agree, and, along with session singers, managed to recreate the Beach Boys sound." Another Brick in the Wall: The Stories Behind Every Pink Floyd Song Cliff Jones, page 133. Written about the song The Show Must Go On.

A little insight from a book I have on the Floyd. For the songs  The Show Must Go On and Waiting For the Worms Bruce Johnston, Toni Tenille, John Joyce, Joe Chemay, Stan Farber, and Jim Haas are credited with backing vocals.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:27:03 PM by noname » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11:55 PM »

I wonder why Carl didn't sing on it. I would think that it would be right up his ally! Suprising that Bruce, of all people, would agree!

I bet that if Pink Floyd asked them to sing on Dark Side of the Moon in 1973, they (including Mike) would've done that.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »

The session was scheduled for 10/2/79, at Sundance Productions starting at noon but it was canceled that morning, reportedly by the BB once they learned of the themes of the LP. Bruce and pals (including Toni Tennille) did the job about a week later.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »

The session was scheduled for 10/2/79, at Sundance Productions starting at noon but it was canceled that morning, reportedly by the BB once they learned of the themes of the LP. Bruce and pals (including Toni Tennille) did the job about a week later.

That was cutting it pretty close considering the album was released on 11/30/79!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »

I heard from a very reliable source that they cancelled at the last minute because Brian became intimidated when he heard the title -- he assumed it was a tribute to Phil Spector's WALL of Sound...   Afro

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:35:11 PM »

Just recently getting into The Wall, is The Show Must Go On the only track to have Bruce on backing vocals?

BTW, on the subject of PF and BB...I was thinking if there was a correlation between Wish You Were Here's photos of the four 'elements' and the 'elements' on Smile...coincidence and/or just Brian being ahead of his time?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »

I always thought that Bruce and the others sang on WAITING FOR THE WORMS. But then again I could be wrong.  Smokin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 08:55:01 PM »

I thought it was "Take Up My Stethoscope and Walk"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »

I always thought that Bruce and the others sang on WAITING FOR THE WORMS. But then again I could be wrong.  Smokin
I'm sorry, I misread, yeah, it was Waiting for the Worms

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:57:08 AM »

Just recently getting into The Wall, is The Show Must Go On the only track to have Bruce on backing vocals?

BTW, on the subject of PF and BB...I was thinking if there was a correlation between Wish You Were Here's photos of the four 'elements' and the 'elements' on Smile...coincidence and/or just Brian being ahead of his time?

I think God was ahead of the times when he created them.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:25 AM »

I think God was ahead of the times when he created them.

More likely they just evolved to the point where Brian took control.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »

Wasn't the Cliff Jones Pink Floyd book withdrawn when the author was sued by David Gilmour due to inaccuracies in the musicians' credits on numerous songs ? AGD has confirmed Bruce's connection to The Wall, but maybe the rest of the book should be taken with a pinch of salt. It's certainly unavailable in the UK.
According to the Wikipedia entry, though, an amended edition can be purchased in the USA and Canada, have these issues been addressed in this edition ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Jones_(musician)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:11 AM »

Wasn't the Cliff Jones Pink Floyd book withdrawn when the author was sued by David Gilmour due to inaccuracies in the musicians' credits on numerous songs ? AGD has confirmed Bruce's connection to The Wall, but maybe the rest of the book should be taken with a pinch of salt. It's certainly unavailable in the UK.
According to the Wikipedia entry, though, an amended edition can be purchased in the USA and Canada, have these issues been addressed in this edition ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Jones_(musician)

He ignored the golden rule: when writing about living musicians, make damn sure you get your facts straight, or have a very good lawyer.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »

Is there any actual evidence that it was all Mike Mike and Mike who pulled the plug on this?

That sounds like too convenient of a "fact" to me.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:32 PM »

"Originally, Waters had wanted to offset the heaviness of the song with some light Beach Boys- style harmonies, and actually booked the Beach Boys. Mike Love decided that Waters' themes didn't fit with their wholesome (ahem) image, and declined. Beach Boy Bruce Johnston however, did agree, and, along with session singers, managed to recreate the Beach Boys sound." Another Brick in the Wall: The Stories Behind Every Pink Floyd Song Cliff Jones, page 133. Written about the song The Show Must Go On.

A little insight from a book I have on the Floyd. For the songs  The Show Must Go On and Waiting For the Worms Bruce Johnston, Toni Tenille, John Joyce, Joe Chemay, Stan Farber, and Jim Haas are credited with backing vocals.
Well folks there he goes again with declining the good stuff!  Thud
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »

Is there any actual evidence that it was all Mike Mike and Mike who pulled the plug on this?

That sounds like too convenient of a "fact" to me.

None at all - all we know is the session was booked for noon-5pm on October 2nd 1979 at Sundance Productions in LA, and the BB cancelled that morning. All Roger's ever said (in public) was that "They went off to do their own album".

BTW, the session was only for "The Show Must Go On".
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:23:35 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »

I doubt the egos of Mike Love and Roger Waters could be contained in the same room together.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »

I doubt the egos of Mike Love and Roger Waters could be contained in the same room together.
[/quote) w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 04:13:24 AM »

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Ah, here goes anyway. I was just wondering, how "wholesome" the BB's image was at the time? Their leader was a self-confessed mental case and drug addict. Their drummer was a raging alcoholic. Their guitarist had quite recently performed in an inebriated state. Lead singer was married for the 27th time. Second guitarist threw away respectable career as a dentist to become a rocker. What was left of their wholesomeness at this point, or were some of the un-wholesome aspects of the band kept from the public at this point? I know Brian's problems were well known, and with Dennis... Just look at him. Just thinking.

I know, maybe they shyed away because of the dark psychological and political themes, but still... Wasn't it a bit too late in the game to worry about wholesomeness?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 05:29:28 AM »

There's a story about Toni Tenille going to see a Floyd show and a trendier than thou fan turning to her asking her what on earth was someone like her doing there - then she explained she actually sang on the album!

Honk! Honk!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 05:33:57 AM »

"I know, maybe they shyed away because of the dark psychological and political themes, but still... Wasn't it a bit too late in the game to worry about wholesomeness?"

Seems odd that Mr Positivity wouldn't but his sidekick, Mr Conservative, would.  Maybe we're looking too deep here. Maybe they just couldn't be arsed.  BRian wasn't in a fit state to record with his own band, never mind anyone else's.

Honk! Honk!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 07:29:54 AM »

let's also keep in mind that that "wholesomeness" theory is not from a credible source.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »

There's more about it in the Pink Floyd FAQ book, which is an amazing read!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx