gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:20:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: missing smile lyrics  (Read 3320 times)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »

did brian or the beach boys ever record lyrics for look, holidays, do you like worms or any song that has missing lyrics? and also the 2004 version did van dyke wrote new lyrics or are those the same from 66-67 era i Know do you like worms always had the "waving from the ocean liners lyric"
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »

As for vintage recorded lyrics, nobody really knows, although it is always possible that some vocals were wiped from those tracks.  I do recall that there were 2 vocal sessions for "Look", but obviously no vocals are known to actually exist, so who knows.

I'm not really sure about when the lyrics for some of those songs were written...obviously like you said, the "Worms' lyrics are vintage.  We can always speculate about the others, but I would guess that they are all at least partially new. 
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »

thanks it would be interesting and great if someone finds some lyrics and what exactly is the beach boys vaults? I read on my 2fer booklets is that a room in capital records the keeps all of the recorded tape reels?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:18:13 PM »

Not exactly.  The Beach Boys own all of their unreleased material, Capitol obviously has some control over the released catalog.  But the Beach Boys have custodianship of just about all their recorded material, and it's certainly not housed in Capitol records.  Most long-term tape storage in Hollywood is at independent storage facilities that specialize in organizing and storing media in the proper environment.

Everything Smile has been gone over pretty well.  Nothing new is going to be found from Smile unless somebody comes forward with something from a private collection that eluded archiving.  So barring a miracle, we're not going to find "missing" vocals.  I'm not quite sure I get you...but I think you're using lyrics as a synonym for vocals.  If not, it's not likely there are any undiscovered written lyric sheets out there.  Van Dyke certainly would have consulted them for the 2004 project if there were.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »

did brian or the beach boys ever record lyrics for look, holidays, do you like worms or any song that has missing lyrics? and also the 2004 version did van dyke wrote new lyrics or are those the same from 66-67 era i Know do you like worms always had the "waving from the ocean liners lyric"

As far as I know the only "missing" lyrics were the Tony Asher GV lyrics, DLYW, Barnyard, I'm In Great Shape, and I Wanna Be Around. Everywhere I've read says that Holidays, Look, CIFOTM, and Da Da were all new ones written in 2003.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »

Concerning songs such as Holidays, Look, CITFOTM, I Love to Say Da Da, and any other I have failed to mention; would Brian be recording the instrumental tracks without knowledge of the lyrics? Considering the songs recorded on albums previously, would Brian even endeavor to record the track without lyrics having been written? It is well known that he heard and planned all the vocal melodies in his head before and during the recording of the instrumental tracks, but did he ever record instrumental tracks before the lyrics had been written on any of his songs prior to SMiLE!? Would just the melodies of the vox be sufficient enough for him to record whole tracks?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were lyrics written that have disappeared, been destroyed, or been abducted by aliens...who the heck knows.

Regardless, it would be very hard to top the lyrics written for BWPS, IMO.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »

yea the lyrics for  smile 2004 fits the songs and the melody or backing track almost kinda sings the song if you know what i mean when i listen to the vintage versions.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »

As far as I know the only "missing" lyrics were the Tony Asher GV lyrics, DLYW, Barnyard, I'm In Great Shape, and I Wanna Be Around. Everywhere I've read says that Holidays, Look, CIFOTM, and Da Da were all new ones written in 2003.

Asher's lyric for "GV" has been released more than once, notably on BWPS.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 05:45:58 AM »

Asher's lyric for "GV" has been released more than once, notably on BWPS.

I think ascrodin meant that the Asher GV lyrics as well as those from DLYW, Barnyard, I'm In Great Shape and I Wanna Be Around were the only vintage lyrics heard in BWPS; the rest were newly written in 2003.

Given the chaos of the original SMiLE sessions (and their experimental nature) and the contention concerning Parks' lyrics (and Parks leaving the project), I wouldn't be surprised that Brian was recording tracks without finished lyrics.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »

What? Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Surf's Up, Vegetables, et cetera, were all vintage lyrics, too.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

What? Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Surf's Up, Vegetables, et cetera, were all vintage lyrics, too.

Of course. I think the context was SMiLE tracks not previously released (officially). Now that list is sticky as well ("Barnyard" was officially released with lyrics on the EH soundtrack; GV was released with different lyrics - twice), but you get the idea, right?
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 12:07:46 PM »

There is still some speculation about the original verse lyric for CIFOTM. Darian thought that those used by Van Dyke on BWPS were new but not even he was certain. VDP has hinted that he did write lyrics for the track back in '66. The reprise of the 'Rock rock roll Plymouth rock roll over' chant in 'On A Holiday' was said to have been meant for 'Holidays' back in '67 but I don't really buy that.

Brian stated that 'Look' was originally an instrumental so yes the lyrics for 'Song for Children', as it became, were new.

I think Brian must have hoped that VDP would come back on the project and finish off the songs but the latter did state in interviews that he had not heard (or can't remember hearing) tracks such as 'Holidays and 'Da Da'.

Cool

I guess I've got a way with girls
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »

Strange that Van Dyke can't remember Holidays, as he plays keyboard on the track - but I guess that was the 60's.

Van Dyke was familiar with Child and was involved with the song back in 66 - I doubt he would have come up with the chorus and not the verse, but the 2004 lyrics are new.  Could Van have forgot/lost the original lyrics in the post 60's haze?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx