gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:16:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Brian like a knighthood?  (Read 2779 times)
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:12:04 AM »

I guess this is aimed at those in the UK.

There is a nomination process for an honorary knighthood, and were he accepted, he would become Brian Wilson OBE.

Before going ahead, the most important question is, would he like this kind of recognition (getting the award from the Queen etc)

Then , of course, who should actually do the nominating. A record company would perhaps be best.

I think he would get it, given his later visits to this shores, and the respect  people feel.

What do people think?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »

I guess this is aimed at those in the UK.

There is a nomination process for an honorary knighthood, and were he accepted, he would become Brian Wilson OBE.

Before going ahead, the most important question is, would he like this kind of recognition (getting the award from the Queen etc)

Then , of course, who should actually do the nominating. A record company would perhaps be best.

I think he would get it, given his later visits to this shores, and the respect  people feel.

What do people think?

He would actually be styled as Mr. Brian Wilson KBE (Knight Commander of the British Empire or in full, Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the Brithish Empire). OBE - Officer of the British Empire - is two degrees lower than KBE.

I'm sure Brian would be thrilled, but looking at it realistically, his achievements to date hardly merit such an award (to avoid the obvious Bob Geldof comment, his award wasn't for music). That said, Terry Wogan is an honorary KBE so maybe...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:47:48 AM »

I was thinking, as Bill Bryson won an OBE, Brian could get the same. But I see you are right.

So...

Knight/Dame
Awarded for a pre-eminent contribution in any field of activity, through:

* achievement or service to the community usually, but not exclusively, at national level; or
    * in a capacity which will be recognised by peer groups as inspirational and significant nationally; and
    * which demonstrates sustained commitment.

I think more than 40 years of creating popular music which has profoundly influenced his contemporaries, and future generations, should get the ball rolling. Then, an against-the-odds battle against personal problems, to debut new pieces of work in the UK, at festivals and large concert halls.

I'm sure that McCartney, et al would support the nomination were it to get to such a stage.

Will need a letter campaign to kick it off, though. Any takers?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:14:23 AM »

I'd support a bid to knight Brian -  but I'll fight anyone who tries to have him named a dame!

To me (and all here I guess) his achievements are outstanding. There'll no doubt be nay-sayers though who claim awarding such an honour (honor?) to an American pop star cheapens the system. It's unavoidable. They'll also say he was rewarded already with record sales... but then so was Macca...

I can imagine it now...

"Arise, Sir Brian"

"Hey, thanks Queenie!"

“We live in divisive times.”
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »

Brian has just received the American equivalent of a Knighthood in the form of the Kennedy Center Honor.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »

Knight/Dame
Awarded for a pre-eminent contribution in any field of activity, through:

* achievement or service to the community usually, but not exclusively, at national level; or
    * in a capacity which will be recognised by peer groups as inspirational and significant nationally; and
    * which demonstrates sustained commitment.

I think more than 40 years of creating popular music which has profoundly influenced his contemporaries, and future generations, should get the ball rolling. Then, an against-the-odds battle against personal problems, to debut new pieces of work in the UK, at festivals and large concert halls.

I'm sure that McCartney, et al would support the nomination were it to get to such a stage.

Will need a letter campaign to kick it off, though. Any takers?

Sounds like Brian is well-qualified. I did a letter-writing campaign for the Kennedy Center (and that was partly because Americans seem clueless about the brilliance of Brian, our fellow American). The knighthood thing should probably be led by a British fan. Anyone, anyone?
Wilsonista
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:32:22 PM »

Brian has just received the American equivalent of a Knighthood in the form of the Kennedy Center Honor.

He's deserving of a British Knighthood because his impact has been felt far greater in the UK than in the US.

Besides, nobody outside of us even knows what the Kennedy Center award is.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »

Stupid idea.

Let the British soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan get *honorary knighthood*. They are taking bullets.

Brian Wilson? I love the dude but he's not worthy of that. I'm sure there is some other award more that is more appropriate.

Meanwhile Brian and co. stab his American fans in the back while he continually performs his new music overseas. Thanx Brian.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:36:54 PM »

Stupid idea.

Let the British soldiers fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan get *honorary knighthood*. They are taking bullets.

Brian Wilson? I love the dude but he's not worthy of that. I'm sure there is some other award more that is more appropriate.

Meanwhile Brian and co. stab his American fans in the back while he continually performs his new music overseas. Thanx Brian.

Would you like a hug? Seems like you're having a rough go of it today.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:25:30 PM »

We are forgetting one MAJOR factor. Brian Wilson is not british.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »

Good point Jay.

Thank Brian's "people".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »

As carl r said, Bill Bryson has an OBE, and he's not British, either.

Bill Bryson lives in the UK, though, doesn't he?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 11:23:37 PM »

Bryson's OBE was also honorary, for services to literature: he's lived in the UK from 1977-1995 and since 2003. Married to an English girl.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »

Ouch!  The US does well:  plenty of gigs by the BBs who hit the UK maybe three times in a decade; you get Al's gig which we Brits never get; and BW DOES tour there.

Having been to BW shows in the US and here in the UK, I can see why he prefers to our here - he sells out and gets a rapturous reception.

His management might seem a little vague at times but I don't think they or he have stabbed fans in the back (unless you count limited edition dolls, and multiple re-issues of Roxy with a growing number of bonus tracks!)

“We live in divisive times.”
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 03:43:08 AM »

Fair enough, you're entitled to disagree. And you have a point. I have yet to see a picture of a politician on either side of the Atlantic meet any injured servicemen or visit them in hospital. Same goes for the civilian casualties in the areas of war.

Despite his issues, I'd rather that there were more people like Brian around than the aforementioned politicians. If only Adolf Hitler had spent his days scratching around for a pencil in order to write a letter in order to invite Josef Stalin for tea. Or even lying in bed instead.

Fact is, in the anachronistic ordered chaos of Britain's unwritten constitution, knighthoods now cover a variety of things and entertainment and music is one of them. Brian Wilson is one of the top 5 composers in my lifetime, in my opinion, and has taken to the UK, so... why not...? While he is still around?

I think it's odd too that he hasn't too many US dates lined up, but they may be coming sooner than you think.

Stupid idea.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx