gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681494 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 06:38:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recording Sunflower: a blog  (Read 8675 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:13:48 PM »

I started another blog, not about me this time, about the recording process behind the Sunflower LP:

http://recordingsunflower.blogspot.com/

Feel free to correct or add info.  I'm drawing upon Steve's book, my personal archive, contemporaneous reports, and my ears to document the work that went into creating a unique sonic masterpiece.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »

Great ! I'm looking forward to read this !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »

That's a great idea!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 06:08:56 PM »

rad! Id love to see something like this for Holland and So Tough!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 06:48:38 PM »

I agree with Jonas and I can't wait to read!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »

btw, i read where someone said this album is the Sgt. Pepper of the Beach Boys, i disagree...what did they mean by that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »

Wow, this is great. If only there was one of these for every album. I love knowing who played on what track and how.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »

btw, i read where someone said this album is the Sgt. Pepper of the Beach Boys, i disagree...what did they mean by that?

Probably that it was their "crowning achievement" studio-sound wise. 
I would maybe call it their "Abbey Road". 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »

rad! Id love to see something like this for Holland and So Tough!

Actually, I'd love to see this for all of the post-Capitol albums, as there's much less in-depth session info for post 1969 material. I mean, the fact that the bassist on "Slip On Through" is unknown  ,for instance, bears this out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »

Well lucky for us we have Desper's books on Sunflower/Surf's Up so that pretty much covers those. Thats why something on Holland/So Tough which are virtually unknown would be wicked.

But yeah, throw in 20/20, Wild Honey, and Friends - then we'd be golden!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »

'Someone' was a UK review - might have been Melody MakerSmiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 02:18:30 AM »

H - a techie question.  why would basic tracks have been recorded on eight-track and transferred to sixteen?  why not straight to sixteen?
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 04:28:31 AM »

Excellent work! Thanks!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 04:42:59 AM »

H - a techie question.  why would basic tracks have been recorded on eight-track and transferred to sixteen?  why not straight to sixteen?

Because Brian's Home Studio didn't have a 16-track deck until late '69...so a few things were originally cut on 8-track, filling up the tape, then transferred to 16-track (after they got one) to add more overdubs.  Such was the case with "Forever":  the basic 8-track tape is from early '69 (Gold Star), then it was transferred to 16-track later that year for extra vocal overdubs.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 05:25:02 AM »

Thanks, Aeitzsche, for the blog. Sunflower is my favourite BBs album (after Smiley Smile), and i can't get enough of it.

What really seems to come out so far is how integral Stephen Desper was. He is like a 7th/8th/9th Beach Boy, and it's a shame that his involvement didn't last longer. Holland would have sounded so much better had he gone to Holland, or , more likely, had the BBs not gone.

You know you're a big music nerd when you have favourite recording engineers, but I am and Desper is joint top with Stephen Barncard (who had a way of recording acoustic guitars that can make you cry - check out Crosby's solo album If I Could Only Remember My Name).

These two guys were coming of age at the same time, and does anyone know if they knew each other? Was there some great cult of audiophiles who hung out together in the 60s and 70s passing joints and trading secrets about mic'ing moogs? Please tell me there was...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 06:05:17 AM »

Probably that it was their "crowning achievement" studio-sound wise. 
I would maybe call it their "Abbey Road". 

-Edit-

I believe the same newspaper said that the sound is alot better than on "Abbey Road".

I'd call "Holland" their "Abbey road" btw...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:09:15 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 06:06:01 AM »

'Someone' was a UK review - might have been Melody MakerSmiley
I think it might even have been 'Disc and Music Echo' ! Very influential in 1970.

The point about that quote is that it reflects the situation at the time, due to two factors:
1. There was a sudden boom in 69/70 in the sale of stereo equipment, reflected for example in the sales figures for 'Bridge over Troubled Water'. Suddenly everyone wanted highly produced stereo LPs.
2. The BBs had up until 'Sunflower' let the music world down on that score - post-Smile, three low-key, all-but-mono records without the production values they could display.
Hence the 'Sgt Pepper' quote - the UK press had been waiting for something which sounded that impressive from the BBs for three years. What we may think of the comparison now is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:07:33 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 07:19:07 AM »

Cool site. By the way-make sure that you check the Gigs/Sessions part of AGD's Bellagio site for dates of sessions. AGD has done alot of work on getting corrected session dates.  The session info for 1969 and 1970 is straight from the tape boxes-so many corrections to previous info. Notably for your blog so far-there was a session for Add Some Music on Oct 28 1969. Check it out
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 10:46:03 AM »

Thanks, Ian.  And everybody for their input.

I'm so bad with dates.  For some reason I tend to forget those but remember musicians and stuff.

For those people who like this kind of thing and would like to see more, don't forget, of course, C-man's incredible beachboysarchives.com site with ridiculously deep analysis of mid-sixties sessions.

Also, if the stars align, there may in the future be a more substantive and physical resource following the basic idea of the sunflower blog, but for the Beach Boys' whole career.  Keep your fingers crossed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 08:46:39 PM »

That'd be the greatest thing ever.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 04:33:33 AM »

Well...since sliced bread, anyway.  Smiley
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 05:03:59 AM »

Great Blog Aeitzsche!
   I can't wait 'til you post the stats on "At My Window".I've often wondered who did what vocals on that favorite track of mine.
   Oh,and who played the Acoustic Guitar on that? Anybody?

Cheers,
Big Bri
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 10:42:24 AM »

Well...since sliced bread, anyway.  Smiley
Man, screw that! Call it Sliced Bread #2, cause it's twice as good! LOL

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »

Not-so-off-topic: does anyone know when Steve Desper's updated book will be released? We haven't heard from him recently...  Huh

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »

So sad to see this wasn't finished, I'd love to know more about how All I Wanna Do was recorded in particular. Hopefully one day it'll be completed  Smiley

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx